• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 8:07 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1316 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Littlesister wrote: I would think that Vilmark wins because he spends the time and effort entering contests, I assume he belongs to more than one group which would be helpful, I would assume he also is on facebook and twitter. He would probably check to the news feeds to see if there are any new contests. He also probably also double checks the rules and any skill-testing questions to make sure they are correct. He also shares this information with the group (karma). Companies cannot hand pick contest winners to their liking.
If you enter on a regular basis you will eventually win.

I don't believe that companies choose Mark, but they definitely choose who they want to if they are unethical. Some only want a winner who fits their target demographic, and will make sure that such a person wins, instead of the first person picked from the drum. MOST do not do this, but there are definitely some very large, (formerly) respected companies who do.

:(
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1134 upvotes
Montreal
xansmommy wrote:
He said this in his blog "Eric Lichtig of California was the clear out winner. Not only going above an beyond for TOAL over the year but for this giveaway. Thanks to all that participated. Glenn Hicks was a close second and I will be putting together a care package full of awesome goodies together for him. Happy New Year everyone."

...but does anyone remember him saying that this was going to be anything but a random draw? unfollowed as well.
TannieS wrote: Here is some info from here, but someone on my FB friends list had dug deeper into it and he was a fake.

Does Glenn receive anything?

I have not following BUT are you talking about the contest is fake or the way they choose winner or never receive the prize?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
5706 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
pickmepickme wrote: Some only want a winner who fits their target demographic, and will make sure that such a person wins, instead of the first person picked from the drum. MOST do not do this, but there are definitely some very large, (formerly) respected companies who do.

:(

Really? I mean I'm sure its true but do you have any examples of what "respected" companies do this? I can only think of Nissan when they gave away a bunch of Cubes.
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
jammom wrote: I normally don't get involved in these type of discussions but I can see your logic. Out of hundreds of thousands of entrants, they look through to find Mark's entry. Wow I'm sure Mark would feel very honoured to hear this! I also win quite a lot, I hope they think I'm as special as Mark..... ;)
thanks 4 backin' me man, i no it is unfair... maybe we can get inside one day
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
Littlesister wrote: I would think that Vilmark wins because he spends the time and effort entering contests, I assume he belongs to more than one group which would be helpful, I would assume he also is on facebook and twitter. He would probably check to the news feeds to see if there are any new contests. He also probably also double checks the rules and any skill-testing questions to make sure they are correct. He also shares this information with the group (karma). Companies cannot hand pick contest winners to their liking.
If you enter on a regular basis you will eventually win.

man i enter like 30 contests per day. i doubt anyone enters more and i never win...
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1316 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Deal_Princess wrote: Really? I mean I'm sure its true but do you have any examples of what "respected" companies do this? I can only think of Nissan when they gave away a bunch of Cubes.

I don't want to "out" the company, because I'm not sure which of the two big companies knew about the cheating that was done. Both had their names attached, but maybe only one was responsible for choosing the "best" winner, and the other thought that everything was being done on the up-and-up?

This was a contest that I personally was a finalist in, and the cheating was beyond blatant, but I've also heard from other contesters over the years who also have seen "selective" winning.

I win a lot of contests though, so this is by no means the norm, but when a poster above said that it didn't happen, I had to speak up.

:|
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
jeremys0033 wrote: thanks 4 backin' me man, i no it is unfair... maybe we can get inside one day
jeremys0033 wrote: man i enter like 30 contests per day. i doubt anyone enters more and i never win...

I really hope you're not actually serious with this crap (and given your response in another thread that Vilmark must be a hacker on this board because he has so many thanks, I'm thinking you are). Jammon was obviously being sarcastic (because your theory is ridiculous and has no actual logic), and if you think no one here enters more than 30 contests a day you're highly misinformed. Most of us enter probably twice that just in dailies alone.
Jul 24, 2007
219 posts
68 upvotes
Winnipeg
jeremys0033 wrote: man i enter like 30 contests per day. i doubt anyone enters more and i never win...

Wow, a whole 30 per day. Like man, no wonder you never win.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1316 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
You're not going to win many contests if you're only entering 30 a day. I enter about 100 each and every day and I'm sure that many others enter twice that amount.

We worked on some stats a couple of years ago, and came to the conclusion that a win comes "on average" about every 700 entries.

:)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
2164 posts
1268 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: It definitely does, because I'm using it right now.

Did you download the style that goes with it?

http://userstyles.org/styles/25923/visi ... ighlighted

Thanks for this info btw, I'm using styles and it has made my life soooo much easier :)
I BOUGHT A HOUSE!
After a 3 year wait it's hard to believe I'm finally in my house. What a rollercoaster of emotions it has been.

Notable wins of 2011: Trip for 2 to Rome, 15" Macbook Pro, $500 cash for each family member =$2500, $500 in frozen meat coupons!! YAY ME.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
2164 posts
1268 upvotes
I would like to see RFD add a vote/judge sign, similar to the one time, daily, monthly that we select when posting a new contest.
I BOUGHT A HOUSE!
After a 3 year wait it's hard to believe I'm finally in my house. What a rollercoaster of emotions it has been.

Notable wins of 2011: Trip for 2 to Rome, 15" Macbook Pro, $500 cash for each family member =$2500, $500 in frozen meat coupons!! YAY ME.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
2602 posts
1166 upvotes

Everbody here enters more than you.
You're either a troll or an idiot. Neither deserves any recognition.
BTW I saw your removed post where you called Vilmark some very inappropriate things, so do us all a favor & never post here again.
If you can't find anyone else to blame :( .....You're just not looking hard enough. :lol:
Dec 28, 2006
326 posts
618 upvotes
Maple
Originally Posted by jeremys0033 View Post
man i enter like 30 contests per day. i doubt anyone enters more and i never win...
apachekeith wrote: Everbody here enters more than you.
You're either a troll or an idiot. Neither deserves any recognition.
BTW I saw your removed post where you called Vilmark some very inappropriate things, so do us all a favor & never post here again.

jeremys0033 I truly hope you believe in what you are saying and if so, there is no need for you to enter any more contests.

On a separate note, we just improved our odds!
Feb 21, 2004
128 posts
55 upvotes
Vilmark wins cause he puts the effort into his contesting...so it pays off.

But I do know for a fact that as someone posted that some companies want a specific target group to win. One contester I personally know won a big contest because the sponsor liked their last name & told them so when they spoke to them. It was somehow related to the contest..so I do believe that it does happen but for the majority of contests they are random draws..or so we would like to hope.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
smoky wrote: But I do know for a fact that as someone posted that some companies want a specific target group to win. One contester I personally know won a big contest because the sponsor liked their last name & told them so when they spoke to them.

Which is as good a reason as any to stay away from judged contests.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)