Tags:
None
[OP]
May 2, 2010
410 posts
284 upvotes
GTA

Cooking Classes?

I'm considering joining, anyone have any recommendations in the GTA?

Thanks!
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20338 posts
4298 upvotes
Poormond Hill
George Brown.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1787 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 21st, 2013 8:35 pm
George Brown.
+1 for GB
my wife has been taking them for years (baking, cake decorating, cooking, etc )
I only took a mixology course. she enrolled me as a Christmas gift
Banned
Jul 3, 2013
1508 posts
297 upvotes
My coworker took the George Brown class and raves about it. She brought in some dishes to work and I was very impressed.

I am actually going yo sign up myself as I need major help...
Oct 17, 2013
334 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Definitely George Brown. A few kids I went to high school with are taking courses there and I hear they're constantly bringing home delicious food.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3047 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
George Brown - They take things seriously, but you can't beat being able to take home a full meal after you're done.
[OP]
May 2, 2010
410 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
Sorry I wasn't sure if it should be food, fun, entertainment, so just went with off topic.

George Brown seems to be popular. Are these recreational classes or part of a diploma program? I was hoping for something I can just drop in once a week or every 2 weeks, don't need/want a diploma/degree. Just want to learn to cook :)
May 28, 2012
10317 posts
2458 upvotes
Saskatoon
Do you need a live person teaching you how to cook? There are all kinds of Youtube tutorials for cooking.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Just watch Pasquale's kitchen.
Ala da dee a da doo!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
731 upvotes
If you aren't strapped for cash:

http://dishcookingstudio.com/

Pick and choose based on desires and schedule ...not intense, but fun never the less.

10+ years ago when it started, they routinely had "celebrity" chefs teach classes...really enjoyed those.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20338 posts
4298 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Cartman86 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2013 9:56 pm
Sorry I wasn't sure if it should be food, fun, entertainment, so just went with off topic.

George Brown seems to be popular. Are these recreational classes or part of a diploma program? I was hoping for something I can just drop in once a week or every 2 weeks, don't need/want a diploma/degree. Just want to learn to cook :)
The courses run 2-3 months with one class a week. The courses are specific and only cover one cuisine. Italian = italian. Cantonese = cantonese. Thai = thai...etc. At the end you get a paper stating that you completed it. Also there are courses that cover the basics which you must take if you have never cooked and wish to take more difficult ones.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
May 2, 2010
410 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the suggestions!

GB sounds great but its expensive, and it says you have to do a prerequisite to do any of the good stuff
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20338 posts
4298 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Cartman86 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 6:24 pm
Thanks for the suggestions!

GB sounds great but its expensive, and it says you have to do a prerequisite to do any of the good stuff
Yes, you must. They want to make sure you know the basics. When I took Italian many years ago, there was this guy who was cleaning his knife and he accidently cut his palm. There was blood all over the sink.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6013 posts
139 upvotes
There's also rouxbe.com that from what I've seen looks very good. Made a couple of their free recipes and they were very, very good. There's recipes, but the purpose is to actually teach you HOW to cook. it's 300 upfront and 5 dollars a month starting in month 2.
Oct 17, 2013
334 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For 100% free you can check out cooking shows on TV. They normally post all their recipe info online. I like In the Kitchen with Stephano Faita on CBC, 3:30PM on weekdays.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke