• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 11:00 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pickmepickme wrote: Most discussion forums I frequent (non-contest), show topics with new posts in a darker colour when you come back to the forum, so that when you arrive you can read through any new comments that people have made. When I wake up each day (and sometimes several times during the day), I come to RFD and see pages upon pages of threads that appear to have new comments because they are in a darker faced print, but when you actually go into those threads, to read the new comments, it is usually just thank you messages and the thread becomes bumped to the top because of those remarks. :confused:
Yup, that is a problem.
eunoia wrote: Didn't realize the thanks button wouldn't mark the thread as "read" from the forum view, I just thought the serial thankers were being pigheaded since it was added. I know I hate having to click inside threads to see QC exclusions, it's a real time waster. There may be a reason why marking threads by using the Thanks button or some other means can't be achieved, but RFD could simply be sacrificing our efficiency and forum usefulness to maximize website clicks and posts, however mindless.
Fortunately the majority of the contest posters follow the accepted posting format in this forum by posting exclusions in the thread title.

You may have something about the RFD thing, hadn't considered that.
eunoia wrote: It could be that eliminating the wall of thanks might actually stimulate some discussion and actual community within contest threads though. I don't think 99.9% of contest threads would contain only one post at all, it's just that nobody wants to scroll through pages of "Thanks." and "Good Luck!" to get to an actual message board discussion, so people don't bother commenting there unless they're just marking the thread.
That's true. Other than the contest posts that I start, the contest posts containing codes or quiz answers, and contest posts that I've replied to for a specific reason (like an issue or a question), I avoid all the other threads once I've gotten the information I need from them.

If I could reasonably expect a newly replied-to thread to contain something other than a "thanks/good luck/entered" then I'd conclude that something was up with the contest - perhaps updated information, or a problem with the contest. It would also drastically cut down on the thread bumping, so that when a new reply gets posted it would be more obvious that some sort of discussion was actually taking place.

Of course, if I could reasonably expect that most replies were conversational or informational in nature, I'd subscribe to more RFD email notifications as well. One of the few contest threads I still subscribe to is the Motorola Speed Hour, because I eagerly await the daily notification (thanks again, Spamgirl!! :) ).
eunoia wrote: I'm sure heartfelt and personal thanks are appreciated by some, but that doesn't absolve people who should know better thanking everything including reposts and spam ahead of the mods. How about thanking in a PM? I'll go on record as saying clicking the "Thanks" button is plenty enough for me, I know you love me already.
Well said, and Thanks :)
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gbamber wrote: Concerning to thank or not to thank, that is the question.

The poll has been moved to the forum Site Comments & Suggestions: poll-thank-yous-contest-threads-967360/

The poll is pretty old. Perhaps it's time to close that one down and start a new one, so the responses are fresher.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bladearts wrote: What's with the "I didn't win it must be a scam!" mentality you sometimes see on facebook?

Really stupid.

You see that type of thing (i.e. sense of entitlement) crop up on RFD as well.

Example 1:

Last week in the Hot Deals Forum it was reported that TigerDirect.ca had a website pricing error on several of their gaming computers (there was one that was showing $109.99 when the original cost was $2,099.99)!

The thread went nuts, I think there was > 800 replies in the first 12 hours.

When TigerDirect started cancelling orders the b!tching started. The thread is a lot less active now (although it's currently up to post #1,481), but they're now talking about online petitions and suing the company.

Sigh :facepalm:

Example 2:

In the Galapagos Tour contest thread that I posted, I recently had a guy b!tching to me that airfare wasn't included. Well, what the feck am I supposed to do about that??? I only post the contests - if it's not for you, then just ignore it. While it's obvious that it's not for everyone, there are definitely some people who found it useful to them.
Aug 26, 2011
418 posts
400 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm fairly new to the contest forum, and I don't want to side and make arguments because I appreciate what everyone here has contributed to the forum. I'm one of the people who click the thanks button for most of my entries and I will reply when I have something else to say other than thanks. I don't get how people think that saying thanks is what creates the community. Its the other conversations that create the community. I think the thanks button would be appreciated by more people if it tells the OP who has hit the thanks buttons. I've seen forums where it shows who has thanked the OP this way and I think that would solve some ppl's concerns about not knowing who has thanked them as well.

For the few contests that I have posted, and I emphasize few lol, I would rather see how many times the thank button has been clicked so I know in the future if I should post those contests. I go over my threads in case people have any questions about the post and usually just see posts about thanks. I think most of the times ppl say thanks just so they have a marker on the thread and that's fine, but its annoying trying to go through the contest when old threads are revived because people go on a thanking spree. I generally recognize what contests I have entered when I scan the threads, so I don't need to reply to them to mark it but it would definitely make it easier if the threads could be marked in another way other than replying.

