• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2022 8:11 am
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus Owners Thread

Always considered one of the best UHP all season tires in the market with a loyal following so thought I'd start an owners thread.

Previous tires: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+.

Other tires considered: Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 .

Reason for choosing DWS06 Plus: got a much better price on them than PS4 also wet weather performance was most important for me.

Initial Impressions: I run all seasons for 6 months and dedicated summer tires for 6 months. Steering response and turn in is good for an UHP all season tire but definitely a step behind UHP summer tires but this is expected. Wet performance is as advertised feels very sure footed in the rain. Dry performance will have to report back. Ride and road noise is average not the quietest or loadest and not soft or hard you do get a pretty good feel of the road but definitely rides much better than my previous AS3+ which rode hard and loud.

Miscellaneous: Tires are 225/45/ZR17 on 17x8 wheels. Fitment pretty much fits to size not wide or narrow.

ImageImage
15 replies
Feb 6, 2018
122 posts
36 upvotes
Nice. I have them on my car also because I got a good deal from 4wheelonline. These DWS06 Plus are a bit louder than the Michelins but the dry and wet grip are excellent. I had the original DWS06 and I can say that this new version has stronger sidewalls.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Quick update on the DWS06 Plus after having them on the car for a month. It's been raining here in Vancouver for most of that time so lots of seat time in the rain with temperatures ranging from 12C-5C.

These tires are exceptional in the rain and on freshly wet roads they feel planted and provide good traction on all wet weather road conditions and inspire driver confidence. I'd go as far as to say these are the best wet weather tires I've owned and I'm super picky about my tires. At highway speeds they feel good for AS pretty smooth no vibrations feedback is not bad for an all season. Ride is slightly on the firmer side but not harsh and road noise is average but this is what you get with a UHP tire so no complaints there. Anybody looking for a UHP AS tire that delivers in the rain this tire should be on the top of your list.

One of the things I miss most going from summer tires to all seasons is the quicker steering response, sharper turn in and better road feel but can't have everything when it comes to tires.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
A final winter update on the DWS06 Plus. I took it out for a short drive last month on a day where the temps were around freezing with some icey conditions and a dusting of snow on the ground to give the tires a "try".

First stop and go on an incline the tires spun and slid a bit, had to fight a little to grip and go. Driving on slippery roads tires felt okay but far from instilling any confidence. Not surprising in any way as this is what you'd expect from any all season. I have a set of Michelin X Ice Snows on my wife's car to fall back on so I don't have to worry about driving in the snow. Bottom line is this tire is exceptional on dry and wet for what it is but no matter what improvements they make on these all seasons there is no replacement for dedicated snow tires.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
I am considering these as my Summer tires.. I have dedicated snows for winter.. I'm in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
TLSRULZ wrote: I am considering these as my Summer tires.. I have dedicated snows for winter.. I'm in Toronto.
These would make a decent alternative to a summer tire benefit would be they won't be as sensitive to temperature drops as summer tires so you have a bigger window to play with before swapping to winters.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
kev604 wrote: These would make a decent alternative to a summer tire benefit would be they won't be as sensitive to temperature drops as summer tires so you have a bigger window to play with before swapping to winters.
Exactly.. compensates for my lazyness Grinning Face until there is actually snow on the ground.. lol
Feb 14, 2008
322 posts
155 upvotes
Scarborough
I've had these on my car for several years now. These are excellent tires and I use them for summers only as I have dedicated winter tires. I would definitely buy these again.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
YZFMax wrote: I've had these on my car for several years now. These are excellent tires and I use them for summers only as I have dedicated winter tires. I would definitely buy these again.
That will be the older DWS06 from 2015.

This DWS06 Plus launched early last year. The tread design has been tweaked and tire compound upgraded to extract even more performance.
Feb 14, 2008
322 posts
155 upvotes
Scarborough
bubuski wrote: That will be the older DWS06 from 2015.

This DWS06 Plus launched early last year. The tread design has been tweaked and tire compound upgraded to extract even more performance.
Oh good to know. The original series were already great to start off with, much better than the stock tires that came with the car (2016 Mustang GT).
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
YZFMax wrote: I've had these on my car for several years now. These are excellent tires and I use them for summers only as I have dedicated winter tires. I would definitely buy these again.
Yeah if you liked the DWS06 than you'll love the newer DWS06 Plus as it improved on the previous version in every way.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Had these installed today. Coming from the original DWS so we'll see (haha, 2014 manufacture date so was definitely time for a change...).
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Chingyul wrote: Had these installed today. Coming from the original DWS so we'll see (haha, 2014 manufacture date so was definitely time for a change...).
The biggest improvement over the previous version is going to be in wet weather performance and braking.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Swapped out the DWS06 Plus yesterday and stored them for the season in favor of some stickier summer rubber. One thing I noticed when taking them off is during the 7 months I had them on the car the tread were pretty clean of any small stones and pebbles. The tread design I'm sure played a part in that. When I take off my tires I always take a screw driver and dislodge small stones and such stuck between the grooves, hate having crap stuck in the grooves of my tires.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1127 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
I had the original DWS bought in 2012 and the 'S' is still visible on two of the tires with about 10yrs and 60K on them (got 2 cars and winter sets so my tires get timed out instead of worn out). It served me well, but they on the way out as the counpount feel like rock now after 10 years of degradation. CT have DWS06 Plus for 20% off and I was really tempted but will go with all-weather instead due of my usage pattern for this particular behecle (my winter set is also 7 yrs and due for replacement). These are good and continues to be my top choice for 3 season tires.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
I recently got a brand new set of these, 19in. Super solid ride, highly recommend these. Comfortable ride and superb handling.