Home & Garden

Contractor recommendations for prepping 110 year old concrete slab for Vinyl Plank

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2020 7:15 am
[OP]
Dec 12, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote

Contractor recommendations for prepping 110 year old concrete slab for Vinyl Plank

Hi, I'm located in the West End of Toronto and was looking for a quality company or contractor to level my basement in preparation for glue down vinyl planks.

I've had bad luck with contractor review sites, so I'm wondering if you could share a can share the contractor information and rough order of magnitude on price point? My space is about 500 square feet.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8923 posts
4553 upvotes
Paris
My recommendation is to not do vinyl plank over concrete.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1115 posts
1088 upvotes
West GTA
Have you thought about DIY? If you're handy, pouring self-leveling concrete isn't that hard to do and would leave you with a flat, uniform surface to lay vinyl planks over. you literally just buy a bag, mix it with water (often DIY is helped by adding just a bit more water than instructed), pouring it on the floor, spreading it around with a gauge rake until it's about 1/2-1 inch thick, then waiting as it self-levels. It's honestly easier than you'd think as long as you buy decent stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4626 posts
1060 upvotes
Jerico wrote: My recommendation is to not do vinyl plank over concrete.
Why not? I installed it directly on my slab. Albeit, it's the "insulated" stuff, but it has been totally fine.
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13937 posts
8357 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote: Why not? I installed it directly on my slab. Albeit, it's the "insulated" stuff, but it has been totally fine.
Cause op is gluing them down. There is no way I would glue directly to the slab, it would require a subfloor. So, I guess the question is and to the OP, are we gluing this floor directly on top of the slab or are you having it levelled for a subfloor which you can do as you build it. I'm not talking about 4mm and above thickness with insulation either when I say subfloor.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 19, 2014
436 posts
220 upvotes
Markham, ON
Jerico wrote: My recommendation is to not do vinyl plank over concrete.
Why not? seems like the cheapest and most effective option?

Tho I'd go with the click ones instead of the glue ones.

Levelling cement is definitely good/required if your level isn't flat.
Dec 9, 2013
469 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Cause op is gluing them down. There is no way I would glue directly to the slab, it would require a subfloor. So, I guess the question is and to the OP, are we gluing this floor directly on top of the slab or are you having it levelled for a subfloor which you can do as you build it. I'm not talking about 4mm and above thickness with insulation either when I say subfloor.
The old style square vinyl tiles from the 70s can also be glued down to the concrete slab.

OP, I also installed luxury vinyl plank directly onto my basement slab and it works fine (I didn't glue it though).
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1444 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
+1 to laying vinyl plank directly over slab. I did it in my basement, albeit I have a newer flat slab. I used Torlys Everwood
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2848 posts
1848 upvotes
Toronto
All of your newer basement floors have insulation etc. under the slabs I'd bet. I have a 110 year old slab in my basement too, and there's nothing of the sort under it.

If it's more or less flat and level, I'd put a dricore layer down and then the plank flooring. You'll get a nice surface for the flooring and insulation to boot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8923 posts
4553 upvotes
Paris
Every basement I’ve ever seen with anything but carpet WITH NO SUBFLOOR is a cold, noisy mess. Subfloor changes it all.
Dec 26, 2017
180 posts
105 upvotes
torontotim wrote: All of your newer basement floors have insulation etc. under the slabs I'd bet. I have a 110 year old slab in my basement too, and there's nothing of the sort under it.

If it's more or less flat and level, I'd put a dricore layer down and then the plank flooring. You'll get a nice surface for the flooring and insulation to boot.
I agree. Like others here I have luxury vinyl plank directly over slab but my slab is insulated from underneath and has radiant heat so it seems like any other floor. On a 110 year old slab with none of that it will feel very cold. Level it if necessary, put the dricore and vinyl plank, you won’t regret it!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4626 posts
1060 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Every basement I’ve ever seen with anything but carpet WITH NO SUBFLOOR is a cold, noisy mess. Subfloor changes it all.
Wasn't willing to take the hit on ceiling height. Didn't want to worry about spilling water (I have a 2-year-old) have having it soak my subfloor.

Plus a rug takes care of the cold issue.
Let's hug it out