• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 11:46 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2017
497 posts
530 upvotes
Chelsea

Converting Aeroplan to other in light of potential devaluation

I was wondering if anybody had thought about transferring their Aeroplan miles to another reward program/cashing them for giftcards.

I’m sitting on about 600k Aeroplan miles right now, and am not really planning on travelling by the time they convert to Air Canada ..
3 replies
Oct 31, 2012
713 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
SimonL556 wrote: I was wondering if anybody had thought about transferring their Aeroplan miles to another reward program/cashing them for giftcards.

I’m sitting on about 600k Aeroplan miles right now, and am not really planning on travelling by the time they convert to Air Canada ..
You cant Transfer Aeroplan to anything that I know of. You can always book 1 year out just before the slated Q4 Aeroplan 2.0 change to lock in pre-deval pricing if that helps get rid of some miles (though potentially eat the cancellation fee if you choose not to travel. Gift cards aren't the best but it all depends on how much you normally travelled pre-COVID.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
What are you even talking about? Converting to Air Canada? The program will stay the same but some changes may be announced. Anyway, there will be time between when the changes are announced and when they are implemented.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1853 posts
2351 upvotes
You can transfer a limited number of Aeroplan via points.com to VERY few programs with a big hit - so if devaluation is the concern this won't fix it.

Any other transfer methods will violate the Aeroplan rules and could result in loss of all points.

Flight redemption will likely still be the best value going forward.