• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2019 12:12 am
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver

Contract job at BC Hydro

I recently interviewed for job at BC hydro and they are ready to make me an offer. This is a contract position so that means I will have to give up my permanent full time position. The loaded salary is about 10% higher than my current position. I want to jump the boat however, I am also hesitate that the position may be terminated after one year. Any suggestion here? Will experience work at hydro will be earlier to land more senior job down the road?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2859 posts
817 upvotes
GTA
BC hydro is a great employer, I think half their employees make above six figures or so. Anything hydro tends to be good even in places like Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

You didn't give enough information to get a great answer though as it depends on your situation. I wouldn't leave my current job for a contract on the terms you described but I have done it before because the factors were a little different.

BC Hydro
https://www.citynews1130.com/2013/09/26 ... -salaries/
https://theprovince.com/opinion/editori ... real-world
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1365 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
10% premium for contract is wayyyyyyyyyy too low lol.
Mar 6, 2015
341 posts
1093 upvotes
New Brunswick
Your profile could be wrong, but it shows you living in Saint John, NB. So you're talking about moving from one of the lowest cost of living places in Canada to one of the highest...for 10% and it's temporary. I can't speak to your particular situation, but it doesn't sound like a good deal.

And I doubt anyone cares about hydro on your resume. I work for NB Power, and while people are grateful we keep the lights on, they also tend to think we're lazy and overpaid.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
I used to live in NB, I already moved to BC and living here for 2 years
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
122 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
badmus wrote: BC hydro is a great employer, I think half their employees make above six figures or so. Anything hydro tends to be good even in places like Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

You didn't give enough information to get a great answer though as it depends on your situation. I wouldn't leave my current job for a contract on the terms you described but I have done it before because the factors were a little different.

BC Hydro
https://www.citynews1130.com/2013/09/26 ... -salaries/
https://theprovince.com/opinion/editori ... real-world
Thanks for the rely. Here ‘s a little bit more details:

This is a finance related position and the main reason for me to look Is I feel there isn’t much potential with my current employer. Here are some pros and cons:

Pro for change:
1. Higher pay 10% above my current base salary
2. Closer to home
3. More vacation days
4. More senior title
5. Better benefits& pension if I am eligible for it

Con for change:
1. I will give up bonus pay from current employer and it’s good money.
2. Contract position means no job secure
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1283 posts
1122 upvotes
flyguy1104 wrote: Thanks for the rely. Here ‘s a little bit more details:

This is a finance related position and the main reason for me to look Is I feel there isn’t much potential with my current employer. Here are some pros and cons:

Pro for change:
2. Closer to home
3. More vacation days
4. More senior title

Con for change:
Not worth the risk since it’s a contract and only 10% raise... after taxes it would be only 5-6% raise. You are better off waiting and looking for something permenant.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2859 posts
817 upvotes
GTA
flyguy1104 wrote: Thanks for the rely. Here ‘s a little bit more details:

Pro for change:
2. Closer to home
3. More vacation days
4. More senior title

Con for change:
Its up to you, a few people would consider a job with BC Hydro a lottery win (people say it on this forum all the time about Hydro One and OPG). When I did it, if I was able to become permanent (which happened after 7 months) then the new company was way way better than my old company but I am/was in my 20's so it my be different if I was older.
Jun 14, 2018
655 posts
659 upvotes
I wouldn't do it, but it feels like you want to take it.

Did you ask them about the prospects of being extended at the end of the contract?