• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2020 10:34 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote: Just curious. Using your bookmark/batch method, how do you deal with the ones like Discovery Cash Cab, that have different answers daily? Do you make your bookmark to a site where people help each other with answers, do you go through each video yourself daily, or do you skip those?
That has always been the stopper for me in terms of just using excel or bookmarks. I am always eager to see how others manage their links
In the specific case of Discovery Cash Cab, it's irrelevant because the answer/score doesn't matter - you only have complete the set of questions to receive your entry (the fastest way to complete a set is of course to get three "X"s in a row).

Otherwise the answer is "it depends" (i.e. it depends on whether or not I think I need someone else's help to get the answer). But since I have all relevant links recorded in my spreadsheet, doesn't really matter since I can easily refer back to it if I need the link, and not including the Forum posts in my bookmarks reduces the amount of time it takes each batch to load.
Jan 1, 2012
0 posts
12 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: In the specific case of Discovery Cash Cab, it's irrelevant because the answer/score doesn't matter - you only have complete the set of questions to receive your entry (the fastest way to complete a set is of course to get three "X"s in a row).

Otherwise the answer is "it depends" (i.e. it depends on whether or not I think I need someone else's help to get the answer). But since I have all relevant links recorded in my spreadsheet, doesn't really matter since I can easily refer back to it if I need the link, and not including the Forum posts in my bookmarks reduces the amount of time it takes each batch to load.
Discovery Cab was the only one I could think of offhand. Some are looking for answers to get the high score, but it probably wasn't the best example. I think I understand better now. I didn't realize you were utilizing a spreadsheet as well. TY
Our charity didn't win (by votes) in the Natures Bounty contest, but we won just the same. We missed the top 3 by a few hundred votes, and Natures Bounty vitamins generously decided to donate $5000. to ME/FM Action Network anyway. They didn't have to do that- I am so impressed, and very grateful.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winner2 wrote: Discovery Cab was the only one I could think of offhand. Some are looking for answers to get the high score, but it probably wasn't the best example. I think I understand better now. I didn't realize you were utilizing a spreadsheet as well. TY
Absolutely. The bookmarks make the process more efficient, but the spreadsheet is the foundation.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
re: Hershey / O'henry "The Colossal Hockey Contest"

Has anyone tried the SMS entry method (text "win" to 73373), and if so did it work?

All I get as a reply is: "Sorry, this service is not currently running".
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm ready to bash my head into a wall.

Trying to deal with reps for four different companies (Babies 'R' Us, Staples, Wicked Lasers, Wrangler) to get answers for various rules questions, gems such as: "what constitutes a week for entry purposes?", or "how often can I enter?", or best yet: "when's the contest end date?".

And for whatever reason, none of them are capable of providing a simple straightforward answer to a simple straightforward question.

And don't get me started on ePrize.

Where do they get these people from?

:facepalm: > :( :rolleyes: :cry:

[/RANT]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9362 posts
14232 upvotes
Wow, thanks for your work ronin1701. There are a few people here who should rent themselves out as contest consultants. Best not to bash your head - but if you do, apply helmet first. :)

My Question: For the past month I have been getting weekly job offer emails - unprofessional hotmail nonsense ones. Is anyone else here receiving these? I am just wondering if my address was acquired through a contest.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8385 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto
ishfish wrote: Wow, thanks for your work ronin1701. There are a few people here who should rent themselves out as contest consultants. Best not to bash your head - but if you do, apply helmet first. :)

My Question: For the past month I have been getting weekly job offer emails - unprofessional hotmail nonsense ones. Is anyone else here receiving these? I am just wondering if my address was acquired through a contest.
I get those all the time
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9362 posts
14232 upvotes
jamesfitzgibbon wrote: I get those all the time
Thanks.
But why?
Why does the sender waste their time with this - or does it lead to sending $ to them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8385 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto
ishfish wrote: Thanks.
But why?
Why does the sender waste their time with this - or does it lead to sending $ to them.
no clue

i just dele dele dele

sorry.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
2639 posts
4386 upvotes
Vancouver
ishfish wrote: Thanks.
But why?
As with all SPAM, $$$ is the end goal.
For these it's typically one of those "Oh, you're interested in the job offer? Well there's actually a small processing/license/registration/membership/other fee required before we can proceed with your application. Please send money via Western Union / fill in your credit card payment details."
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9362 posts
14232 upvotes
frugal_fanboy wrote: As with all SPAM, $$$ is the end goal.
For these it's typically one of those "Oh, you're interested in the job offer? Well there's actually a small processing/license/registration/membership/other fee required before we can proceed with your application. Please send money via Western Union / fill in your credit card payment details."
The first one was good - it actually named a real business. But the last few have been so very painfully dull and unprofessional. I think the lack of effort is what I find most irritating.

Thanks to you both for your responses.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20951 posts
149573 upvotes
GTA
An article that may be of interest...

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... de-roseman

Regarding the comment "with most other radio contests the taxes are paid", can anyone speak to that for contests in general? I have only won one prize where there was a 'fare credit' (this was a WestJet $500 credit). The credit could only be used for the fare portion only, and the taxes I was still responsible for. In general, I am under the impression that for the vast majority of trip prizes, taxes are the responsibility of the winner?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106491 upvotes
Richmond Hill
toguy wrote: An article that may be of interest...

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... de-roseman

Regarding the comment "with most other radio contests the taxes are paid", can anyone speak to that for contests in general? I have only won one prize where there was a 'fare credit' (this was a WestJet $500 credit). The credit could only be used for the fare portion only, and the taxes I was still responsible for. In general, I am under the impression that for the vast majority of trip prizes, taxes are the responsibility of the winner?
Any reputable sponsor should say in their rules whether or not taxes are included. The better ones even give you an estimate of how much the taxes would come out to, like in the one that ActonSue posted the other day.