Expired Hot Deals

[CopperSmith] Copper sinks (50% off select models)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 5:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto

Copper sinks (50% off select models)

Deal Link:
Savings:
50%
Retailer:
CopperSmith
A bit out of left field, but for those renovating a kitchen or bath, and you want a unique sink, these guys make good quality copper and other material sinks at decent (relatively speaking) prices.

They have some on clearance. I bought a double bowl, 14 gauge smooth copper sink for a kitchen reno at the cottage. Was a massive splurge but it's pretty awesome. I paid closer to their current 'regular' prices, and a variation of that sink is available for half of what I paid.

They patina quite nicely if that's your think, and they clean up with lemon juice if you want to brighten them up. Naturally anti-microbial too - kills Covid cold!

NOT CHEAP - we're talking about USD$1200 sinks selling for USD$600 or so. Thankfully I bought my custom dual-bowl model a number of years ago when the CAD was stronger.

IMG_0820.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 10th, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
14 replies
Jun 15, 2019
208 posts
310 upvotes
Fancy, but... there's a reason why they are a not more popular:
https://cleaning.tips.net/T008077_Carin ... Sinks.html
Avoid using abrasives and acids. Simply put, you will want to avoid using anything harsh near your copper kitchen sink. This means that you should not use any type of abrasive cleanser. In addition, this also means that you need to avoid allowing any citrus, or other kinds of acids, to have direct contact with the copper. The acids and abrasives can end up etching the copper in your sink, which will allow black spots to form, and lead to a bad odor (similar to a "wet penny") which can be next to impossible to get rid of. If you are faced with this situation, about all you can do is call a professional in to either replace the sink, or have it resurfaced.
Not saying it's a bad item, just... not as robust or trustworthy as the usual deal. My guess they apply a coating of some sort to protect the copper or something of the line, but still, not my cup of tea.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
Take all of that with a grain of salt. We've used and abused our copper sink for a few years now. I've left sliced lemons from drinks sitting in the bottom of the sink. You get a nice shiny copper circle as a result which patinas back to a warm copper color in a few days.

We specifically went with a non-finished copper - raw - for our sink for this very reason. They also offer antiqued / finished copper as options which would suffer under the same conditions.

Those "tips" are written by someone who is trying to protect an artificial finish on a copper sink, which is idiotic. If you want a faux finish, then there's no compelling reason to buy a copper sink. The entire point is to get a natural finish that patinas with age and use.

The idea of waxing a copper sink is about the stupidest thing I've read today, and I've been on Fox News.

But then again some people buy polished marble counters and expect them to stay pristine. We bought honed marble counters (different kitchen than the copper sink) and they are etched and well loved.
Jun 4, 2011
370 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
I mean I guess this is a deal for a copper sink but why would one not use stainless? Non reactive, more robust, not $1200,
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
314 posts
354 upvotes
Nunavut
Why would you pay more money for an uglier product... i hate this whole lets make copper the new gold/silver thing, copper is hands down the ugliest material to have around
Sep 12, 2007
519 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa
Wasn't it the copper sinks and baths that was partly responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire? Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by lkovacs on Apr 11th, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
Havox07 wrote: I mean I guess this is a deal for a copper sink but why would one not use stainless? Non reactive, more robust, not $1200,
I guess you could ask that question of any non-stainless steel sink. Ceramic, enamel coated cast iron, resin, copper... lots of choices out there. Plenty of us out there who want something a little different, have an appreciation for materials etc.

Unless your choices are made purely on function over form, which of course they're not, you could ask the same question about every one of your possessions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
lkovacs wrote: Wasn't it the copper sinks and baths that was partly responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire?
You're thinking about the urban myth about lead. All of your drinking water has been flowing through copper pipes your entire life.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
Hindustunna wrote: Why would you pay more money for an uglier product... i hate this whole lets make copper the new gold/silver thing, copper is hands down the ugliest material to have around
Well, that's a pretty strong opinion. I guess you really like your gold and silver. Copper is a highly functional perfect material for many applications, including sinks.

These are expensive because they're not stamped out in an overseas factory like all the gold and silver trinkets I assume you have on your shelves.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote: Do these things have problems with galvanic corrosion? That is if I leave an aluminum or cast-iron pan in the copper sink, particularly if there's salt or something else around, and there's no protective coating on the copper... will we not see galvanic corrosion happening extremely quickly?

Keep citrus acids away from stone countertops (granite quartz etc) as you do not want to remove the "patina" of the special sealants they use to keep them nonporous.
Not that we've experienced. If you're leaving your pots and pans in the sink for long enough to cause this sort of reaction, there are other problems to solve.
Nov 3, 2018
306 posts
652 upvotes
one plus is that copper is antibacterial and antiviral. something about the copper ions disrupting the bacteria cellular process and the viral protein coatings.
Apr 13, 2016
532 posts
349 upvotes
supremePug wrote: one plus is that copper is antibacterial and antiviral. something about the copper ions disrupting the bacteria cellular process and the viral protein coatings.
I looked up studies on this, its true. I have a copper jug for water because of it. I wonder though once the copper develops the patina does it still have those properties? or is it eventually too diminished to work properly? basically requiring cleaning and resurfacing every now and then because of it
May 22, 2014
353 posts
202 upvotes
The roofs on Parliament Hill used to be copper! In before green sinks :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3223 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
davidqbp wrote: The roofs on Parliament Hill used to be copper! In before green sinks :D
They're still copper. Just oxidized over about 30 years.
Jan 5, 2018
84 posts
44 upvotes
BugMeNot
Copper kills Coronavirus, so look for Copper to be the next gold. Thanks OP!