cookstore.ca - shopping experience

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2023 6:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes

cookstore.ca - shopping experience

I googled this website before I made my purchase, but I couldn't find anything much other than a few scattered reviews on BBB (which I figured people post there to complain anyway). so I decided to write about my own experience with buying from cookstore.ca

I purchased a debuyer pan from the cookstore.ca on the first days of the new year when their boxing week sale is still on. The receipt email came instantly after paying, and on the email it said a separate email with tracking link will be sent once shipped. Payment was charged right away.

Fast forward a week, still no ship confirmation email. I called the phone number on the webpage a few times. Every time, no one picks up and it gets to voicemail. Disappointed, I sent them a "ticket" on their website, a response came back an hour later with their response that due to the holiday demands, they have sold out my pan but they are expecting a shipment in next 2 to 3 days.

Fast forward another week, still no words. I sent them another ticket. This time, I waited a day and still no response. I proceeded to try the live chat on their page. The CSR in the live chat responded within 5 minutes, looked into my order #, and apologetically said they were out of stock and not be able to ship until end of the month (and there's nothing else they could really do at the moment). I emphasize - they were apologetic. (Then they closed the ticket an hour later saying it's been discussed in the live chat)

One thing I would like to point out as well, was that, cookstore.ca was never proactive to inform me of the delays. I probably would not have found out the latest status if I didn't track it down myself.

Now, the website still has the item I ordered up for sale. It does not say it's sold out. So it's left for one to wonder, perhaps they had been selling something they didn't have in stock all along. But I would like to give them the benefit of doubt... for now.

Since I still haven't receive my pan, I'll provide update as the event continues to unfold. I hope I will receive what I ordered (and not something that's completely different than what's described).

I have ordered from numerous small Canadian websites before, and never had much negative experience. I would like to continue to give the small players my business, but sometimes it's these one apple that spoils the bunch.
98 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
manho wrote: I googled this website before I made my purchase, but I couldn't find anything much other than a few scattered reviews on BBB (which I figured people post there to complain anyway). so I decided to write about my own experience with buying from cookstore.ca

I purchased a debuyer pan from the cookstore.ca on the first days of the new year when their boxing week sale is still on. The receipt email came instantly after paying, and on the email it said a separate email with tracking link will be sent once shipped. Payment was charged right away.

Fast forward a week, still no ship confirmation email. I called the phone number on the webpage a few times. Every time, no one picks up and it gets to voicemail. Disappointed, I sent them a "ticket" on their website, a response came back an hour later with their response that due to the holiday demands, they have sold out my pan but they are expecting a shipment in next 2 to 3 days.

Fast forward another week, still no words. I sent them another ticket. This time, I waited a day and still no response. I proceeded to try the live chat on their page. The CSR in the live chat responded within 5 minutes, looked into my order #, and apologetically said they were out of stock and not be able to ship until end of the month (and there's nothing else they could really do at the moment). I emphasize - they were apologetic. (Then they closed the ticket an hour later saying it's been discussed in the live chat)

One thing I would like to point out as well, was that, cookstore.ca was never proactive to inform me of the delays. I probably would not have found out the latest status if I didn't track it down myself.

Now, the website still has the item I ordered up for sale. It does not say it's sold out. So it's left for one to wonder, perhaps they had been selling something they didn't have in stock all along. But I would like to give them the benefit of doubt... for now.

Since I still haven't receive my pan, I'll provide update as the event continues to unfold. I hope I will receive what I ordered (and not something that's completely different than what's described).

I have ordered from numerous small Canadian websites before, and never had much negative experience. I would like to continue to give the small players my business, but sometimes it's these one apple that spoils the bunch.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't it illegal for them to charge you for something that's out of stock? Amazon will only charge you when the item ships, but as far as I know they're not allowed to take your money unless it's physically in stock. Might want to demand a refund on that basis.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't it illegal for them to charge you for something that's out of stock? Amazon will only charge you when the item ships, but as far as I know they're not allowed to take your money unless it's physically in stock. Might want to demand a refund on that basis.

