Cell Phones

Controversial $4 smartphone to start shipping next week

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2016 6:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2014
733 posts
164 upvotes
London

Controversial $4 smartphone to start shipping next week

The company announced it will begin shipping the Freedom 251 on June 30. It claims has north of 200,000 units ready and waiting.

Anyway, if you have doubts whether the Freedom 251 exists, maybe these live pictures will help. The 4" $4 phone with a 4-core processor was caught in the wild and is indeed real. The rest of its specs include 8GB expandable storage, 1GB of RAM, a 3.2MP main camera with LED flash, a VGA front snapper, a 1,450 mAh batter and Android Lollipop.

Freedom 251 Maker Says 2 Lakh Rs. 251 Phones Ready, Will Launch 'Cheapest' HD LED TV.

Image

Image


http://www.gsmarena.com/freedom_251_is_ ... -19025.php

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/fr ... -tv-853073
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1143 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I wonder why they called it 251. I mean out of all possible names, they chose 251 lol. Not even 250
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Varian wrote: I wonder why they called it 251. I mean out of all possible names, they chose 251 lol. Not even 250
It's the price in INR.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1143 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto, ON
elwebmaster wrote: It's the price in INR.
They couldn't price it 250 Indian rupees, heh?
I mean 1 rupee is literally is not worth the paper it's printed on.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2014
733 posts
164 upvotes
London
Varian wrote: They couldn't price it 250 Indian rupees, heh?
I mean 1 rupee is literally is not worth the paper it's printed on.
My Indian friend told me once while chatting online:"Why you Canadians are going to show price tags with one cent down?Does it worth?" :D

Then he added:"We put the price tag a little up,so everybody knows they should bargain.For instance,we say 257 and by hot talks,we give that few rupees discount to adjust the price at 250.The customer will not be more happier! They think by few rupees down,the won the bargain" :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33740 posts
7374 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It is in their culture. They need to negotiate for everything. You tell them it cost a dollar, they'll offer 0.99 cents

Just ask Russell Peters
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28941 posts
9460 upvotes
Gee wrote: How can you sell a phone for $4

The parts required to build a phone cost more than $4
Yeah seems strange? Probably made with all the reject parts that didn't pass QC for phones made 3-4 years ago, lol. Also 1450mAh battery is probably brought to you by the cheapest factory in China meaning "1450" is probably more like 990mAh actual. Good luck getting that to last more than a few hours on a charge :lol:

"Government related bloatware"--maybe some kind of spying software? lol

Also the "it's not a scam" to "it's a scam" and now back to "it's not a scam" business seems like it probably is a scam!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35135 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
why does this thing even exists? people have no problem buying expensive phones
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1143 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote: why does this thing even exists? people have no problem buying expensive phones
my friend, you really need to travel outside of Richmond Hill =)
people in India and Bangladesh (the poor parts) literally are starving. $4 is a lot to them
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2014
733 posts
164 upvotes
London
Gee wrote: How can you sell a phone for $4
I believe this comes from Apple's Q&A,not you! :D They will die for it to know how they can produce an apple phone with that much expense and sell it as a fortune! :D
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
I think it's heavily subsidized by advertisers and the Indian government. The true cost of the phone is probably around $30, may be slightly less. You can often find phones in Walmart/BestBuy USA for similar price (<$30) with distribution costs there much higher than in India. If AT&T/Spring/Verizon can offer such subsidies on prepaid from their marketing budget then the India government surely can do the same.

The ultimate goal both in the western world and in the East is to cover as much of the demand curve as possible. Here they do it by spending on "promotions" and retention deals, there they do it with bargaining. At the end of the day products cost as much as you are willing to pay for them.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35135 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
Varian wrote: my friend, you really need to travel outside of Richmond Hill =)
people in India and Bangladesh (the poor parts) literally are starving. $4 is a lot to them
india is quite a sorry excuse of a democratic country, letting a commie neighbor get richer than them.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
divx wrote: india is quite a sorry excuse of a democratic country, letting a commie neighbor get richer than them.
Has their commie neighbor been exploited by colonialists for over 500 years? I would say India is doing quite well given what they've gone through and the population size they are dealing with. And in the commie neighbor everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others, it's those few that are richer, not the common folk.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
137 upvotes
I'd say cheap labour is how they're doing it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35135 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
elwebmaster wrote: Has their commie neighbor been exploited by colonialists for over 500 years? I would say India is doing quite well given what they've gone through and the population size they are dealing with. And in the commie neighbor everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others, it's those few that are richer, not the common folk.
if i was the leader of a democratic country, i'd be embarrassed at how a commie dictatorship manage to provide higher standard of living, so let's not give them any excuses.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33740 posts
7374 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
elwebmaster wrote: I think it's heavily subsidized by advertisers and the Indian government. The true cost of the phone is probably around $30, may be slightly less. You can often find phones in Walmart/BestBuy USA for similar price (<$30) with distribution costs there much higher than in India. If AT&T/Spring/Verizon can offer such subsidies on prepaid from their marketing budget then the India government surely can do the same.
Walmart and Best Buy are obviously selling the phone below cost to get rid of the inventory. I'm sure they average out their cost over a two year period so the few phone they sell below cost still nets a positive profit overall. Better to sell at a loss today than get nothing tomorrow

But the cost of a phone is negligible compared to the cost for service

If you paid $500 for a phone and the life of the phone is 3 years. Your cost per year is $166.67. You pay way more than that for service

If these phones cost $4, what's the cost of the service?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Gee wrote: Walmart and Best Buy are obviously selling the phone below cost to get rid of the inventory. I'm sure they average out their cost over a two year period so the few phone they sell below cost still nets a positive profit overall. Better to sell at a loss today than get nothing tomorrow

But the cost of a phone is negligible compared to the cost for service

If you paid $500 for a phone and the life of the phone is 3 years. Your cost per year is $166.67. You pay way more than that for service

If these phones cost $4, what's the cost of the service?
The cost for the service is $0 with Freedompop in the USA. I don't know about India.

Top