• Oct 30th, 2013 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32362 posts
6757 upvotes
Ottawa
Superstores often have a kitchen and have cooking classes. My wife goes to the one near our place.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
[OP]
May 2, 2010
362 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
Thanks again for the suggestions!

I also would prefer a class with people my age (20-30). I would hate to be stuck with bunch of middle age women.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3870 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
ProfessorVon wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 11:21 pm
For 100% free you can check out cooking shows on TV. They normally post all their recipe info online. I like In the Kitchen with Stefano Faita on CBC, 3:30PM on weekdays.
Fixed.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3361 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2013 9:08 am
Superstores often have a kitchen and have cooking classes. My wife goes to the one near our place.
+1

My mother goes to these classes. Never been there myself so I can't comment on the quality of the classes though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7977 posts
1155 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 9:00 pm
Yes, you must. They want to make sure you know the basics. When I took Italian many years ago, there was this guy who was cleaning his knife and he accidently cut his palm. There was blood all over the sink.
Unfortunately this is one of the things I fear about a classroom atmosphere.

For the person like OP who wants to learn but not be a pro, things could get pretty uptight just keeping up in a competitive serious classroom setting.

If one is nervous it may lead to accidents and may not be the fun the person had in mind.

It took me a while to develop knife skills and I'm still not very good at it.

At home you can take your time and save your fingers.

I still have all mine. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3502 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Am in the same boat. Love to coke and bake and i am pretty good at it...

But would be great to have some formal lessons and learn more.

For those that took courses at GB, did you just pick and choose or did you do a program/certificate?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6003 posts
139 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Oct 24th, 2013 9:40 am
Am in the same boat. Love to coke and bake and i am pretty good at it...

But would be great to have some formal lessons and learn more.

For those that took courses at GB, did you just pick and choose or did you do a program/certificate?
Wow, you sound like a whole lot of fun... :D
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
71 upvotes
ProfessorVon wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2013 11:21 pm
For 100% free you can check out cooking shows on TV. They normally post all their recipe info online. I like In the Kitchen with Stephano Faita on CBC, 3:30PM on weekdays.
You see the problem with a lot of cooking shows today, is they present you with just a recipe, and don't show you the basics/fundamentals. Things like how to hold and use a knife properly, how to prepare stock, etc. It's one thing to have a amazing roast chicken recipe, it's another thing to know how to prepare a roast chicken quickly, efficiently and effectively.
cessnabmw wrote:
Oct 24th, 2013 9:40 am
You can do both! You can pick and choose whatever culinary courses you want, however you must do their Culinary Arts I course before doing anything else, which will teach you the basics/fundamentals about cooking, food safety, knife skills, etc.
http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/ce ... _numb=9088

Personally I would recommend people to register for their Knife Skills course as well:
http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/ce ... _numb=9124
^ after taking it, it'd be a good idea to buy some potatoes and other root vegetables and practice/hone your knife skills.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1430 posts
120 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Longos. They keep it casual and a lot of attendees go as a date night (some of the classes include wine pairings).