Contacting TD during Pandemic

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 9:56 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11386 upvotes
zod wrote: What kind of stuff can you do online at Simplii/Tangerine that you can't do at TD? I know Tangerine allows EFT's to any Canadian bank account. I always thought that was cool.

I legit never seem to need to into a branch except to get US currency or renew a mortgage. I can do my investments (through DI) online, pay my bills online, etc.... I can move funds around online between all my accounts. There's very little in my day to day life that requires an in person visit. I guess I'm low maintenance. What does everyone else wish they (or other Canadian banks) would add to their online platforms?
sometimes it's just much faster to go into a branch than site on hold for 30 mins...
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
faken wrote: sometimes it's just much faster to go into a branch than site on hold for 30 mins...
Unfortunately if you need anything from TDDI, the branch agents have to call TDDI and sit on hold just as long as you would.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
faken wrote: i got a hold of BMO on Monday.. It took me 3 HOURS on hold.. I called at 8:30 am Central time and got the call at 11:30 a.m.. I got through by saying i wanted to speak with an agent by pressing 0.
Might be faster to call the local branch even if it's temporary closed. They are converting the branches that are closed into call centre and the tellers and personal bankers are call centre staff. A lot of them are the ones who are now responding to online banking messages and leads,
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Thrasher wrote: Good point, but how hard can it be for a company with the budget of TD Canada Trust, to be able in the course of 5 weeks hire IT people (or organize the ones already working for TD, staffing levels permitting) to make (even temporary) changes to their EasyWeb to give more power to customers over their finances?
Most of their IT had to support the government in pushing their programs like CEBA and payment deferral programs.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
adamtheman wrote: Here's a trick to get through to TD instantly. Sign up for the TD waterhouse app on your phone and sign in to your account. Then phone them from within your app. It verifies you and puts you to the FRONT of the line. They pick up within 30 seconds every time. Not sure why or how this works but it does. Try it.
Lies! TD told us by email to do this but it didn't help.
Jul 17, 2018
317 posts
164 upvotes
scoper wrote: TD has overly relied on their branch-based business model for consumers when they should have invested more in their online/phone banking presence like Scotia did with Tangerine and CIBC did with Simplii. Now they are paying the price.
Are they really paying the price though? How are the other Big 5 banks doing in terms of phone response time?I tried calling Tangerine to ask a question and had to give up after an hour. There are no physical branches to go to. While frustrating it's not that big of a deal since that's what I signed up for.
Dec 13, 2015
242 posts
128 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Is there a way to call TD Direct Investing from within the TD App?
An advsiro suggested it to me as a faster way to connect to a customer service rep, but I can't see a way to do it from within the app?
Dec 1, 2007
144 posts
74 upvotes
breezy11 wrote: Is there a way to call TD Direct Investing from within the TD App?
An advsiro suggested it to me as a faster way to connect to a customer service rep, but I can't see a way to do it from within the app?
Yes, once you log into your account, click on contact us, then at the bottom of hte list choose "Call us" and then select TD Direct investing on the next list. I got through really quickly and you will be automatically authenticated as well which is a nice bonus.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Attempt to access TD via online app:
"Something went wrong on our end and we're working hard to fix it. For help, please call us toll-free..." yeah, right

Attempt to call TD credit card number to report lost or stolen card (to report a previously missing card that showed up in the mail today 10 weeks late!):
First try: 5 minutes of working through prompts, then *click*, call disconnects
2nd try: another 5 minutes of working through prompts, then "We are currently experiencing difficulties, call again later"

TD is beyond pathetic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2515 upvotes
does it matter?
Scote64 wrote: Attempt to access TD via online app:
"Something went wrong on our end and we're working hard to fix it. For help, please call us toll-free..." yeah, right

Attempt to call TD credit card number to report lost or stolen card (to report a previously missing card that showed up in the mail today 10 weeks late!):
First try: 5 minutes of working through prompts, then *click*, call disconnects
2nd try: another 5 minutes of working through prompts, then "We are currently experiencing difficulties, call again later"

