Contests

[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2020 10:43 pm
Tags:
Aug 14, 2010
70 posts
248 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: No teaching required. You've already installed Stylish. Now go here:
http://userstyles.org/styles/25923/visi ... ighlighted
and download/install the style.
Then go back into Chrome > Customize > Tools > Extensions > Stylish > Options > Edit and change the link colour to whatever you prefer (the default is green).
katieo wrote: When you are in the options section, click edit. You should see the code box with whatever colour you have specified. Right under that you will see "Applies to: everything." Click on specify and bring the option to "URLs on the domain" and then manually enter "redflagdeals.com" in the box beside it. Click save, and that should do the trick. I really suck at explaining things like this, and this is my first time using the extension, so let me know if it worked for you or not.
Many thanks to Ronin1701 for the Chrome/Stylish info! As well a big thanks to Katieo for the configuration tip!
It works great on the RFD board
Oct 10, 2006
815 posts
2015 upvotes
Outside Poker Flat
Didn't realize the thanks button wouldn't mark the thread as "read" from the forum view, I just thought the serial thankers were being pigheaded since it was added. I know I hate having to click inside threads to see QC exclusions, it's a real time waster. There may be a reason why marking threads by using the Thanks button or some other means can't be achieved, but RFD could simply be sacrificing our efficiency and forum usefulness to maximize website clicks and posts, however mindless.

It could be that eliminating the wall of thanks might actually stimulate some discussion and actual community within contest threads though. I don't think 99.9% of contest threads would contain only one post at all, it's just that nobody wants to scroll through pages of "Thanks." and "Good Luck!" to get to an actual message board discussion, so people don't bother commenting there unless they're just marking the thread.

I'm sure heartfelt and personal thanks are appreciated by some, but that doesn't absolve people who should know better thanking everything including reposts and spam ahead of the mods. How about thanking in a PM? I'll go on record as saying clicking the "Thanks" button is plenty enough for me, I know you love me already.
PART VII 206 (1) Every one is guilty...who (f) disposes of any goods, wares or merchandise by any game of chance or any game of mixed chance and skill in which the contestant or competitor pays money or other valuable consideration; Criminal Code
Deal Expert
Sep 16, 2007
15552 posts
9067 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mark The V-Man wrote: Yes I go back several times a day and scan my posts to see if people like it, if there is comments or other fun things.
before I got lost..I used to return to every single one of my threads to read every single comment. It's how I made friends and met many of my fellow contesters.
Mark The V-Man wrote: With out the thank you comments I wouldnt have met the majority of people I have met.
..and my life has never been the same :cheesygri
Mark The V-Man wrote: It could be a TY, ty, thanks, thx, thank you. great thanks, awesome thanks, nice thanks. or entered or good luck, or anything else and they all mean a little different. RIght Jeff, Laura, kim(s), kris, serena, tom, brett, bob,leslie, dave,Jane,summer,tanya,mary, etc etc. Its what makes this place different.
Push a button and I dont even know who was there.
Young padawan, you have definitely mastered the way. Right Mark..I agree wholeheartedly but my trademark is Thanked and Entered or Good Luck RFD and neither of those are listed above > :(
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Most discussion forums I frequent (non-contest), show topics with new posts in a darker colour when you come back to the forum, so that when you arrive you can read through any new comments that people have made. When I wake up each day (and sometimes several times during the day), I come to RFD and see pages upon pages of threads that appear to have new comments because they are in a darker faced print, but when you actually go into those threads, to read the new comments, it is usually just thank you messages and the thread becomes bumped to the top because of those remarks. :confused:

I actually thought that I was a part of this community by just using the thanks button and feel quite close to a lot of members and feel that I know them too, because of their real comments in the threads. :(

I have learned a lot from this discussion over the past few days though, so while it will be hard not to treat this forum as I do most of my others (financial, medical, parenting, etc.), and find new comments by looking at the threads that have been bumped to the front since I last visited, I'm going to have to give in and start the "thanking" myself and not use this forum as I do others. :)

I also always thought that the OP's could tell who thanked them with the thanks button, so am now upset that they didn't know that I was grateful for all of their hard work. :(
Jan 19, 2011
366 posts
703 upvotes
What's with the "I didn't win it must be a scam!" mentality you sometimes see on facebook?

Really stupid.
Oct 26, 2008
852 posts
9698 upvotes
Barrie
alpen wrote:
And while I'm at it... Why are teenager incapable of having a "quick" shower?

