[OP]
Sep 29, 2012
765 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

Contractor charging me for extra day due to Home Depot faulty product

Hello
If someone can help me out
I hire contractor for 2 days of work for my fence.
His charging me $450 a day
1st day we removed fence and put the post.
Today pre made fence came from Home Depot it was delivered. Upon delivery fence were damaged and now contractor is charging me for extra day of work if I want to get it done.

What can I do ?
Would Home Depot help me with any type of charges ? Contractor can do something but he has pending job that needs to be done.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
It looks like the contractor is only supplying the labor and you sourcing the materials. So if you bought the wrong material, or is defective, was not delivered on time, or was out of stock you are out of luck. If the contractor was supplying both labor and material anything that happens to the materials is his problem. Too bad you are going to suck this one up.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12915 posts
4521 upvotes
Ontario
Not his fault, he is charging you because he still had to come to your house and be on site he could of been somewhere else working but instead he was at your place. Home depot likely wont help you. Next time try to have all materials on site and ready to go so you dont run into issues.
sndeal wrote: Hello
If someone can help me out
I hire contractor for 2 days of work for my fence.
His charging me $450 a day
1st day we removed fence and put the post.
Today pre made fence came from Home Depot it was delivered. Upon delivery fence were damaged and now contractor is charging me for extra day of work if I want to get it done.

What can I do ?
Would Home Depot help me with any type of charges ? Contractor can do something but he has pending job that needs to be done.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
872 upvotes
London, On
Contractor is totally right here, assuming you hired him for labour only. If you hired him to build you a fence, and he chose to order from Home Depot and there was an error, then it's on him. Not much chance Home Depot is going to do anything about labour you hired.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3310 posts
1893 upvotes
Mississauga
Who ordered the fence from Home Depot? You or the contractor?

If the contractor ordered it then he should eat the cost, If you ordered it then you gotta pay for the extra day of work.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8799 upvotes
In a perfect world you should have had the materials delivered before the contractor started so you could inspect them, and then do any sort of return that you needed to. Otherwise if you asked a contractor to book a day out of their schedule for you and that day comes, material arrives, and you change your mind (the material is damaged) you should pay them for their time.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2012
765 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
I totally understand it’s not his fault. I get it it’s the time for them to make money
I will be eating the cost as there is no other resolution.
Lesson learned material first and lab out after.

I was just hoping if Home Depot good something from their part by doing something .. obviously they can replace the fence which is what they will do.

Is it a fair price $459 a day for the labour ?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2297 posts
495 upvotes
sndeal wrote: I totally understand it’s not his fault. I get it it’s the time for them to make money

I was just hoping if Home Depot good something from their part by doing something .. obviously they can replace the fence which is what they will do.

If that's his price, fair or not is irrelevant. Some bloke off kijiji could charge you $150 a day or a skilled tradesman for many times more. If you had already found that price acceptable, why question it now?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
sndeal wrote: Is it a fair price $459 a day for the labour ?
No. Its way too cheap.
sndeal wrote: I was just hoping if Home Depot good something from their part by doing something .. obviously they can replace the fence which is what they will do.
Home Depot, like the contractor, would have done something if you hired them to build the fence. They arent going to eat anything here. What if it didnt show at all?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
sndeal wrote: I totally understand it’s not his fault. I get it it’s the time for them to make money

Do it yourself would have been just your time and how much you value it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
cristianosham wrote: Do it yourself would have been just your time and how much you value it.
Not everyone has the skillset nor the tools to build a fence.
Apr 25, 2018
183 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
you supplied a defected product for the contractor... why would he eat the cost?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Not everyone has the skillset nor the tools to build a fence.
OP was asking if 459 a day was fair price? So now its gonna cost 3 x 459 compared to his time, experience and tools. To gauge if it was worth it or not?
Sep 28, 2012
220 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
Contractor always claims they are 100% capacity, which is not true. Do it by yourself if you can, otherwise get a fix price regardless.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
kwu0914 wrote: Contractor always claims they are 100% capacity, which is not true. Do it by yourself if you can, otherwise get a fix price regardless.
Anyone worth hiring is scheduled out at least a few weeks, otherwise they aren’t making money and won’t be doing it much longer.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
375 upvotes
Ottawa
Sign a contract and go by the terms...

Honestly this is the first time I heard people paying fence contractors per day vs the whole job... what would happen if it rained?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
oceans_end wrote: Sign a contract and go by the terms...

Honestly this is the first time I heard people paying fence contractors per day vs the whole job... what would happen if it rained?
Sounds like a Kijiji thing. Never heard of a fence contractor who works with the homeowner.
Oct 23, 2014
512 posts
394 upvotes
Laval, QC
If you don’t know what you are doing , hire a pro. All the DIY fences put up in my neighborhood all look like crap after a few years. Crooked , warped, leaning..etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7234 posts
2821 upvotes
GTA
oceans_end wrote: Sign a contract and go by the terms...

Contractor likely said I'll be here 2 days and cost is 900-client must have materials in place when we begin July 22.....when contractor had to remain a third day he has to charge for that, he can be on the next job earning.
Rain costs the deck/fence contractor....unless you hire him as a daily labourer.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4424 posts
2929 upvotes
Similar thing if you bought brake parts for your car and bring it to an indy to do. The indy removes all the rotors and brakes and when he installs the parts your bought. They are incorrect and the indy needs to put back your old parts and you come back when you get the right parts. Still you have to pay him for his time because you got the wrong parts.