Converting a double sided gas fireplace into a single sided fireplace

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2020 9:58 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
253 posts
92 upvotes

Converting a double sided gas fireplace into a single sided fireplace

The house we purchased has a double sided fireplace between the family room and the master bedroom.
Is there any way I can swap out the double sided for a single sided fireplace while patching up the opening on the master bedroom side with drywall so it can become a normal wall?
5 replies
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
253 posts
92 upvotes
pootza wrote: Yes you can.
Whats the process? what are the downsides? Any idea on code in Manitoba? What sort of costs am I looking at?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16236 posts
13528 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
You can do it...
But my Question would be WHY

Getting a double sided fireplace and / or a fireplace in a MBedroom is a BIG Selling feature for a house.

And a feature that many folks wish they had ... a gas fireplace in the MBedroom ... let alone multiples in a home

EDIT / ADD - If it’s Privacy you are after, there are far cheaper solutions than ripping out the fireplace on the bedroom side ... regarding screens / doors (including solid options) that can be installed on one side, or both.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
253 posts
92 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: You can do it...
But my Question would be WHY

Getting a double sided fireplace and / or a fireplace in a MBedroom is a BIG Selling feature for a house.

And a feature that many folks wish they had ... a gas fireplace in the MBedroom ... let alone multiples in a home

EDIT / ADD - If it’s Privacy you are after, there are far cheaper solutions than ripping out the fireplace on the bedroom side ... regarding screens / doors (including solid options) that can be installed on one side, or both.
Yes, privacy is the big issue.
A screen would work, but I also we have little kids, so they are always running around, and we dont want that to be an obstruction for them. We generally dont use the fireplace that much, primarily when the kids are asleep.
I can see how it is a great selling feature and I agree, but with the lack of privacy, it just doesn't seem like the greatest option.

What kinds of solid door options are there? If I could attach anything to the fireplace mantle/surround itself, that could be suitable as it would not be sitting on the ground.
Sep 8, 2020
1 posts
We have a 3 bedroom house with a 2 room master. I would love to close off back and side of fireplace. In order to make it a legal 4th bedroom we want to install double doors to the other room and open up a wall with a regular entrance to the 2nd room. How can I close off one side of fireplace
image.jpg
and keep fireplace open to the master?
Images
  • image.jpg