• Feb 13th, 2021 9:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2372 posts
700 upvotes

Contacting TD during Pandemic

I've been trying to contact TD Canada Trust several times over the past few weeks and I'm getting frustrated. This is regarding investment (not direct investing) and what I need to do is not possible over EasyWeb. Their phone lines are open only from 8AM - 6PM Eastern and I cannot even get through to be put on hold. The system just hangs up on me.
If I call my closest branch they want me to come in to talk to an advisor, which I refuse since I'm in self-quarantine and the problem is not that complex to be needing this.
Any suggestions? Anybody else frustrated that TD has not added extra EasyWeb self-serve options for us to do what we need on our own computer?
88 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25389 posts
4507 upvotes
Had the same experience with BMO yesterday. Couldn't even get through to their automated system. I just kept trying and eventually got through. So you'll either need to keep trying or you'll have to go into the branch.

Not sure if there's a different number for those in Quebec, but if so, you could try that. If it's not routed through the same system, you may have better luck doing that
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2372 posts
700 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Had the same experience with BMO yesterday. Couldn't even get through to their automated system. I just kept trying and eventually got through. So you'll either need to keep trying or you'll have to go into the branch.

Not sure if there's a different number for those in Quebec, but if so, you could try that. If it's not routed through the same system, you may have better luck doing that
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Quebec number.
I will keep trying the EasyLine during regular hours. Is there any chance I can get a financial advisor at a local branch to help me over the phone, instead of me having to go in in person?
Jan 13, 2016
534 posts
286 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
When i set up an appointment with a td advisor, i received an email with the advisor's name and email address. So you could try to email them once you got an appointment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35524 posts
21577 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not a joke, but I've been unsuccessful to the point that I have decided to close my chequing account and moving it over to Simplii.
For one week straight, I tried to call in for easyweb support and would hear the same message of experiencing higher than normal call volumes and to try again... it disconnects you right away.

Same shit with RBC (I'm having bad luck with online banking), but at least I got through after 1hr45min.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10044 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
To be fair I think most banks are struggling because so many people are calling in due to the monetary issues coronavirus is causing. Most things don't work well when everyone uses them at the same time.

How bad were simplii's call times?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2372 posts
700 upvotes
Latebuyer wrote: When i set up an appointment with a td advisor, i received an email with the advisor's name and email address. So you could try to email them once you got an appointment.
I usually set up appointments over the phone, so I never get an email address for the advisor. I suppose I can try to set up an appointment online and see what happens.
vkizzle wrote: Not a joke, but I've been unsuccessful to the point that I have decided to close my chequing account and moving it over to Simplii.
For one week straight, I tried to call in for easyweb support and would hear the same message of experiencing higher than normal call volumes and to try again... it disconnects you right away.

Same shit with RBC (I'm having bad luck with online banking), but at least I got through after 1hr45min.
And here I was thinking it was only me. I get why there are long wait times at various call centres and it is understandable. But when a huge bank like TD is not able in 5 weeks to figure out how to stream line their EasyWeb, so everybody can get a chance to contact a representative either through a call back, or via chat, there is something seriously wrong with the management of this institution. I thought this can only happen in communist/dictatorship countries, that there are instances where you effectively lose access to your money. I am exaggerating of course, but you get my point.
If I didn't have registered products at TD I would be considering a similar step and moving away from them for good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5525 posts
4507 upvotes
Edmonton
Here's a trick to get through to TD instantly. Sign up for the TD waterhouse app on your phone and sign in to your account. Then phone them from within your app. It verifies you and puts you to the FRONT of the line. They pick up within 30 seconds every time. Not sure why or how this works but it does. Try it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35524 posts
21577 upvotes
Center of Universe
adamtheman wrote: Here's a trick to get through to TD instantly. Sign up for the TD waterhouse app on your phone and sign in to your account. Then phone them from within your app. It verifies you and puts you to the FRONT of the line. They pick up within 30 seconds every time. Not sure why or how this works but it does. Try it.
The problem is I wasn't able to sign in at all.
I get past the 2FA and then it I get a message "something went wrong" and to call in.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7388 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
After hours on hold the last few days without success my wife tried French today and wait time was minimal in comparison, 30 minutes. She has rarely used her French or Spanish in decades. They switched to English after a minute because the CSR was not Francophone either.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4570 posts
4627 upvotes
Vancouver
The response of the Canadian banks and investment firms has been one of the glaring weak points during this crisis. Their customer service collapsed immediately and hard just when they were needed in the financial crisis and ever since. Many other organizations struggled, but dealt with it, while many banks and investment firms did not. I think there's going to be considerable backlash as things get back to normal.

TD was one of the worst, and TDDI remains virtually inaccessible. I've been trying to get hold of them for a month without success to fix problems of their creation that can't be handled online. I will definitely be dumping them as soon as I am able to get through.

By comparison there are some standouts that show just how poor the rest have been. I've had to call Hubert a couple of times too, and they had a real human customer service agent answer the phone within 10 seconds each time and help me out immediately - just as always in normal times.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35524 posts
21577 upvotes
Center of Universe
Scote64 wrote: The response of the Canadian banks and investment firms has been one of the glaring weak points during this crisis. Their customer service collapsed immediately and hard just when they were needed in the financial crisis and ever since. Many other organizations struggled, but dealt with it, while many banks and investment firms did not. I think there's going to be considerable backlash as things get back to normal.

TD was one of the worst, and TDDI remains virtually inaccessible. I've been trying to get hold of them for a month without success to fix problems of their creation that can't be handled online. I will definitely be dumping them as soon as I am able to get through.