HAHAHA.. I feel your pain. I have a pre-teen who is taking 25 minute showers in the morning. I told him his body is too small to need 25 minute long showers.. he would have to be way more than the 4'4, 70 lb child he is now lol. On top of that he is now taking 15 minutes to brush his hair "just-so". Dammit, I think he has finally started noticing that girls are totally noticing him.... Damn these gorgeous child rearing genes I have... I make some fine looking babies.. I always thought it was a blessing..... ;)
:D Be Yourself.. Everyone Else Is Taken :D
:D May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night. This is a rich universe and there is plenty for all of us. I am filled with good luck. I am my wishes realized. I am a WINNER !! :D
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
I've learned even more today by joining the "thank you" club.

I had always wondered why some seasoned posters were thanking contests that were scammy, or ones that I really didn't think that they'd enter, and I now see that I'll have to thank every single contest, even though I only enter about a third of them, just so that they'll show up as "marked" for me the next time I come to the forum.

:(
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dawgct wrote: Many thanks to Ronin1701 for the Chrome/Stylish info! As well a big thanks to Katieo for the configuration tip!
It works great on the RFD board
Thanks and you're welcome :) - but I can't take credit for that. Softprog pointed it out first for Firefox and explained how to use it, and then I went looking for the Chrome version when Vilmark mentioned that he doesn't use FF.
pickmepickme wrote: I've learned even more today by joining the "thank you" club.

I had always wondered why some seasoned posters were thanking contests that were scammy, or ones that I really didn't think that they'd enter, and I now see that I'll have to thank every single contest, even though I only enter about a third of them, just so that they'll show up as "marked" for me the next time I come to the forum.

Or you can install a Firefox add-on / Chrome extension called "Stylish". You'll need to scroll back 2 or 3 pages to get to the posts with the details, but there's both a Firefox and a Chrome version that allows you to customize how your browser displays webpages. In this case, some users (including me now) use it to change the colours of all links that we've clicked on, so it's obvious which contests have been looked at, and which ones are pending. At least in the Chrome version (still trying to figure out how to do it in FF) you can also specify which domains the extension will work on, so for example it can be configured so that this only happens when you're browsing RFD (in case it gets annoying or buggy on other websites).

Hope this helps.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Or you can install a Firefox add-on / Chrome extension called "Stylish". You'll need to scroll back 2 or 3 pages to get to the posts with the details, but there's both a Firefox and a Chrome version that allows you to customize how your browser displays webpages. In this case, some users (including me now) use it to change the colours of all links that we've clicked on, so it's obvious which contests have been looked at, and which ones are pending. At least in the Chrome version (still trying to figure out how to do it in FF) you can also specify which domains the extension will work on, so for example it can be configured so that this only happens when you're browsing RFD (in case it gets annoying or buggy on other websites).

Hope this helps.

I'll look into it, thanks. I'm still going to have to go back to say thanks for a ton of contests though, because even if I use "stylish", it won't be able to go backwards in time to determine which threads I've read.

Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alpen wrote: Here's a stupid question. How do you guys get the quoting for several people you respond to, in one post?

And while I'm at it... Why are teenager incapable of having a "quick" shower?
caper2007 wrote: I don't know, and my 17 year old doesnt know either....

Ummm .... maybe they're doing other stuff, not just showering? :eek:
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pickmepickme wrote: I'll look into it, thanks. I'm still going to have to go back to say thanks for a ton of contests though, because even if I use "stylish", it won't be able to go backwards in time to determine which threads I've read.

It should work retroactively as long as you haven't deleted your browser's history. All the links I've gone to before I installed Stylish show up nice and clear in the alternate link colour I've selected.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
petern87 wrote: The email notifications were starting to bother me too. I get email pushed to my phone so it's annoying to see the facebook notifications. I don't care if its on my feed or when I open facebook, but I just don't need it to show up in my email. I've unclicked all email notifications and still keep getting them. I just started unsubscribing from them from my email. When you get the email notification, open it and then click on unsubscribe at the end of the email. I had to do it for two different apps already, one led me to do certain steps on fb and the other just guided me through it. Hopefully it works this way!! I'll let you know or you can try for yourself and see how it works too.

Do they all go to your inbox, or can you set up a filter and have all your FB emails automatically sorted into a dedicated folder?