Just throwing in my two cents! happy contesting RFDers
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
petern87 wrote: I'm fairly new to the contest forum, and I don't want to side and make arguments because I appreciate what everyone here has contributed to the forum. I'm one of the people who click the thanks button for most of my entries and I will reply when I have something else to say other than thanks. I don't get how people think that saying thanks is what creates the community. Its the other conversations that create the community. I think the thanks button would be appreciated by more people if it tells the OP who has hit the thanks buttons. I've seen forums where it shows who has thanked the OP this way and I think that would solve some ppl's concerns about not knowing who has thanked them as well.

For the few contests that I have posted, and I emphasize few lol, I would rather see how many times the thank button has been clicked so I know in the future if I should post those contests. I go over my threads in case people have any questions about the post and usually just see posts about thanks. I think most of the times ppl say thanks just so they have a marker on the thread and that's fine, but its annoying trying to go through the contest when old threads are revived because people go on a thanking spree. I generally recognize what contests I have entered when I scan the threads, so I don't need to reply to them to mark it but it would definitely make it easier if the threads could be marked in another way other than replying.

I agree, 100%.

I chat a fair bit in this thread, but I'd chat more in contest threads if I didn't have to wade through the non-conversations.

I also use that as a gauge to determine the types of contests that should be posted, and it's a lot harder to do if I have to sort through all the replies to get a count (which may not even be accurate if all people are doing is marking). [For example, I may give up on posting QC-only or QC-best contests, just because people don't really seem to care (where are all those QC-ers who complain about not enough QC-only contests, but then don't show up) - but that's a matter for another day ....]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
I downloaded the Stylish add-on, but all it does is highlight the RFD pages, not the threads. I saw a way to correct this in Chrome, but not Firefox. Can this actually be used on RFD with Firefox, or not?

:(
Mar 4, 2010
23 posts
Did anyone get a call from 1-800-300-0269 today? I called back and it was BMW I gave them my number and they didn't have any accounts pop up so I am wondering if it was a contest because I don't drive a BMW! i wish though!
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pickmepickme wrote: I downloaded the Stylish add-on, but all it does is highlight the RFD pages, not the threads. I saw a way to correct this in Chrome, but not Firefox. Can this actually be used on RFD with Firefox, or not?

It definitely does, because I'm using it right now.

Did you download the style that goes with it?

http://userstyles.org/styles/25923/visi ... ighlighted
Nov 19, 2009
170 posts
1380 upvotes
Princess.Ella wrote: Did anyone get a call from 1-800-300-0269 today? I called back and it was BMW I gave them my number and they didn't have any accounts pop up so I am wondering if it was a contest because I don't drive a BMW! i wish though!

I got this call a few days ago - no win. They want to sell you a BMW - the lady who called me was very polite,
Mar 4, 2010
23 posts
monstropaul wrote: I got this call a few days ago - no win. They want to sell you a BMW - the lady whio called me was very polite,

LOL awesome! thank you very much! You've put me at ease!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
22084 posts
4429 upvotes
North Vancouver
I'd respond by saying "oh yes, I always buy expensive cars over the phone. Here's my credit card number...."
May 30, 2007
445 posts
675 upvotes
The Pas
monstropaul wrote: I got this call a few days ago - no win. They want to sell you a BMW - the lady who called me was very polite,

I received a call too, the lady was very polite and not pushy at all. she wanted to know if I was considering buying a BMW and if I was if she could help me set up a test drive. When I told her at this point I wasn't ready to purchase she thanked me for entering and told me if I was to please contact any BMW dealer. I was on the phone for maybe 2 minutes tops.
Wins So Far For 2011 $13,540
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1308 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Just ran an AVG scan and while I usually have no infections, I now have 7 that I can't seem to remove. They are called luhe.Cryptic.D and the only thing I did yesterday, that was new, was download Stylish. I have uninstalled it now, but am still getting those 7 unhealed infections that can't even be healed manually.

Has anyone else been infected by this one? I did a google and it didn't come up with much, so even though I don't think that it is a big threat, I much prefer to see "0 infections" found when I run an anti-virus scan.

Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pickmepickme wrote: Just ran an AVG scan and while I usually have no infections, I now have 7 that I can't seem to remove. They are called luhe.Cryptic.D and the only thing I did yesterday, that was new, was download Stylish. I have uninstalled it now, but am still getting those 7 unhealed infections that can't even be healed manually.

Has anyone else been infected by this one? I did a google and it didn't come up with much, so even though I don't think that it is a big threat, I much prefer to see "0 infections" found when I run an anti-virus scan.

When was the last time you ran a full scan prior to installing Stylish?

Anyways, when I saw your post I ran a full scan to check, and I'm looking good, zero infections. I've got Stylish installed on both FF and Chrome.

FYI - I use AVG as well, so it's not a difference in the software or definitions file.

So if your computer's got viruses, you probably picked them up elsewhere.