By comparison there are some standouts that show just how poor the rest have been. I've had to call Hubert a couple of times too, and they had a real human customer service agent answer the phone within 10 seconds each time and help me out immediately - just as always in normal times.
To be fair, it's a 100:1 ratio of TD customers compared to Hubert.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10044 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
So the expectation is the Financial Institutions have pre-hired and maintained 8-10x more staff than they need to just to be prepared during a pandemic or other major emergency?

I don't think most companies would thrive with that kind of redundancy. I also don't think many organizations were prepared for a major epidemic, including governments.

I think we'll see changes when this is all said and done. The epidemic has pointed out some pretty big flaws in the call centre model. Not a good environment to work in during a pandemic. You start to lose people who show symptoms. Staffing levels go down, and it's going to be hard to hire and train people in a short amount of time. I am curious to see what these structural changes will look from corporation once this has all passed, and they have the ability to start figuring stuff out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2372 posts
700 upvotes
zod wrote: So the expectation is the Financial Institutions have pre-hired and maintained 8-10x more staff than they need to just to be prepared during a pandemic or other major emergency?

I don't think most companies would thrive with that kind of redundancy. I also don't think many organizations were prepared for a major epidemic, including governments.

I think we'll see changes when this is all said and done. The epidemic has pointed out some pretty big flaws in the call centre model. Not a good environment to work in during a pandemic. You start to lose people who show symptoms. Staffing levels go down, and it's going to be hard to hire and train people in a short amount of time. I am curious to see what these structural changes will look from corporation once this has all passed, and they have the ability to start figuring stuff out.
Good point, but how hard can it be for a company with the budget of TD Canada Trust, to be able in the course of 5 weeks hire IT people (or organize the ones already working for TD, staffing levels permitting) to make (even temporary) changes to their EasyWeb to give more power to customers over their finances?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7388 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
There is a disconnect in some of these banks between some retail and online products. I know last time I was in branch trying to get funds into WebBroker from a different TD account they had to fax something to get it processed by a team behind the scenes to get, a legacy created over decades and acquisitions that newer banks with smaller product offerings do not face. Not something easily tweaked but I'm sure they will be looking at streamlining and integrating their products more when the dust settles.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4570 posts
4627 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: So the expectation is the Financial Institutions have pre-hired and maintained 8-10x more staff than they need to just to be prepared during a pandemic or other major emergency?
Reductio ad absurdum. Obviously nobody expects that.

The problem is that in recent years they reduced their customer service to low and fragile levels, and then were caught flat-footed with no plan when the crisis hit. They can certainly be blamed for that.

A crisis plan would reasonably have included elements like:
- Ability to rapidly expand web service capacity by buying extra commercial capacity from outfits like Amazon Web Services
- Standby staffing plans and ability to add many temporary workers quickly.
- Plans to divide and prioritize needs for customer service: more online capabilities not needing a human agent, less experienced staff to handle routine requests while more experienced staff assigned to more complex requests
- Better ability to respond to email and online message submissions instead of making people wait for hours on the phone only to have the call drop.
- Callback scheduling. There is no excuse for not having this.

This didn't happen because they had no plan in place and couldn't respond quickly when a crisis hit. Maybe some of the management who were ramping up fees and profits and pocketing fat bonuses while failing to plan for contingencies should take the responsibility.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2240 posts
3547 upvotes
Toronto
I had to call TD earlier in the week to switch my Aeroplan Visa into the CB Visa. I was on hold for just about 3 minutes during lunch hour. Thank goodness that's the only time I've had to call in for anything in the last month.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10044 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
I agree on some of that, but I think it's harder to have temp workers in place. You need them to be trained up, and for them to be good, you need them to have a little experience in the role (they need to learn all of TD's systems and procedures). I think the staffing is the hardest thing to do. I agree that maybe it's been a little to tight, which gave almost no wiggle room. On the hand I don't think them having a huge redundant pool of talent on standby that can magically step into the role when volumes go up 10 fold.

The rest of the stuff, I agree with. I haven't personally been hit by the brunt of these long wait times. The only reason I ever need to step foot in a branch is to get US dollars for a trip south of the border (Which currently isn't an issue) and renewing the mortgage every 5 years. More access to requesting things via secure email on the website would be great. I have an old RBC account and they can do quite a bit via their secured email.

paying bills, moving funds in/out of my bank account to DI, placing orders, I've had no problems doing any of that stuff online. The only time I've had to call in was to cancel a mutual fund order (E series) that I placed online. I wasn't watching the clock and missed mutual fund order cutoff for the day. Had to call to cancel it so I could put in an order for an ETF instead.

Hopefully the current circumstances create some changes after all is said and done. So many companies are struggling with what the pandemic has done. No one really saw it coming as we haven't had anything like this in most of our lifetimes. It's going to be interesting seeing the changes that come out of all of this.

Then again the only real things that seemed to have stuck since 9/11 are taking your shoes off for american flights, carry on restrictions, and mandatory passport requirements. Most of the rest seemed to fade away.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5918 posts
2866 upvotes
Global Village
TD has overly relied on their branch-based business model for consumers when they should have invested more in their online/phone banking presence like Scotia did with Tangerine and CIBC did with Simplii. Now they are paying the price.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
7143 posts
3943 upvotes
Winnipeg
i got a hold of BMO on Monday.. It took me 3 HOURS on hold.. I called at 8:30 am Central time and got the call at 11:30 a.m.. I got through by saying i wanted to speak with an agent by pressing 0.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land