Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Converbit

Mikrotik RB5009UG+S+in Router with 2.5G Ethernet and a 10G SFP+ cage $234 with $11 shipping (free if pick up)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2022 2:35 pm
May 18, 2021
74 posts
66 upvotes
lurker99 wrote: Got all excited, but notice only 1x 2.5Gbe port and the rest 1Gbe.

I'm looking for a 2.5Gbe switch with SFP+,might have to get Qnap QSW-2104-2S instead.

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-2104-2s

Does anybody know of cheap 2.5Gbe/10Gbe with SFP+ (managed or unmanged)
The qnap you linked looks like a switch, not a router like the mikrotik in the OP. Or did I miss something?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
DMPimm wrote: Gone down the rabbit hole...
Not sure if I should go with this or a made up pfsense box. Have 1000/20 fiber from my local telco. Had good luck with my first unifi nano HD AP but since then I have had bad units with a 6lite and a mini flex switch. Not going with them for a router, no trust left.

Mikrotik wireless AP's seem lacking though? I'm already running a retired 24 pow Cisco switch, which has been sold as a rock since I got it. It has 4 sfp ports which would be good to use to free up some regular ethernet ports. Go figure, I buy larger than I need and it is starting to fill up
I'm waiting for the router to arrive, so I can't speak directly to Mikrotik APs. However, in reading up on Mikrotik, I did come across a number of users who attest to solid setups with a Mikrotik router and Ubiquiti APs.
codier wrote: Recently got ubi wifi6 lite. Can this work together with ubi product?
It's my understanding that they will coexist very well in a network, based on what I've read. You will need to configure them separately, but that should not be an issue. I'll be migrating from an Edgerouter Lite to the Mikrotik while keeping my Ubiquiti AP AC Pro access points. The Edgerouter doesn't use the access point Unifi controller but the separate configuration was never an issue.
Apr 22, 2008
50 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
codier wrote: Recently got ubi wifi6 lite. Can this work together with ubi product?
I don't own this particular Mikrotik model, however I've done the setup for office in pairing with Mikrotik and Ubiquity APs, and they worked great. I have also run other vendor APs with Mikrotik before and there was no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
bfoot wrote: I went with omada, not necessary it is better but it was available at the time at half the price of ubiquiti. I sold all my ubiquiti gears and replaced it with mikrotik router + omada wireless access points. Whatever you do, do not buy mikrotik wireless gear. That's the consensus I got from mikrotik user forum.
How do you like the omada stuff so far?
Aug 30, 2001
425 posts
191 upvotes
Thanks OP, had my eyes on this unit for a while, but converbit didn't have lots of mikrotiks devices before. For those that own Mikrotiks routers, how's the setup interface (e.g rules, vlan) vs Ubnt or other manufacturers? (winbox/mikrotik looks tedious vs ubnt/pfsense)
Apr 22, 2008
50 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
furballz wrote: Thanks OP, had my eyes on this unit for a while, but converbit didn't have lots of mikrotiks devices before. For those that own Mikrotiks routers, how's the setup interface (e.g rules, vlan) vs Ubnt or other manufacturers? (winbox/mikrotik looks tedious vs ubnt/pfsense)
The setup interface would take some time to get used to. It certainly does not look as clean or elegant as Ubnt or Pfsense. The firewall rules work in from top to down order, and they are quite straightforward when one becomes familiar with them. The routing and mangle rules could be little confusing and leaving them at default would likely suit for many cases. Vlan configuration might seem daunting at first but they are very flexible. I especially like how Mikrotik could bridge port interfaces with Vlan with ease in GUI after getting past the initial learning curve. Be prepared to spend time with learning the settings and features come with Mikrotik router and how to configure them properly.

Here is a couple resources that are very useful when it comes to figuring out network setup.

Mikrotik Wiki page - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC
Mikrotik user forum - https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewforum.php?f=11
Last edited by hirush on Dec 30th, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1477 posts
479 upvotes
Nice gear indeed, Mikrotik has quite the learning curve though.

