• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 3:14 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2016
6991 posts
6251 upvotes
GTA, ON
Pardon wrote: I contacted them and was told "It must be an original essay each day."
Do you really think they will check?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
1465 posts
17342 upvotes
krag48 wrote: Do you really think they will check?
Hard to definitively say yes or no. All that is required is a program that spots similarities and you could be DQ’d.

Considering it’s only 50 words and you can pick 30 different countries or cities to write about its not that difficult to do.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11300 posts
4457 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
Got an email from Economax saying I was one of ten finalists for a recent contest. Apparently they choose 10 people and then pick one winner from those. Replied back but not hoping for much.
Deal Guru
Mar 24, 2005
12060 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
krag48 wrote: Do you really think they will check?
Pardon wrote: Hard to definitively say yes or no. All that is required is a program that spots similarities and you could be DQ’d.

Considering it’s only 50 words and you can pick 30 different countries or cities to write about its not that difficult to do.
As someone who builds scripts/algorithms for market patterns & data discrepancies, I would guess it's extremely likely they have an automated scripts capable of doing this. It's not very difficult to build, we typically ask our co-ops to build/manage these.

However, what their threshold to say "original or not" is up to them, and to that I say YMMV.
Nov 11, 2011
378 posts
445 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Pardon wrote: I contacted them and was told "It must be an original essay each day."
Perfect-thanks for asking!
I have been doing an original anyway to be on the safe side so that is wonderful to have confirmed-thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2077 posts
22665 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've noticed a couple of contests go off the air just to avoid having to pick a random contestant. One is the Cape Breton Nova Scotia trip. It seems you can't enter anymore, and they say they'll pick a winner. Are they only going to pick from the early batch? It's not when it's supposed to end... I seen another walk on movie role contest go off before it was due to being posted online. I'm not sure I'm with you on this, but when you put up a contest, contestants from all over will flock, and if it's not supposed to be luck, than what is it. I hate when companies look only to gain exposure and cancel a contest after it makes it to a contest forum due to the increased sign ups. It's ridiculous. It should be reported as contestants shouldn't lurk in the shadows, but rather share so if they don't get lucky, maybe someone else can. People share things, if it's on their phones, apps, etc but simple minded sponsors, what do they think of contestants? We put some time and would like to get something back and it seems so obvious at their tactics when they take it down early that they should be reported for failing to fulfill contest standards to the masses. Some rules are just silly but deadline let's people decide when/if/who they want to tell as well to enter the contest.

Maybe they don't cater to the masses, but like an extreme winged agenda, do it only to serve themselves in what is probably not deemed a centre of the universe. Not to say people are small minded because they live in smaller places, but to say their proponent of will is so fulfilled in work that they don't even care how it tarnishes the image they are trying to relay. Than they give but not for the proponent of the contest, but rather as a business to its customer. It's publicity like this that usually reserves the right not to be engineered, and that's when people fall into their own bs rather than doing the good they do, and have something to do in your spare time that is entertaining and can yield some positive to your life for all those involved in this lot of luck. I find this forum's outline more bearable than others and still would like all contests to be fair. Would I expect the same from contestants unless I'm probably propagating the same and expecting something from a gamble. Just let contests be.

