Food & Drink

Conveyor Belt Sushi Date - vegetarian friendly?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2009 7:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 27, 2007
270 posts
31 upvotes
no mans land

Conveyor Belt Sushi Date - vegetarian friendly?

I think my date would love the atmosphere of these places, plus she claims to love sushi. However she's vegetarian, and I know most dishes contain some form of fish. Are there many (if any) vegetarian options on the belt? If not she can she order from the menu right?

Also any recommendations? Ideally something with a modern vibe. The cheaper the better.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27761 posts
12836 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe you should ask her where would she like to go instead ? It may be easier rather than guessing if this place is okay for her or not.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
booblehead wrote: Maybe you should ask her where would she like to go instead ? It may be easier rather than guessing if this place is okay for her or not.
But then how is he supposed to announce to RFD that he landed a date?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
meh_33333 wrote: I think my date would love the atmosphere of these places, plus she claims to love sushi. However she's vegetarian, and I know most dishes contain some form of fish. Are there many (if any) vegetarian options on the belt? If not she can she order from the menu right?

Also any recommendations? Ideally something with a modern vibe. The cheaper the better.
Well you can always have vegetable tempura and order cucumber, avocado rolls. There probably yam rolls too. I'd check out a menu to make sure what you're getting into.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
30 upvotes
meh_33333 wrote: Also any recommendations? Ideally something with a modern vibe. The cheaper the better.

Man, if I were a girl, I'd want to be your date! :cheesygri
Nov 9, 2007
339 posts
154 upvotes
Scarborough
Assuming u are talking about GTA

Vegetarian items on sushi belts are limited and few.

However, here are your SUSHI/MAKI options that you can get at most places.

Avocado
Cucumber
Hoshinko (pickled radish)
Shitake (stewed shitake mushrooms in sweet soysauce/mirin)
Inari (a fried/braised tofu wrapping)
Kampyo (sweet gourd strips)
Hiyashi Wakame (A green seaweed salad)
Salad Roll ( lettuce, tomato, carrots)

Some places will offer
Yam/Sweet Potato Tempura
Grilled Asparagus
Spinach
Edamame

(Mochizuki offers all of the above options; they also had a vegetarian combo which has 12pcs of maki, and 6 pcs of sushi)

And don't forget all the other amazing vegetarian options from the kitchen like soba, udon, tofu, tempura, vegetable dumplings, u've really got lots of choice.
Feb 25, 2007
128 posts
I have yet to see a Japanese restaurant with a conveyor belt. I first experienced it in HK and thought it was the coolest thing!
Where can I find one of these??

Btw OP, if it were me, just the experience would make it a great date night.
But as per Poepoies' list, there are TONS of vegetarian dishes (don't know about conveyor belts but I'm sure there's some sort of variety vs. ordering off the menu).
Nov 9, 2007
339 posts
154 upvotes
Scarborough
ak-47 wrote: classy conveyor belt sushi restaurant on elm and bay, I believe they are operated by japanese too

http://www.mochizuki.ca/
Operated by Chinese, but they employ a diverse staff from Japanese, Korean to also Chinese: basically all Asian *I trained/followed the 'boss' here when he opened*. However, they were the first conveyor belt sushi place in Toronto.

Consequently: Right beside Mochizuki is a really good Vegetarian restaurant ^^ I remember in the blackout of 2003? they shared soy icecream and a bunch of other perishables, pretty good. Called: Commensal?

The other is Sushi Train (google it), they are Korean operated, I've heard mixed reviews, never really went to try it.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
735 upvotes
Poepoies wrote: Operated by Chinese, but they employ a diverse staff from Japanese, Korean to also Chinese: basically all Asian *I trained/followed the 'boss' here when he opened*. However, they were the first conveyor belt sushi place in Toronto.

Consequently: Right beside Mochizuki is a really good Vegetarian restaurant ^^ I remember in the blackout of 2003? they shared soy icecream and a bunch of other perishables, pretty good. Called: Commensal?

The other is Sushi Train (google it), they are Korean operated, I've heard mixed reviews, never really went to try it.
But...Fune had the conveyor boats first.

I still find that other than the novelty, the conveyor belts are a lower calibre of Sushi...at least here in Canada. Depending on the pieces, they can sit for a considerable amount of time. I much prefer that they make the Sushi to order.

Even at Fune, during a proper meal service, they will put the sushi on the boat a few places in front of you after making it fresh.

Any Sushi restaurant will have a considerable amount for vegetarians...after all, Sushi itself is about the rice first...

Commensal is fine...though it is far from made fresh cuisine (though does that matter for many salads etc.