Travel

Contiki tours...hard or soft luggage more common?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 1:31 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes

Contiki tours...hard or soft luggage more common?

Kind of a silly question...Our 24 yr old son has gone on 3 Contiki Tours and we want to get him some nice luggage for Xmas...we are wondering what is more common style for these "young folks" on these type of yours..
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1928 posts
1431 upvotes
GTA West
Give him money, or at least provide the receipt. Luggage and travel style preferences are very individual and personal.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10404 upvotes
Ottawa
Backpack. They stay in hostels and throw stuff around. Luggage will only be cumbersome.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5926 posts
2781 upvotes
Toronto
He's been on 3 of them so he should know exactly what works best, what is most common etc. - ask him.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7304 posts
2198 upvotes
T dot 6
If he is doing the type of trips where you hit up a lot of different locations, then I highly recommend a carry on sized back pack. You don't have to worry about lost luggage (which has happened to multiple friends of mine and causes a ton of stress). Also you don't waste as much time luggage pick up at airports. This doesn't sound like a big deal but when a large flight gets in to a smaller airport, it can be a race to the cabs and the queues can get big if you are to the start of the line. A back pack is also good when you going over unpaved roads/trails. I've many tourist struggle on cobblestone with their rolling luggage.

Osprey Farpoint 40L backpack about $120. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wiggle-o ... 0-2306614/

I've rave about this backpack on RFD before . "Has comfortable hip straps which are very important when carrying loads for extended periods of time. Side loading zipper makes finding things easy. Dimensions fit all major airline carry on size restrictions which was also extremely important to me at the time (12 flights on that trip)."

This backpack also has top and side handles. Again, doesnt sound like much but you are thankful when you have to pull the pack out from awkward positions. There is always a flap to tuck the shoulder straps away when you putting the pack through X ray machines or other times in which the straps could potentially get snagged on things.

Combine this will some travel cubes and you are golden. I did six weeks in Asia with just that pack. This is a super high quality back pack that will last a long long time. I've taken it on a dozen trips with max carry on weight (around 20 pounds) since I bought it when it first came out five years ago and it is still in exceptional condition. I've loaned this pack to two people for their Asian vacations. No rips, no tears, no broken zippers.

The downsize is the weight but he is a young kid, he should be fine :D
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
Jaytee wrote: If he is doing the type of trips where you hit up a lot of different locations, then I highly recommend a carry on sized back pack. You don't have to worry about lost luggage (which has happened to multiple friends of mine and causes a ton of stress). Also you don't waste as much time luggage pick up at airports. This doesn't sound like a big deal but when a large flight gets in to a smaller airport, it can be a race to the cabs and the queues can get big if you are to the start of the line. A back pack is also good when you going over unpaved roads/trails. I've many tourist struggle on cobblestone with their rolling luggage.

Osprey Farpoint 40L backpack about $120. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wiggle-o ... 0-2306614/

I've rave about this backpack on RFD before . "Has comfortable hip straps which are very important when carrying loads for extended periods of time. Side loading zipper makes finding things easy. Dimensions fit all major airline carry on size restrictions which was also extremely important to me at the time (12 flights on that trip)."

This backpack also has top and side handles. Again, doesnt sound like much but you are thankful when you have to pull the pack out from awkward positions. There is always a flap to tuck the shoulder straps away when you putting the pack through X ray machines or other times in which the straps could potentially get snagged on things.

Combine this will some travel cubes and you are golden. I did six weeks in Asia with just that pack. This is a super high quality back pack that will last a long long time. I've taken it on a dozen trips with max carry on weight (around 20 pounds) since I bought it when it first came out five years ago and it is still in exceptional condition. I've loaned this pack to two people for their Asian vacations. No rips, no tears, no broken zippers.

The downsize is the weight but he is a young kid, he should be fine :D
yes after doing a ton of research we have decided upon a wheeled carry on back pack...40 litres ish ...Osprey or Eagle Creek....may even go with a convertible model which has a detachable day pack that can count as personal item...
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12122 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Fjr2005 wrote: yes after doing a ton of research we have decided upon a wheeled carry on back pack...40 litres ish ...Osprey or Eagle Creek....may even go with a convertible model which has a detachable day pack that can count as personal item...
Forget the wheels. They take up too much room and weight. Your son's a backpacker. Just get him a good carry-on backpack. It's kind of stunning that he's done three Contiki tours though. Most people do just one to get the lay of the land and then travel independently for much cheaper and with much more freedom.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7304 posts
2198 upvotes
T dot 6
Talamasca wrote: It's kind of stunning that he's done three Contiki tours though. Most people do just one to get the lay of the land.
I think part of Contiki's appeal is meeting new people from around the world that do the tour with you and having to do zero planning. Not having to deal with logistics of scheduling, language, booking, etc is highly appealing to many people.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1424 posts
637 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Forget the wheels. They take up too much room and weight. Your son's a backpacker. Just get him a good carry-on backpack.
this. wheely backpacks are the worst of both worlds. you're losing room in the pack because of the wheel contraption.

must be nice to have gone on 3 contikis by 24. I wish I had that sort of money when I was that age to do that lol, but the bank of mommy and daddy ain't open for business.
Kind of a silly question
yeah, it is. OP, have you tried maybe, I dunno... asking your son? after all, he was the one that gone on 3 tours, so he should know what his own needs are better than the internet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7304 posts
2198 upvotes
T dot 6
Clement wrote: OP, have you tried maybe, I dunno... asking your son?
It's a Christmas gift, that would ruin the surprise. I would just get him a back pack with a gift receipt (you would have to buy it within a few weeks of Christmas) so he can return it for something else if he doesn't want or like it.

I still vote Farpoint 40. Even if he doesnt want it for Contiki trips, its a great pack in general for over night trips, cottage, general travel.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12122 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Jaytee wrote: I think part of Contiki's appeal is meeting new people from around the world that do the tour with you and having to do zero planning. Not having to deal with logistics of scheduling, language, booking, etc is highly appealing to many people.
Yeah, you do it once, realize that it's ridiculously easy and cheaper to travel around the major backpacking regions on your own and then you do so accordingly.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5926 posts
2781 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote: It's a Christmas gift, that would ruin the surprise. I would just get him a back pack with a gift receipt (you would have to buy it within a few weeks of Christmas) so he can return it for something else if he doesn't want or like it.
I don't mean like "hey, I'm going to get you a bag for Christmas, what do you want?" - but it's easy to have a conversation about someone's vacation and show interest and if he says there was a lot of moving from place to place, say "wow, lucky your (crappy old bag) held up, I bet XYZ would have been better, were other people using that?" or something like that.