Depending on your use case, going PFSense/OPNSense is also to consider if you have the hardware for it.
-
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
Why is this a good deal ? It's only a single 2.5GBe port. You can get better stuff (obviously used/refurbed) provide more/faster ports for less
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
hirush wrote: The setup interface would take some time to get used to. It certainly does not look as clean or elegant as Ubnt or Pfsense...
I'm presuming that you mean the Unifi controller... hopefully (for my sake) working with the Edgerouter's interface and CLI will help with the transition to Mikrotik...

Thanks very much for the links!
Feb 2, 2015
824 posts
442 upvotes
lurker99 wrote: Got all excited, but notice only 1x 2.5Gbe port and the rest 1Gbe.

I'm looking for a 2.5Gbe switch with SFP+,might have to get Qnap QSW-2104-2S instead.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08F9ZL9LY/

And it is quite stable, there are different light colors to show if the connected device is using Gigabit or 2.5G
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver

Sorry if I've misunderstood your post, but you mentioned "I'm looking for a 2.5Gbe switch with SFP+,might have to get Qnap QSW-2104-2S instead". This is a router, not a switch, so if you're only looking for a switch this deal won't help anyways.
Jun 7, 2017
680 posts
2770 upvotes
ON
Tcalp wrote: Why is this a good deal ? It's only a single 2.5GBe port. You can get better stuff (obviously used/refurbed) provide more/faster ports for less
It’s a router with Router OS not a switch.
Feb 2, 2015
824 posts
442 upvotes
Just curious, do ppl without wired backhauls using this at home? If so how the set up works (for a house)?

I bought the QNAP switch since it is way cheaper and even though I have 1.5G Bell with HH4000, my routers (Eero 5 pro) only have Gigabit port so it is not like a router would do a lot better than a switch (i think! may be i miss something?)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
MichaelSun wrote: It’s a router with Router OS not a switch.
Yes, and on higher end switches, plenty have 'router' software deployment alternatives. Just as MicroTik has their RouterOS / SwitchOS that works across a number of their devices.
May 18, 2021
74 posts
66 upvotes
Tcalp wrote: Why is this a good deal ? It's only a single 2.5GBe port. You can get better stuff (obviously used/refurbed) provide more/faster ports for less
What would you suggest as an alternative? I don't mind used equipment. My Cisco switch is used EOL and works great for me.
Jun 7, 2017
680 posts
2770 upvotes
ON
Tcalp wrote: Yes, and on higher end switches, plenty have 'router' software deployment alternatives. Just as MicroTik has their RouterOS / SwitchOS that works across a number of their devices.
Wow, could you please give me some alternative suggestions? I would like to have one to work with HH4000, so I need to look for a used/refurbed 2.5G or 10G RJ45 switch also has 10G sfp+ right also can be used as a router?
I didn't think about that.
Aug 30, 2001
425 posts
191 upvotes
because it's a new unit, frequent updates, you also have a 10G SFP+ port and a solid OS. Hell, it's kind of overkill for most users.

After what happened with Qnap nas, i would NEVER trust Qnap with my firewall! and it has your required SFP+ ports. (between the power plug and USB port)
Btw, are you looking for a Switch or a router? If it's just a switch , then look at the MikroTik - CRS305-1G-4S+in (4SFP+) or MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+IN (8gbe + 2 SFP+)
Nov 23, 2017
811 posts
549 upvotes
MichaelSun wrote: Wow, could you please give me some alternative suggestions? I would like to have one to work with HH4000, so I need to look for a used/refurbed 2.5G or 10G RJ45 switch also has 10G sfp+ right also can be used as a router?
I didn't think about that.
...so did you update your udm pro to the latest version and you still get less speeds?
Jun 7, 2017
680 posts
2770 upvotes
ON
Ph7nam wrote: ...so did you update your udm pro to the latest version and you still get less speeds?
Unfortunately, no.
I removed the UDM Pro until the 1.11 was out.
I tested with the latest firmware 1.11.

1.11 only improved not solved the PPPoE problem, but the LAN to WAN throughout is another problem.