I'll give them the benefit of doubt... For now. I paid with PayPal, so if things really go south, then I'll file a claim
Oct 11, 2016
44 posts
153 upvotes
manho wrote: I'll give them the benefit of doubt... For now. I paid with PayPal, so if things really go south, then I'll file a claim
Same happened to me. Merchandise was "in stock" but backordered. Go figure! They eventually delivered after a month or so.

Their prices were much lower than my local kitchen supply store so in the end, it was still worth the wait.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
manho wrote: I'll give them the benefit of doubt... For now. I paid with PayPal, so if things really go south, then I'll file a claim
This is interesting. I had not heard of this company, but I am in the market for an Iron frying pan, and I found it on their website. I got into an online chat with "Ryan" and asked if it was in stock. He checked and then said that it wasn't in stock but would be in 2-3 days (sound familiar??). I mentioned to him that the website says it is in stock, and then asked if they would be charging my CC when I placed the order or when the item shipped, and he said it would be charged when the order was placed, so to me this sounds like exactly the situation you're in, but it has obviously exceeded the 2-3 days they claimed it would take to get the item back in stock. I told him I'd wait until it was in stock to place the order, and the response was, ok, we'll be happy to help if you decide to order. It sounds to me like they routinely take orders (and payment) for items that they dont have and maybe even back-fill when they have enough orders to justify it. Please let me know if you do receive your item as I can get the same one on Amazon for around $20 more. I'd rather save my money but I'd like to hear that they actually do fulfill their orders before I give them my $$.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: This is interesting. I had not heard of this company, but I am in the market for an Iron frying pan, and I found it on their website. I got into an online chat with "Ryan" and asked if it was in stock. He checked and then said that it wasn't in stock but would be in 2-3 days (sound familiar??). I mentioned to him that the website says it is in stock, and then asked if they would be charging my CC when I placed the order or when the item shipped, and he said it would be charged when the order was placed, so to me this sounds like exactly the situation you're in, but it has obviously exceeded the 2-3 days they claimed it would take to get the item back in stock. I told him I'd wait until it was in stock to place the order, and the response was, ok, we'll be happy to help if you decide to order. It sounds to me like they routinely take orders (and payment) for items that they dont have and maybe even back-fill when they have enough orders to justify it. Please let me know if you do receive your item as I can get the same one on Amazon for around $20 more. I'd rather save my money but I'd like to hear that they actually do fulfill their orders before I give them my $$.
If we combine all three of our experience together (BBQKing, yours, and mine), it seems like they tend to sell items they don't have in stock, and it will take a while to receive it (after some persistent pestering, perhaps). But it sounds like you will eventually get it.

I will let you know once I have any updates
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like they use drop shipping.
That's why nothing is actually "in stock".
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote: It sounds like they use drop shipping.
Drop ship! Just googled it. Learning something new everyday.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote: It sounds like they use drop shipping.
With drop shipping it would be sent out directly from the wholesaler or manufacturer, there would be no need to tell customers it is "out of stock" as the agent told me today. Actually, if they were drop shipping, it would technically never be out of stock, unless the manufacturer was out as well.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Had another live chat with Ryan last Friday on cookstore.ca home page. Transcript attached.

As of today (Monday), still no sign of shipping tracking number.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
More people should take Amazon's approach to ecommerce.

-Don't charge until shipping
-Give better ETAs (I've had 2-5 months turn to 2-5 days), so under promise and over deliver.
-Updates via email
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
manho wrote: Had another live chat with Ryan last Friday on cookstore.ca home page. Transcript attached.