Contests are a gamble for life. They take up our time, but we usually find some fun in it, unless we just do it occasionally, but it still takes up so and so much of our time. If the world just ate time, we'd all be at the end of our ropes right now lol. To a giant object trying to secrete us. Do it for fun but you always need to win? Seems like you'll be stuck in the same cycle. This time I'm trying to win more when I want to win, but will continue to gamble with some other prizes as I don't live for free. I get caught up in the world of wants, and than stem cell back to reality and see if anything has changed. I never lose focus of my needs. This game continues not to give life everything but some things on occasion. You gotta keep your own head high, and if the sponsors are *******, call them out on it. Is this life or are we still on contests lol? You can obviously tell the near impossible odds of some, but you continue to climb cuz if you ain't going to the mountain top, you ain't got nothing on your mind to get your there. Good luck in them contests!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2077 posts
22665 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whatever, some people police contests, some people get the jist of the contest. Hopefully everyone is happy at some point, as form filling doesn't sound like any habit or hobby I wanted to develop as a kid lol. Maybe it's the antics, but they advertise some nicely, and I guess they're asking that you take the time and enjoy yourself. Read all about it, what's different, what's the same. Every contest is similar, but how is it some are the big winners, everyone has their personality that they adapt to entering these contests. It might not showcase through, but every contest you fill out gives everyone the same opportunity...apparently. That's it, good luck and hope luck has a way of catching up with you!
Jan 29, 2013
184 posts
1325 upvotes
Saskatoon Sk
stinastr wrote: Whatever, some people police contests, some people get the jist of the contest. Hopefully everyone is happy at some point, as form filling doesn't sound like any habit or hobby I wanted to develop as a kid lol. Maybe it's the antics, but they advertise some nicely, and I guess they're asking that you take the time and enjoy yourself. Read all about it, what's different, what's the same. Every contest is similar, but how is it some are the big winners, everyone has their personality that they adapt to entering these contests. It might not showcase through, but every contest you fill out gives everyone the same opportunity...apparently. That's it, good luck and hope luck has a way of catching up with you!
Stinastr I don’t always completely understand your thoughts but I always read them and I always look forward to your posts - now I would like to post my wins but sadly they’re just not happening yet - hoping for the Franks that @Kevin777 posted - thanks Stinastr for always adding something to the thread as lots of times there’s not much on here and I’m as guilty as anyone - cheers to contests and hopefully they all run legally!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2077 posts
22665 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hobi1234 wrote: Stinastr I don’t always completely understand your thoughts but I always read them and I always look forward to your posts - now I would like to post my wins but sadly they’re just not happening yet - hoping for the Franks that @Kevin777 posted - thanks Stinastr for always adding something to the thread as lots of times there’s not much on here and I’m as guilty as anyone - cheers to contests and hopefully they all run legally!
Yeah, I guess so. I'd like the main points, the starting and ending date (not necessarily the draw date, though if they don't keep it, the program may choose a completely different person after it), the title and prizes. I don't mean to say look into the sponsor or use the contest for your company in a way that comprises the date and or prizes. Every contestant knows that's the most important thing. Apart from that, take everything with a grain of salt. Even if we like the sponsor, we may decide the prize isn't what we initially set out for. I'm not much for selling things that I really don't want to miss, and I like sitting front row, makes the whole experience better, so I've been known to use lots of great prizes, but sometimes, it's better to just pass it on. If I had a bigger family I could prob sell within it lol, but yeah, every contestant I'm sure sell something at one point cuz there's really no use or a better use for something else on the menu at that point. Even with more money potentially this year, even without moving ahead, just growing, I'll have more money to do things around the city this year. That's all that counts, the improvement of your life. Entering contests is a routine, and I personally don't enter daily. I enter weekly and monthly probably, weekly the weekly and local radio, and monthly the one time contests. (when I enter the one time contests, I sometimes enter the daily, but that's an even harder shot to win one off with so many ballots lol). Good luck all entering, and entering contests is concept that can improve many lives. It has the potential. Lots of fun things to do you couldn't normally afford. Not everything needs money, and sometimes it's just in the cards. Good luck all.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2077 posts
22665 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Haven't won anything for the holidays/new year. Now not winning anything. Might be time once I get settled and happy in 2020 to start up a daily list. There's always some nice prizes, and entering once daily used to yield something I recall when I started, I always entered dailies. Seems to be time to get the engine running and do as much as possible. Going to do my run later today, but for some reason, don't have my hopes up or belief that I'll win something like I used to. Sometimes I even needed a win to get me out of my slunk. These days, I could always use a win, but they're not happening. Won't cry willow just yet, but here's to hoping that I'll get back in the winner's circle soon. Didn't overpack for 2020 so I definitely need to keep my focus and keep the fun alive. Hopefully I don't seem to much like a jackass in case sponsors are reading this, as after all, I have used most of my good prizes because they were just too good to want to nest in money instead. Not like they wanted to give you an option, but if this is a part of the system, since when did the system do anything but try to tell you what to do. I can't play simon says when I'm being dorked/worked by computer work. I wanted what they were offering, and got lucky on top of it. Good luck all in 2020. Hopefully everyone wins a prize they're chasing, though I'm sure lots of people would love to win cars and there's just not that many of those prizes around. Maybe a trip or some cool electronics! Keep playing and keeping the hope alive! And if you come close, that's life. Hopefully everyone's turn comes and we all get to share in a few fun contests or maybe post our wins at least. Good luck!
Jan 30, 2016
303 posts
916 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Anyone else keep track of the number of contests you enter? I keep track of all except like and share contests on FB, and I’ve entered 155 so far in 2020. That’s more than last January... maybe that’s a sign for a good year with lots of contests I’m eligible to enter!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1304 posts
1230 upvotes
Toronto
ImagineCH wrote: Anyone else keep track of the number of contests you enter? I keep track of all except like and share contests on FB, and I’ve entered 155 so far in 2020. That’s more than last January... maybe that’s a sign for a good year with lots of contests I’m eligible to enter!
Well, I have 45 dailies (45 x 31 = 1,395), 7 weeklies (7 x 4 = 28), 2 monthlies, and probably 150 one times? Total of about 1,575? I don't keep track though, so don't know if this is a higher number than last year or not. I'm all for more contests in 2020 though, so bring 'em on!
Jul 30, 2007
299 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
pickmepickme wrote: Well, I have 45 dailies (45 x 31 = 1,395), 7 weeklies (7 x 4 = 28), 2 monthlies, and probably 150 one times? Total of about 1,575? I don't keep track though, so don't know if this is a higher number than last year or not. I'm all for more contests in 2020 though, so bring 'em on!
How do you guys balance work and life?
Jan 30, 2016
303 posts
916 upvotes
Halifax, NS
pickmepickme wrote: Well, I have 45 dailies (45 x 31 = 1,395), 7 weeklies (7 x 4 = 28), 2 monthlies, and probably 150 one times? Total of about 1,575? I don't keep track though, so don't know if this is a higher number than last year or not. I'm all for more contests in 2020 though, so bring 'em on!
Yeah, if I counted my dailies and weeklies that way it would be higher, but not as high as yours! Wow!!
Jan 30, 2016
303 posts
916 upvotes
Halifax, NS
panzz wrote: How do you guys balance work and life?
I enter dailies/weeklies etc at night while watching TV. If we go out or something, I don’t enter that day. New contests happen usually Saturday morning while I have my coffee, or any other morning I’m awake too early before my day begins. I actually find contesting fun and relaxing.... so it helps with the mental balance. Doing something repetitive and yet keeping the mind busy enough that all the swirling thoughts of the day stay away. :)