I have mine set up so that only inbox emails show up on my phone, and all emails that get sorted to other folders are still waiting for me when I fire up my email prog on my computer. I believe you can do this as long as your mail server supports IMAP.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vilmark wrote: Yes I go back several times a day and scan my posts to see if people like it, if there is comments or other fun things. And yes I do notice the people that genuinely thank. With out the thank you comments I wouldnt have met the majority of people I have met. I have no idea who you are if you just click a button, that doesnt put a name, pic, avatar, attitude or personality on my post. I can sense mood by the way some people say thanks. It could be a TY, ty, thanks, thx, thank you. great thanks, awesome thanks, nice thanks. or entered or good luck, or anything else and they all mean a little different. RIght Jeff, Laura, kim(s), kris, serena, tom, brett, bob,leslie, dave,Jane,summer,tanya,mary, etc etc. Its what makes this place different.
Push a button and I dont even know who was there.
That's great that you enjoy the sense of community here. That's not what I'm here for, I come here to find contests, and the way I give back to the contest community is by posting even more contests. The sign of a healthy contesting community is the new quality contest threads started and the quality of posts engendered in reply, not by sheer quantity of replies.

And in case you hadn't noticed, I do post a "thanks" on occasion, but only when I can find a good comment to precede it, not just because.

While I'm sure many people do post "thanks" out of a genuine sense of gratitude for what you and other contest posters do, don't fool yourself into thinking that everyone who does that, does so for any other reason than it's the convention around here, or to mark the contests they've entered. I've also noticed that there are some who reply "thanks" without pushing "thanks" (I know that you always do both).

You're obviously reading a lot more into different variations on "thanks" than I ever have - is that like how the Sami people living in northern Scandinavia have several hundred words to describe different types of snow? :lol:
apachekeith wrote: While I don't go back religiously & scan the contests I've posted, I could see it being done.

This debate comes up every 6 months & is getting older & older each time. If everyone did it the way Ronin wants it done there would be exactly 1 post in 99.9% of the threads. Not much of a community in my mind.

I agree with Vilmark's comments above. While I don't personally know anybody on here & nobody personally knows me(other than to guess my name is probably Keith)I have figured out who the regulars are & formed a type of bond where I genuinely care about them & trust them even though I have no real idea who they are. I know that sounds weird to you Ronin but it's true. How would this possibly happen if there were only 1post per thread?
I highly doubt that. There's enough real comments going on that once in a while I do like to scan through a few of my started threads to see what people have been saying (but not enough to want to subscribe to them). Not to mention problem/issue reports, contest questions, STQ/quiz posts, UPCs, PINs, etc.

And I'm not sure how or why you're taking a bunch of RFDers posting a quick "thanks" as constituting a community. I get much more of a sense of community from the discussions that take place in this thread, and in the Contest Winners thread, and from the real comments that people sometimes choose to leave in the actual contest threads.
apachekeith wrote: Do you think you'd still feel that when someone congratulates you on a win in the Contest Winners thread it would be genuine without this bond? I doubt it. When I congratulate or thank someone I actually mean it. Do you think anybody would come in this discussion thread & ask for or give advice? How would you know if the person giving you the advice even knew what they were talking about since you've never seen a post of theirs & you have no idea they are a regular. I actually doubt there would even be a winners thread without this sense of community. I doubt there would be this discussion thread as well. What would be the point?
I think that's a bit of a stretch. Why wouldn't it be genuine? To imply that a congratulations is somehow anything less than genuine is to imply that the person offering that congratulations is being insincere, and I can't think of any reason why someone would do that - it's not like in real life where someone may gain an advantage by kissing @$$ and playing office politics.

I'm not sure how posting "thanks" in reply to a contest post suddenly makes a person any more credible than someone who doesn't, especially on technical issues which are easy enough to prove if they're correct or not. For example, it was very easy to see that Softprog's suggestion to use Stylish to mark threads was not only correct, but highly useful, even though I don't see him posting much otherwise.

Perhaps I'm a more trusting person by nature, that I choose to take a person's offered help or compliments at face value until proven otherwise?

And IMO, threads like this one and the winners' thread are what creates the community, not the other way around.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote: It should work retroactively as long as you haven't deleted your browser's history. All the links I've gone to before I installed Stylish show up nice and clear in the alternate link colour I've selected.

Thanks, I'll check it out later then.

:)