As of today (Monday), still no sign of shipping tracking number.
I also spoke to Ryan, and when I asked why I am still waiting on an order that shows all items as in stock, he just says "sorry, that's incorrect", and yet the status remains unchanged hours later. I did however get them to agree to ship the frying pan now and the rest of my order when it comes in. My only concern is that a month from now I'll still be waiting for my other items. I have to say I find this a very dishonest way to do business. I wonder how many times a day "Ryan" is apologizing for orders that are payed for and not shipped.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I also spoke to Ryan, and when I asked why I am still waiting on an order that shows all items as in stock, he just says "sorry, that's incorrect", and yet the status remains unchanged hours later. I did however get them to agree to ship the frying pan now and the rest of my order when it comes in. My only concern is that a month from now I'll still be waiting for my other items. I have to say I find this a very dishonest way to do business. I wonder how many times a day "Ryan" is apologizing for orders that are payed for and not shipped.
Yeah, I mentioned the same thing to him, and he basically responded the same way. And I completely agree with you that it's rather dishonest. Hence, my motivation for creating this thread. (I googled their site before placing my order but nothing in details came up.)

My pan is at one month mark now. The waiting game is strong.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
manho wrote: Yeah, I mentioned the same thing to him, and he basically responded the same way. And I completely agree with you that it's rather dishonest. Hence, my motivation for creating this thread. (I googled their site before placing my order but nothing in details came up.)

My pan is at one month mark now. The waiting game is strong.
Just out of curiousity, did you at any point ask for your money back? I'm just wondering if that lights some sort of fire with these people.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: Just out of curiousity, did you at any point ask for your money back? I'm just wondering if that lights some sort of fire with these people.
Sorry for the super late reply. I had an online chat with the website CSR again sometime near end of January, and they did apologize for the delay and offered a refund, on ground that they can't confirm when they will receive my product. But I decided to wait it out anyway, since I was in no hurry to receive my pan.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
So it was almost 3 months time since I placed my order, and I figured if my order was still in a limbo, I would cancel it and ask for a refund. And if all fails, request a dispute with PayPal (i purposely paid with PayPal cuz I didn't know how trustworthy the site was)

So I hit up online chat. Ryan the CSR said "good news. Your pan just went to shipping this morning." Now, is it really such a coincidence that I didn't follow up for 2 months, and it just happened to be on the day I decided to check, the order went to shipping on same day? One can only speculate. (Note: chat transcript time is in GMT, which 4 o'clock GMT means 12pm. And the shipping label stamp time is 2pm)

Any how, the pan really did arrive via Canpar just a day later (today). On the shipping label, there's another company name on it called Distributor's Choice. Haven't got a chance to look into what that's all about yet. But the pan is just as advertised. In full original wrapping and tags and little booklet. Looking sleek and flawless. So about the product, I have no complain.

So there you have it, it took me 3 months from ordering to receiving my pan. And if I didn't hunt it down with the online chat system, who knows if I would ever receive it. That said, however, some products do seem to be cheaper on cook store, and the product do come as advertised. It's just a matter of how long would it take to arrive.
Images
  • IMG_1360.JPG
  • IMG_1361.JPG
  • IMG_1362.JPG
  • IMG_1364.JPG
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
Thanks OP for this thread. Was about to order something. Dang - maybe shop.ca is their role model :facepalm: I'll buy elsewhere, Thanks again for letting us know.
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Sep 18, 2017
1 posts
Yes I had the same experience, the customer service representative was so rude and Interupted me while I was still explaining my situation, this is after a month of no dispatch notice and a message to them on their web site. Absolutely no compensation and the woman was so condescending I immediately asked for a refund. No wonder they don't have a place to write a review, because I'm sure if they did they would out of business.
Oct 29, 2009
74 posts
57 upvotes
I was considering ordering something from this site since the item is $50 cheaper than elsewhere, also they have a $10 off if you sign up for their mailing list which would have made it $60 cheaper, except after you sign up it tells you the coupon is only valid on orders over $174 or some nonsense, ye old bait and switch. That plus the info in this thread means I won't be ordering from there after all.
Jul 29, 2013
3 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Do not buy from this company/site. Terrible service. Product ($4000+) arrived defective and they refused to replace it. Instead they asked me to contact product warranty to get it repaired myself. It was my fault that I did not search their review before ordering. If I've seen all these negative reviews, I wouldn't have ordered it in the first place.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)