[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:09 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1763 posts
3444 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Well one trip was supposed to be taken the very following weekend after I was told I was the potential winner. It was like 3 days advance. So I had to forfeit that and let it go to someone else. This was a small 1-2 day trip. It was also easier to forfeit this one as it was incredibly short notice and also didn't really seem worth it to fly across the country for 1-2 days and then fly home.

The second trip I was actually planning on taking. I had filled out all the forms and everything was a go. However back around the end of February when we started to hear more and more about COVID-19, I started to feel uncomfortable with the idea of flying and leaving the country. Especially when there was a high possibility that things were going to get worse (which they of course did).
Also as part of the trip, I was to pay taxes and stuff, so I didn't want to spend like $1000 on a trip I might possibly not want to take in the end anyway due to what's going on right now.
So I contacted them and said I'd like to cancel. They were sad to hear but allowed me to forfeit the prize. Since they had not made the flight/hotel arrangements just yet, I had yet to pay taxes on anything.

I just miss the excitement of seeing the standard "Congratulations...." emails in my inbox lol. Hopefully I can get something soon.
I rarely enter trips that are just 1 or 2 days. Getting to old to be bothered unless it's a short flight. Too bad about the other one and that they didn't offer to substitute cash or something else. I'm glad you weren't out opf pocket for anything. That would have really sucked.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18039 posts
25137 upvotes
ONTARIO
gofforever wrote: I rarely enter trips that are just 1 or 2 days. Getting to old to be bothered unless it's a short flight. Too bad about the other one and that they didn't offer to substitute cash or something else. I'm glad you weren't out opf pocket for anything. That would have really sucked.
I am the same, but I mainly entered because I would rather have won the secondary prize, haha. I even asked if it was possible to swap with the second place but they of course said no lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1991 posts
2293 upvotes
Canada
BobSagget wrote: Well one trip was supposed to be taken the very following weekend after I was told I was the potential winner. It was like 3 days advance. So I had to forfeit that and let it go to someone else. This was a small 1-2 day trip. It was also easier to forfeit this one as it was incredibly short notice and also didn't really seem worth it to fly across the country for 1-2 days and then fly home.

The second trip I was actually planning on taking. I had filled out all the forms and everything was a go. However back around the end of February when we started to hear more and more about COVID-19, I started to feel uncomfortable with the idea of flying and leaving the country. Especially when there was a high possibility that things were going to get worse (which they of course did).
Also as part of the trip, I was to pay taxes and stuff, so I didn't want to spend like $1000 on a trip I might possibly not want to take in the end anyway due to what's going on right now.
So I contacted them and said I'd like to cancel. They were sad to hear but allowed me to forfeit the prize. Since they had not made the flight/hotel arrangements just yet, I had yet to pay taxes on anything.

I just miss the excitement of seeing the standard "Congratulations...." emails in my inbox lol. Hopefully I can get something soon.
I am so disappointed to hear that both of your trips did not happen.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18039 posts
25137 upvotes
ONTARIO
shoppingguy wrote: I am so disappointed to hear that both of your trips did not happen.
It stinks, but over the past decade, I've been insanely lucky when it comes to trip wins, so I really can't complain. Thanks to contests posted here, I've had the opportunity to visit multiple countries and multiple Provinces/Territories here in Canada I'd otherwise never get to see.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2663 posts
25328 upvotes
Toronto, ON
anna33 wrote: What trips did you win BobSagget?
I recall one trip that I knew about that he turned out. 4 courtside tickets to L.A I believe to watch a NBA Series game and one night, 2 rooms, 2 per room I believe. Don't know what else was included, but if Bob replies, I'm sure he knows the details better.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18039 posts
25137 upvotes
ONTARIO
stinastr wrote: I recall one trip that I knew about that he turned out. 4 courtside tickets to L.A I believe to watch a NBA Series game and one night, 2 rooms, 2 per room I believe. Don't know what else was included, but if Bob replies, I'm sure he knows the details better.
You have a pretty good memory. It was just Vancouver instead of LA though. It was for the NBA Canada Series game. That was the first one one I had to forfeit.]

The other one was a tripcentral trip (through Trip Trivia).
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
2663 posts
25328 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BobSagget wrote: You have a pretty good memory. It was just Vancouver instead of LA though. It was for the NBA Canada Series game. That was the first one one I had to forfeit.]

The other one was a tripcentral trip (through Trip Trivia).
No worries. We once had a win of 28 or 30 tickets to an MLS game, in a suite I think, with food and drinks, and no one caught the email in time so it was forfeited. I couldn't go than, but still, I'll never win that many tickets to a single event ever again lol. Sucks sometimes, but life throws you good and bad curveballs sometimes. We're all hoping for a good one that we can hit and enjoy. Someone else probably got the tickets since we didn't even reply, and I'm sure someone else was chosen for the trips. Maybe it's just meant to be sometimes, but I sure know what a streak without a real grand prize feels like, I'm in one. Good luck all.
Jul 30, 2007
317 posts
2197 upvotes
Toronto

Aww.. yeah that's tough. Hopefully a congrats will come your way soon enough!
Jan 28, 2008
136 posts
135 upvotes
Milton
Can anyone tell me how to write good NPE entries essays l never know what to write!!!!! Thanks
Feb 22, 2012
613 posts
8345 upvotes
Quebec
Portia181 wrote: Can anyone tell me how to write good NPE entries essays l never know what to write!!!!! Thanks
They don't have to be good, just original and on theme. By original I mean not copied from somewhere else. Mine are boring, they don't care :)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1323 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
Portia181 wrote: Can anyone tell me how to write good NPE entries essays l never know what to write!!!!! Thanks
Just pretend that you're back at school - let the BS flow!
Feb 3, 2015
313 posts
4890 upvotes
Ontario
Theme: Pineapples
Word Count: 100+

Oh, pineapples! My favourite fruit, I can't even begin to describe how delicious they are. I love the amazing texture of the pineapple. A good pineapple has a very specific texture. I love sharing pineapples with my friends and family, and often host huge parties where we all gather to eat a variety of pineapple treats. I first had a pineapple when I was seven years old, when I was at a party with my cousins and distant family. That was the moment pineapples became my favourite fruit. I love seeing commercials of pineapples, because then I learn where I can buy more. I am a big fan of using coupons, so will frequently search the latest flyer to find the best pineapple deals.

>That was probably under a minute, ha ha. If you're ever stuck I find that typing it all first then writing it can help. Also, don't be afraid to go on insane tangents. There's a good chance that it might not even be read, they don't care at all and just need to see you have the write amount of words and reference the topic. :)
Sep 6, 2019
65 posts
115 upvotes
I got this email back in May 22, 2020 ( from updates in gmail)

You're a finalist—verify your contact information.

Hi (my name)

We're happy to let you know that you're a finalist in our Credit Card Payoff Sweepstakes contest. In order to be eligible, you'll need to update your contact information using the link below.
Confirm Contact Info
We are drawing a winner on June 15, 2020—please make sure to confirm your contact information by then.

Thank you and good luck!

I'm not sure if this is good news for me, or if other people got the same message as me