Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3715 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River

Cooler for a 5900x?

It would be going on an X570 ITX board so clearances could be an issue, like making sure it clears the RAM and doesn't hit the rear exhaust fan over the backplate.

Case is a Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX, max CPU cooler height 159mm:
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/ca ... box-q300l/

I have no experience with water cooling but maybe it's time to try an all-in-one since that would eliminate all the potential clearance issues. That case says it can support a rear 120mm radiator or front 240mm radiator.
MasterboxQ300L.jpg

Note: Reason for ITX in mATX case is upgrades wouldn't fit in previous ITX case so I moved it into the this case I already had.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2085 posts
408 upvotes
Brampton
AIO 240 should fit on the very top of the case. However, since its a mATX case, you might have an issue with putting it the 240mm + fans. They might block the RAM modules and/or wont provide you enough space for your 8-pin.

You'll know this, once you have the AIO on hand and able to double check it.

You can put the 240 rad on the front. Just keep in mind, if you can preferably - orient the tubes so they're on the bottom of the case.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4563 posts
1643 upvotes
Should be able to fit a Noctua U12A in there. Top of the line 120mm air cooler if you want to go that route. AIO water coolers aint too bad to put in either.

Or perhaps you can look into a better ITX case. Cooler Master NR200 is a pretty popular one that should be able to fit alot of common components. Using one myself. Moved from a Fractal Design Core 500 to the NR200. I like the NR200 since you can take basically 5 outta the 6 sides off from the chassis, makes for easier installation of components. But its even more restrictive on Air cooler height at 155mm, does support AIO though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3715 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
coilz wrote: Should be able to fit a Noctua U12A in there. Top of the line 120mm air cooler if you want to go that route. AIO water coolers aint too bad to put in either.

Or perhaps you can look into a better ITX case. Cooler Master NR200 is a pretty popular one that should be able to fit alot of common components. Using one myself. Moved from a Fractal Design Core 500 to the NR200. I like the NR200 since you can take basically 5 outta the 6 sides off from the chassis, makes for easier installation of components. But its even more restrictive on Air cooler height at 155mm, does support AIO though.
That Noctua is 158mm so I'm not super confident being only 1mm from max, though I would hope those case max. numbers give a little extra room for error.

I've looked into that NR200 or N200p, especially because all those sides come off it looks so much easier to build than other ITX cases where I've gone mad trying to get my hands into corners and such. It popped up on bapcsalescanada the other day. I'm not sure I wanna spend more money on cases right now though, I already had to abandon another ITX case, I think I'm just gonna run this mATX for awhile. Actually that last build I kinda said to myself I'm done with ITX cases :).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4563 posts
1643 upvotes
hystavito wrote: That Noctua is 158mm so I'm not super confident being only 1mm from max, though I would hope those case max. numbers give a little extra room for error.

I've looked into that NR200 or N200p, especially because all those sides come off it looks so much easier to build than other ITX cases where I've gone mad trying to get my hands into corners and such. It popped up on bapcsalescanada the other day. I'm not sure I wanna spend more money on cases right now though, I already had to abandon another ITX case, I think I'm just gonna run this mATX for awhile. Actually that last build I kinda said to myself I'm done with ITX cases :).
The Scythe Fuma 2 is also pretty highly rated, comes in at 154.5mm!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3715 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
coilz wrote: The Scythe Fuma 2 is also pretty highly rated, comes in at 154.5mm!
I think it's too deep though, pretty sure it won't clear the rear case fan. The stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler (currently in there with different CPU) is already pretty much touching the rear case fan.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4563 posts
1643 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I think it's too deep though, pretty sure it won't clear the rear case fan. The stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler (currently in there with different CPU) is already pretty much touching the rear case fan.
Relevant reddit thread with your exact issue. seems like the case isn't as limited as you would think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... ua_nhd_15/

some guy fit a D15 in there?..
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2885 posts
2256 upvotes
Markham
hystavito wrote: I think it's too deep though, pretty sure it won't clear the rear case fan. The stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler (currently in there with different CPU) is already pretty much touching the rear case fan.
Honestly, I put a Scythe Fuma 2 in a NR200, I just removed the rear case fan and used it as an exhaust fan at the top. So basically my Fuma 2 is both the CPU cooler and a rear case fan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3715 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
coilz wrote: Relevant reddit thread with your exact issue. seems like the case isn't as limited as you would think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... ua_nhd_15/

some guy fit a D15 in there?..
The height is only one problem, but I was talking about the fact that being an ITX motherboard there's much less space between the CPU and the backplate. What I meant by "depth" (maybe wrong term) was the size as if you measured the cooler from the "front", as in nearest the front of the case, to the "back", as in nearest the back of the case. So the CPU currently in there uses the stock AMD Wraith Prism and it's already touching the rear case fan.

So I searched and I couldn't find an official dimensions for the Wraith Prism but I found this on Amazon:
Wraith 127 x 112 x 102

Noctua NH-U12A 158 x 125 x 112
Scythe Fuma 2 137 x 131 x 154.5

I guess this means I pretty much have to either get a cooler designed for ITX, or water cooling, or buy a new motherboard, or just forget it all together as I am not committed to the 5900, or...
JeganV wrote: Honestly, I put a Scythe Fuma 2 in a NR200, I just removed the rear case fan and used it as an exhaust fan at the top. So basically my Fuma 2 is both the CPU cooler and a rear case fan.
Or remove the rear exhaust, which hopefully gets me the extra 10mm I need for the Noctua (or similar size other cooler), and I still have the option of top exhaust too.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4563 posts
1643 upvotes
I see what you mean, but I think you have alot more room than you think with regards to " Depth". Found another thread about Q300L sizing https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/c ... 600_users/ and also https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... ows_a_big/

They seem to worry more about touching the " top" of the case rather then the "back " of the case.

But if they can fit a D15 which is a 165mm cooler in there, you should be able to fit my original idea of a U12S in there no problem, Being a single tower design it shouldn't interfere with the exhaust fan. Smaller ITX size coolers can probably cool your 5900X but probably leaves no headroom for overclocking? I am using a Noctua U9S in my NR200... it's definitely small enough, reason i didnt go with the Fuma 2 is I wanted to use the Tempered glass panel. Some say I can go with the Scythe Mugen 5 and have it touch the glass panel when closed... but I had the U9S from a previous build.

edit: Some coolers are also " off set " , could factor into fit over the memory/ IO back area.