TD is beyond pathetic.
I have feeling the issue may be large part of this support may be outsourced to India. Since they are lock down no one is working. And TD has no idea how to deal with this issue.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
zod wrote: What kind of stuff can you do online at Simplii/Tangerine that you can't do at TD? I know Tangerine allows EFT's to any Canadian bank account. I always thought that was cool.
To me it's more about what TD does not offer that the online banks do. If they are smart they will reintroduce Canada Trust as an online bank finally offering chequing accounts with no minimums, ideally a hybrid account like EQ with bill payments and free e-transfers, more competitive savings account and GIC rates, debit cards for access to TD ATM's and finally compete with Tangerine, Simplii, EQ without the expense of branches. They have the infrastucture to offer virtually full service web/phone banking, they should have done this years ago instead of paying people $300 each year to open their antiquated chequing accounts.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
GooseAkuma wrote: Are they really paying the price though? How are the other Big 5 banks doing in terms of phone response time?I tried calling Tangerine to ask a question and had to give up after an hour. There are no physical branches to go to. While frustrating it's not that big of a deal since that's what I signed up for.
I think they are, the future of full service consumer banking has clearly been web/phone based and Covid 19 has only reinforced that.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2515 upvotes
does it matter?
scoper wrote: To me it's more about what TD does not offer that the online banks do. If they are smart they will reintroduce Canada Trust as an online bank finally offering chequing accounts with no minimums, ideally a hybrid account like EQ with bill payments and free e-transfers, more competitive savings account and GIC rates, debit cards for access to TD ATM's and finally compete with Tangerine, Simplii, EQ without the expense of branches. They have the infrastucture to offer virtually full service web/phone banking, they should have done this years ago instead of paying people $300 each year to open their antiquated chequing accounts.
You are old.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
scoper wrote: To me it's more about what TD does not offer that the online banks do. If they are smart they will reintroduce Canada Trust as an online bank finally offering chequing accounts with no minimums, ideally a hybrid account like EQ with bill payments and free e-transfers, more competitive savings account and GIC rates, debit cards for access to TD ATM's and finally compete with Tangerine, Simplii, EQ without the expense of branches. They have the infrastucture to offer virtually full service web/phone banking, they should have done this years ago instead of paying people $300 each year to open their antiquated chequing accounts.
I guess. So it's not so much the online capabilities your frustrated with (give or take a feature or two). You're looking for a slimmed down version that eliminates fees and has better interest rates. I guess that would be up to TD to crunch those numbers and see if it's worth entering that marketspace?
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
callernamet wrote: You are old.
Maybe, but they do own the Canada Trust brand and it was a popular 1 so it's logical they would choose to use it instead of coming up with something new. The alternative would be to buy an online bank like EQ but it will most likely cost more than the rebrand.

Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
zod wrote: I guess. So it's not so much the online capabilities your frustrated with (give or take a feature or two). You're looking for a slimmed down version that eliminates fees and has better interest rates. I guess that would be up to TD to crunch those numbers and see if it's worth entering that marketspace?
It wouldn't need to be that slimmed down, when you look at Tangerine and Simplii they still offer credit cards, chequing, savings, RRSP, TFSA, RRIF, investments, loans, mortgages, etc just no branches, less physical touch-points, less fees, no minimums, more competitive rates. There is no reason TD can't compete with them, it is a less profitable business but it's the type of banking that would help them be more viable in Canada going forward.

May 24, 2018
799 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
There was a 1:28pm @TD_Canada tweet today
If you're a healthcare professional or over 75, and we have that information in our system, your calls will be prioritized in our queue to help you with banking needs.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11386 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Might be faster to call the local branch even if it's temporary closed. They are converting the branches that are closed into call centre and the tellers and personal bankers are call centre staff. A lot of them are the ones who are now responding to online banking messages and leads,
wow i did not know that! Thank you!!!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm glad I opened a Simplii account.
I was able to call in and connect to a rep in less than 10mins.