[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1403 posts
922 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Contractor/designer recommended these brands I have not heard of

Help!

I'm in the process of working with our designer who's helping us pick up faucets, baths, showers, etc and she/they are recommending these brands I have never heard of.
The ones I'm familiar with are Moen, Pfister, Delta, American Standard, Grohe Hansgrohe... etc

but here are some I'm getting recommendations for our design:
Aquabrass, Riobel, (Disegno, Maier, Zuchetti, Sonia, Kerasan, Kos; these are from their supplier store Aquadesign in Vaughan)

They took us to their Quartz supplier New Age Stone and recommended Quorastone. I called them and the specific quartz slab we wanted was sourced from China and India so now we are paying a little bit extra for Cesarstone and Cambria.

Has anyone heard of these brands? Especially for faucets and plumbing fixtures?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21393 upvotes
GTA
What are the warranties on those suppliers? Moen's can be cheap china stuff too. The warranty tells you how long the maker will stand behind their product.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
Can this designer be trusted or a close friend? I know there are some designers / contractors get kickbacks (commission) from a vendor if the owner choose to go with the vendor. And when sh*t hits the fan, vendor blames contractor, contractor blames designer, designer blames vendor....

Ultimately, the owner (yourself) must do your own research to figure out what is good and what is not. You will have to think about if it fails, what impact it would have, what is the downtime looking/waiting for replacement parts, how hard is it to replace the parts, etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: What are the warranties on those suppliers? Moen's can be cheap china stuff too. The warranty tells you how long the maker will stand behind their product.
Warranty on installation? Or warranty on product? Warranty can be an extreme headache (to file the claim, waiting time, arranging to have someone to come in to replace the parts, etc).

For example, my general contractor is pretty good when it comes to warranty. Two of my tiles were loose and grout is cracked. He will have come into my house during business hours for a few hours (over a span of few days) removing the old grout, applying adhesive, allow +24hr curing, apply grout, allow a few days curing, apply grout sealant. All this headache. I ended doing it myself because it is less headache or lost time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1403 posts
922 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My contractor has an in house designer so we went with them. I’m just worried about all of these fixtures that I have never heard of and can’t find reviews on. Most of them have 1-2 year product warranty but there are so many exclusions. Our general contractor only offers 2 year installation warranty.

A lot of times I recommended brands that were discussed here and our designer shot them down with her own awful personal experiences.

This is all giving me a headache.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
Didi_beee wrote: My contractor has an in house designer so we went with them. I’m just worried about all of these fixtures that I have never heard of and can’t find reviews on. Most of them have 1-2 year product warranty but there are so many exclusions. Our general contractor only offers 2 year installation warranty.

A lot of times I recommended brands that were discussed here and our designer shot them down with her own awful personal experiences.

So your contractor hired this designer?
Ultimately, you are the owner, you have the power. If they don't install what you want, you can hire someone else. Why is this so hard?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11466 posts
6643 upvotes
Paris
Didi_beee wrote: My contractor has an in house designer so we went with them. I’m just worried about all of these fixtures that I have never heard of and can’t find reviews on. Most of them have 1-2 year product warranty but there are so many exclusions. Our general contractor only offers 2 year installation warranty.

1-2 years is pretty short on faucets.
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I used only Riobel products for my bathroom remodel. Shower heads and controls, tub spout and controls, sink faucets.

I believe all are designed/made in Canada. Quality feels good and no issues in the past 5 months or so.
Jul 31, 2017
392 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
The thing about working with a designer is that they are supposed to deal with all the headaches of design. If you're going to use one, pick one that you trust and let them do their job, or don't use one at all. There's no value add in you second guessing everything they do or choose. If you're running around finding stuff you like, what are they being paid for? I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about what they choose because it is your house. I'm saying you should trust what they choose would be what YOU would choose or at least what you never thought you'd choose until you see it and fall in love with it.

By the way, the last few faucets and showers we have installed have been Riobel and they've been fine. If you're close to TUBS by Yorkdale, they have masses of different brands for you to touch and feel
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17609 posts
8272 upvotes
Both Aquabrass and Riobel are brands pushed by our big plumbing supply stores here - I suspect they are both widely used.

Personally I think there is no comparison between Riobel and say, Hansgrohe. But you can also get a complete set of Riobel for the price of one Hansgrohe faucet (at least when we looked). We had it narrowed down to Riobel and Hansgrohe - strictly on looks - but the two didn't compare when you looked close. And again, to be fair, on price they are not close either.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2215 posts
715 upvotes
Montreal
We've bought many Riobel products over the years and have been really satisfied.
They are based in the Montreal region and some of their products are made in Canada.

I had a problem with my flexible handheld shower piping. It was past warranty, but a simple phone call and they sent a new one without arguing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)