Expired Hot Deals

Newegg

COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V Power Supply $29 W/Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2010 5:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10747 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V Power Supply $29 W/Free Shipping

COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply

$29 with free shipping at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-046-_-Product

Would have just updated the old thread, but it was expired early.
cooler-master-elite-460-rs-460-psar-j3- ... ng-896234/
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3352 posts
1995 upvotes
GVRD
If you're building a cheap setup, then this is good enough, and much better than any cheap HEC/Coolmax/Logisys/Eagle Tech garbage that is at the same price-point.

NCIX has the Corsair 400CX for the same price and I would recommend this over the Cooler Master. However, they also charge for shipping, and I suppose the CM is a passable option if you're really on a tight budget.

The CM, despite being marked as 460W, is really 400W so keep that in mind.

However, you're building something that's lower mid-range or better, then definitely get the Corsair, and maybe bump the budget up a bit and get something that is 500W+ to be safe.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1002 posts
239 upvotes
Mississauga
scv wrote: if you're building a cheap setup, then this is good enough, and much better than any cheap hec/coolmax/logisys/eagle tech garbage that is at the same price-point.

Ncix has the corsair 400cx for the same price and i would recommend this over the cooler master. However, they also charge for shipping, and i suppose the cm is a passable option if you're really on a tight budget.

The cm, despite being marked as 460w, is really 400w so keep that in mind.

However, you're building something that's lower mid-range or better, then definitely get the corsair, and maybe bump the budget up a bit and get something that is 500w+ to be safe.
+1
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10747 posts
5373 upvotes
Toronto
scv wrote: If you're building a cheap setup, then this is good enough, and much better than any cheap HEC/Coolmax/Logisys/Eagle Tech garbage that is at the same price-point.

NCIX has the Corsair 400CX for the same price and I would recommend this over the Cooler Master. However, they also charge for shipping, and I suppose the CM is a passable option if you're really on a tight budget.

However, you're building something that's lower mid-range or better, then definitely get the Corsair, and maybe bump the budget up a bit and get something that is 500W+ to be safe.
Thanks for giving the deal some perspective.
Here's the Corsair at NCIX.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... omoid=1016
Dec 21, 2006
256 posts
108 upvotes
Review of this unit by Hardware Secrets

From the review: Even though this power supply can’t deliver its labeled power, it isn’t a bad product for its price tag and targeted audience. Its real power is close to its labeled power (430 W) and its efficiency isn’t bad for a low-end product. Plus it has all its protections up and running, a thing sometimes hard to find on cheap power supplies.

I've been using it in a HTPC for a few months and had no issues.
Sep 22, 2007
92 posts
21 upvotes
Chatham
Can you guys recommend an efficient PSU for itx Atom motherboard with 5 SATA HDDs? I am tried to find something for a week now and have no luck. Which one to use???
Dec 21, 2006
256 posts
108 upvotes
maxbis2000 wrote: Can you guys recommend an efficient PSU for itx Atom motherboard with 5 SATA HDDs? I am tried to find something for a week now and have no luck. Which one to use???
SilverStone NightJar 400w Has enough SATA connectors for your 5 hard drives + an optical drive. ~85%+ efficiency at all power draw levels.

You'll have to buy it from ebay though, since it seems to be out of stock everywhere in Canada. (Nightjar listing

Oh, and you didn't say cheap :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3352 posts
1995 upvotes
GVRD
I like the NightJar, but it isn't worth the money unless you really need an absolutely silent machine.

I think the Seasonic SS0-350ET would be a better choice. Seasonic quality is always good, efficiency is around 85-86%, and I doubt you'll need more than 200W with that setup anyhow.

It looks like it only has 4 SATA connectors, but a cheap Molex to Sata adaptor cable will solve that.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=30144 ... lectronics
Deal Addict
May 28, 2008
1596 posts
36 upvotes
scv wrote: If you're building a cheap setup, then this is good enough, and much better than any cheap HEC/Coolmax/Logisys/Eagle Tech garbage that is at the same price-point.

+1

I have two of these and they are pretty good for two desktop builds, quiet as well.
Sep 22, 2007
92 posts
21 upvotes
Chatham
Actually the motherboard that I found has 4 SATA and 1 IDE, so 4 SATA connectors is perfect. I don't care about being silent as it is going to be a server in the basement. I just want to have something 80+ under $40. But I was thinking I don't need anything more than 250W, and all of them come with 1 SATA or something like that, and somebody was recommending 120-150w for setup like that to be more energy efficient.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2055 posts
515 upvotes
maxbis2000 wrote: Can you guys recommend an efficient PSU for itx Atom motherboard with 5 SATA HDDs? I am tried to find something for a week now and have no luck. Which one to use???
Pico 120W would be the most ideal solution, quiet, and over 95% if not 100% efficiency. Although, budget wise, this PSU in the OP is great. I have the original FSP Sparkle 400W, which is the OEM version of this one. My server is using it, and running 8 HDDs, a Sempron 140, and a 785GM motherboard. Hardly breaking 100w, so in real world application, this PSU is overkill for most already.

If you don't mind the extra buck, a 350W Seasonic is a better choice IMO.
Sep 22, 2007
92 posts
21 upvotes
Chatham
Chocolinx wrote: Pico 120W would be the most ideal solution, quiet, and over 95% if not 100% efficiency. ...
Yes, I wanted to buy this one first, but it has only 1 SATA connector. I can add a splitter but will it pull 4 SATAs from 1???

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)