Automotive

Cop reduced my speeding ticket and incorrectly increased the speed limit

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2022 2:02 pm
Jun 10, 2019
8 posts
2 upvotes

Cop reduced my speeding ticket and incorrectly increased the speed limit

I received a speeding ticket near the Toronto airport where the speed limit was 50 km/h. The cop walked into the middle of the street to stop me and pulled me over. She clocked me at 84 km/h. I responded in a controlled and outstanding fashion and she ended up reducing my clocked speed to 74 km/h while increasing the speed limit of the road to 60 km/h with a fine of $50. The speed limit that she wrote was incorrect.
What should I do?

Pay off the ticket

Take the ticket for early resolution citing that the speed limit was incorrect.

Take the ticket to court to cite the incorrect speed limit was used.

Any help is appreciated!
37 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
So the cop gave you a break and you want to go fight it?
May 3, 2003
917 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
He got a break and the break-giver goofed in the process, now he wishes to take advantage of that good to get away entirely.

Correct?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1746 posts
1055 upvotes
Sounds like it.

You can try going down that route. But there's a possibility the cop shows up and corrects both the speed you went and the posted speed.
The location is listed on the ticket and the speed limit could easily be looked up.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
Cops always show up for traffic court dates unless its something they truly want to give you a break on.

But speeding is actually a high priority towards public safety. I know you speed racers and master mechanics think speeding is okay. But it is the #1 cause of traffic fatalities. Its actually worst than driving drunk or high.

“The statistics from ICBC reveal that in 2013, 28% of fatal accidents were caused by speeding, 23% by drunk driving, and 29% by driver distractions. ”

So that means they show up for traffic court dates. You luck out if @ the time of the court date they have to attend a call/emergency.

I believe there is a way for them to go back to the original charges of what actually happened, even though they gave you a break. They’ll still have evidence of what actually happened.

Because @ a court date when i was able to get street racing charges dropped. The prosecutor was so threatening because I had the most clever strategy to beat him. He said “you know… the court knows you went 170kph and not 151. We can nail you for 171 if i wanted too.”
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Oct 14th, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
Pay the $50, thank your lucky stars, and drive a little less irresponsibly.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2145 posts
1789 upvotes
Will the judge not just thank for OP’s “honesty”?

Judge: right, you can proceed to pay the fine for 24km/h over instead of 14 over on the ticket.

By the way, 84 in a 50 zone is pretty crazy IMO.

I wonder what “responded in a controlled and outstanding fashion” really mean. Can you explain further?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1821 upvotes
You’re 6km/h away from stunt driving. You’re lucky you got a break from it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
eshum wrote: He got a break and the break-giver goofed in the process, now he wishes to take advantage of that good to get away entirely.

Correct?
She didn’t goof. I assume because the driver responded in a “controlled and outstanding fashion” she was willing to increase the speed limit on the ticket which brought the speeding charge to 14KM/H over - the threshold for points is 16 KM/H and over.
Dec 16, 2021
157 posts
226 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Cops always show up for traffic court dates unless its something they truly want to give you a break on.

But speeding is actually a high priority towards public safety. I know you speed racers and master mechanics think speeding is okay. But it is the #1 cause of traffic fatalities. Its actually worst than driving drunk or high.

“The statistics from ICBC reveal that in 2013, 28% of fatal accidents were caused by speeding, 23% by drunk driving, and 29% by driver distractions. ”

So that means they show up for traffic court dates. You luck out if @ the time of the court date they have to attend a call/emergency.

I believe there is a way for them to go back to the original charges of what actually happened, even though they gave you a break. They’ll still have evidence of what actually happened.

Because @ a court date when i was able to get street racing charges dropped. The prosecutor was so threatening because I had the most clever strategy to beat him. He said “you know… the court knows you went 170kph and not 151. We can nail you for 171 if i wanted too.”
@UrbanPoet, is this a true story, or hypothetical. If true, do share.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1821 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Wait. 40 over is stunt driving now? Used to he 50!
They expanded the stunt driving laws.

If you do 40km/h or more above the speed limit where the speed limit is less than 80km/h can face stunt driving charges.

Areas where the speed limit is 80km/h or more, they can face stunt driving charges if they go more than 50km/h over the limit.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
Kingsmen17 wrote: They expanded the stunt driving laws.

If you do 40km/h or more above the speed limit where the speed limit is less than 80km/h can face stunt driving charges.

Areas where the speed limit is 80km/h or more, they can face stunt driving charges if they go more than 50km/h over the limit.
Holy crap. Not gonna lie. I hit 140 on the 400 going to the cottage.
I know i’m a hypocrat. But have you seen the highways on 400 near cottage country? Its just you and 3 other people. Passing cars every once in a while. Everyone was doing 130 minimum.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5819 upvotes
When I did own oil equities a few months ago, I was saying this in my mind as the speed demons passed by "$$$$$". Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Jan 14, 2007
668 posts
281 upvotes
GTA North
UrbanPoet wrote: Holy crap. Not gonna lie. I hit 140 on the 400 going to the cottage.
I know i’m a hypocrat. But have you seen the highways on 400 near cottage country? Its just you and 3 other people. Passing cars every once in a while. Everyone was doing 130 minimum.
Hope you were in the far right lane until you needed to pass those 3 people, who no doubt were also in the right lane. Winking Face

400 North of 7 is a respectable place, unlike the 401, which seems to know no common decency (keep right except to pass) until you get past Kitchener heading west
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Cops always show up for traffic court dates unless its something they truly want to give you a break on.

What was the clever strategy you used to beat him and how did you respond to him threatening to nail you for 171km?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't the ticket come with points? Then you should fight it.
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
Wow, textbook example of narcistic thinking: "I responded in a controlled and outstanding fashion.".

This might be the line of the year on RFD.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
carmaster wrote: Doesn't the ticket come with points? Then you should fight it.
14 kmh over isn't points. 24 over, which the ticket could be corrected to if they correct the speed limit, would have points. 34 over, which is the actual case, would have points and an even healthier ticket. Why anyone would fight a gift like this I have no idea.