[Other] Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 12:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1741 posts
3430 upvotes
sherlockmandango wrote: Understood. No offense intended with my question. I know that people have their own stuff going on, and they don't necessarily have the time to post all the contests they find.
No offense taken. It was a good question and like I said if I wasn't dealing with the Air France strike I would have posted it. I just wish I could do something to make them fix their mess of a contest. I'm just glad I'm going on vacation and putting this whole mess behind me.
Jul 3, 2011
151 posts
226 upvotes
Oshawa
gofforever wrote: Is it so hard for companies to follow their own rules. I recently entered an instagram contest a friend sent me for Sofmoc shoes. Wasn't going to enter but my friend talked me into it because there wasn't many entries. The rules stated that they were going to pick 5 winners a day. The rules stated: There was a Only one (1) entry per person. Any attempt or suspected attempt to enter more than once per person, any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or entry methods not authorized by these Official Rules shall be deemed as tampering and will void all of your entries.
Not only did they not pick 5 winners a day (they only picked one winner per day) but they picked winners that clearly violated the rules. While others who entered fairly didn't win. When I emailed them about it this was there response:

Due to a very low participation rate that was either the result of people not following the rules properly or generally not taking interest enough to participate, we had to alter the rules for the competition a bit in order for the persons who participated could have a chance of being rewarded with anything. On some days, for example, we only saw three participants!
In order to have been considered for the competition, you would have had to follow us and Keds on Instagram; upload your picture wearing Keds footwear; tag both us and Keds in the picture; as well as hashtag #5Days5Ways. Anybody who did that was considered in the contest, and unfortunately, some of the people who did that posted on more than one day. We assure you that one contestant’s multiple posting did not in any way affect our decision in selecting our winners – it simply added to the number of photos that we were tagged in on that particular day.
I hope that this answers your question a bit better and thank you for participating in the contest, if you entered.

No where did they mention that they were changing the rules. The rules are still posted and no changes have been made to them.
Well all I can say is that they have lost my families business.

Sorry about the rant but I just had to let loose.
That's ridiculous!! I most certainly will be avoiding their contests in the future!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1741 posts
3430 upvotes
rockhopper wrote: That's ridiculous!! I most certainly will be avoiding their contests in the future!
Not sure if SofMoc posts a lot of contests. I don't know if I will avoid their contests or not, especially if they have a really good contest - but I would watch them closely to make sure that they followed the rules.

I'm certainly never going to buy anything in their stores again.

Edit: Thanks for the support though :D
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
40493 posts
36374 upvotes
Economy
Just missed this call- 403-559-9874. No message, blocked name.
Anyone recognise this number?
Hope I didn't miss a win........ :|
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21146 posts
152218 upvotes
GTA
valeriey wrote: Just missed this call- 403-559-9874. No message, blocked name.
Anyone recognise this number?
Hope I didn't miss a win........ :|
Whenever I see an unrecognized number on my phone, I just Google search and I usually get an idea. This one yields:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-403-559-9874

Likely telemarketers...
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
14997 posts
4922 upvotes
Toronto
gofforever wrote: Not sure if SofMoc posts a lot of contests. I don't know if I will avoid their contests or not, especially if they have a really good contest - but I would watch them closely to make sure that they followed the rules.

I'm certainly never going to buy anything in their stores again.

Edit: Thanks for the support though :D
When this happens, it shakes my faith that organizers run their contests fairly. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to intentionally discard your own Rules, keep most of the prizes and only tell people if they bother to email you. I hope they're fined and that it sends the message to other contest organizers that dirty deeds don't go unnoticed.
Wishing everyone a lucky 2020!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1741 posts
3430 upvotes
Well came home to a message from SoftMoc on my phone saying that they were not obligated to post a change in their rules and that out of the goodness of their hearts they are willing to mail me a pair of shoes. Not sure what to do. It wasn't complaining that I didn't win a prize, but that they violated the rules.

What would you guys do? I'm off to the movies now but would like to know what you guys think when I get back home.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2115 posts
22181 upvotes
Ottawa
Say THANK YOU, give them your shoe size and style preference.
gofforever wrote: Well came home to a message from SoftMoc on my phone saying that they were not obligated to post a change in their rules and that out of the goodness of their hearts they are willing to mail me a pair of shoes. Not sure what to do. It wasn't complaining that I didn't win a prize, but that they violated the rules.

What would you guys do? I'm off to the movies now but would like to know what you guys think when I get back home.
Jul 3, 2011
151 posts
226 upvotes
Oshawa
gofforever wrote: Well came home to a message from SoftMoc on my phone saying that they were not obligated to post a change in their rules and that out of the goodness of their hearts they are willing to mail me a pair of shoes. Not sure what to do. It wasn't complaining that I didn't win a prize, but that they violated the rules.

Hmmmm that's a tough one. My pride would say "Forget them!" but the rest (...errr.... MOST) of my brain would say "I put in the work, so I deserve these shoes!". I say GO FOR IT!!
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
40493 posts
36374 upvotes
Economy

If you don't want them, I wear a size 7. :D
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
14997 posts
4922 upvotes
Toronto
gofforever wrote: Well came home to a message from SoftMoc on my phone saying that they were not obligated to post a change in their rules...
Yes, they really were. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of having them.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2010
22147 posts
4481 upvotes
North Vancouver
Take the shoes. At least they are partially feeling bad.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
sherlockmandango wrote: Yes, they really were. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of having them.
I'm not an attorney but I would say that 99% of contest rules include a CYA clause under the general conditions , something like this...
The Contest Organizers reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest in whole or in part, should human intervention or an event take place that could alter or affect the administration, security, impartiality or conduct of the Contest as provided in these Contest Rules.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2013
14997 posts
4922 upvotes
Toronto
digidaze wrote: I'm not an attorney but I would say that 99% of contest rules include a CYA clause under the general conditions , something like this...
The Contest Organizers reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest in whole or in part, should human intervention or an event take place that could alter or affect the administration, security, impartiality or conduct of the Contest as provided in these Contest Rules.
Agreed. Not a lawyer either, but that's definitely a common clause. This one doesn't seem to have it, though I may have missed it.

Note that the Rules are still in their original state (none of their subsequent changes are in place) and article 18 seems to actually prohibit amendment of their Rules (except as stipulated therein, but I can't find other references to amendments in the doc).