Parenting & Family

Cord Blood and Peristem Cell Bank Services - looking for insights and suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 1:47 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2943 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto

Cord Blood and Peristem Cell Bank Services - looking for insights and suggestions

Anyone have any opinions or insight into this service?

A friend of mine is being offered this service but just from a quick glance - it looks like a lot of the treatments and therapies that involve these stem cells are experimental in nature?

I believe stuff like leukaemia and other disease of the blood, and some immune disorders can be treated via stem cells but all the other stuff like autism, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, MS, parkinson's, Alzeimers, cerebral palsy, diabetes --> it's all experimental at this point.

Is it worth it to have these stem cells harvested and then stored for the entire duration of the child's life and into old age lolll
14 replies
Jan 18, 2012
141 posts
69 upvotes
I honestly can't offer you any valuable insight in terms of the SCIENCE but we passed up on it when we had our little on last year. They were marketing it pretty hard in our prenatal class and I think one couple ended up buying the service. Our family doctor said she did it for her kid but stopped paying the storage feeeeeeeee after a while... so I guess you end up losing it? You can liken as a long term rental from Reliance paying storage fees in perpetuity.

Maybe it's good to have. They do tug on your heart strings but are not really clear if they are actually using it for treatment yet. I never got straight answer when I asked the clinic besides a lot of research being put into it........... In the end you're may be just paying for peace of mind?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
We did it. To me it's simple. Can you afford the cost per year? If yes then do it. Cost is about $100/yr I think. I forget. Cheaper than Netflix I think? Lol

Because there has been cases where stem cells did help. I know my coworkers kid had some disease at age 2 where doctor said they could use stem cells, it may help. But they didn't join. There is a public suppository, but I'd rather take charge of my own kids lives. And not hope someone else will match and be available.

Again, yes I can afford it per year. So what's my excuse?

It's almost like travel insurance. Same argument, but this one can literally be life and death. $100-200/yr, yes I can afford it.

If it's was $5/year, would you do it? If yes then the main issue is money. Vice versa

Next is to pick the right company. I went to all the presentations and picked the one that met all my criteria. PM me if you want to know.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2640 posts
773 upvotes
North York
My cousin had just finished university and was diagnosed to have multiple sclerosis (MS) a few months afterwards and it totally devastated my aunt and uncle. My aunt had done some research and when she found out we were expecting a baby she recommend we consider saving the cord blood as it could be used to treat some illness such as MS. So we went to a seminar for gather some information about it, procedures on how and when the blood would be harvested and a tour of their lab and facilities. I have been paying $125 per year since 2009 for yearly storage fees which is a small price to pay for piece of mind. The way I see it is this is one of those things you hope you never have to use but (knock on wood) should my daughter or even my wife develop any sort of sickness that could be treated using stem cells I would never forgive myself. Here is an story of how a dying mom In Labor was saved by baby’s cord blood.

If you would like to know who I chose to bank my daughter's cord blood you can PM me too. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3598 posts
688 upvotes
Talk to your medical professional rather than a sales/marketing person from the company.

We were on the fence and my wife's OB talked us out of it.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2895 posts
2631 upvotes
Montreal
The best place to put cord blood is inside your newborn baby. That's where nature has been putting it for millennia. It's where we've evolved to have it.

Opt for delayed clamping (2+ minutes). It's free. Your baby will be better off. And then there's nothing left to bank.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1609 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: The best place to put cord blood is inside your newborn baby. That's where nature has been putting it for millennia. It's where we've evolved to have it.

Opt for delayed clamping (2+ minutes). It's free. Your baby will be better off. And then there's nothing left to bank.
This.

I vaguely recall that the number of times cord blood has been successfully used is negligible and for most conditions the cord blood would have the same defect as the child, so it wouldn't help.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: The best place to put cord blood is inside your newborn baby. That's where nature has been putting it for millennia. It's where we've evolved to have it.

Is there scientific proof of this? If you show me 10,000 cases of this then I can easily show you 10,000 of the opposite (no delayed clamping, and kids are perfectly smart and healthy)

This is unproven and so I would not take this as truth
And certainly not choose this over saving cord blood where it has really helped someone in the future.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2895 posts
2631 upvotes
Montreal
rfdrfd wrote: Is there scientific proof of this?
Yes there is. It is the official scientific position of the WHO, pediatric societies, etc. It is based on multiple studies.

And by the way, delayed clamping is the "natural"/default outcome. It is early clamping which is an intervention, and therefore it is the proponents of early clamping that should bear the burden of proof that it is better.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2436 posts
1204 upvotes
Ottawa
rfdrfd wrote: We did it. To me it's simple. Can you afford the cost per year? If yes then do it. Cost is about $100/yr I think. I forget. Cheaper than Netflix I think? Lol

Because there has been cases where stem cells did help. I know my coworkers kid had some disease at age 2 where doctor said they could use stem cells, it may help. But they didn't join. There is a public suppository, but I'd rather take charge of my own kids lives. And not hope someone else will match and be available.

Again, yes I can afford it per year. So what's my excuse?

It's almost like travel insurance. Same argument, but this one can literally be life and death. $100-200/yr, yes I can afford it.

If it's was $5/year, would you do it? If yes then the main issue is money. Vice versa

Next is to pick the right company. I went to all the presentations and picked the one that met all my criteria. PM me if you want to know.

Cheers!
Well you have to weigh the benefit. Currently it is a real long shot.
By your logic- Do you drive a Volvo SUV. If not you are taking a chance with your kids life. Better to get a slightly safer car or whatever else $10 a month gets you. Save that for your kid in a nice ETF and it might be enough for a down payment on a house when they are 25.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote: Well you have to weigh the benefit. Currently it is a real long shot.
By your logic- Do you drive a Volvo SUV. If not you are taking a chance with your kids life. Better to get a slightly safer car or whatever else $10 a month gets you. Save that for your kid in a nice ETF and it might be enough for a down payment on a house when they are 25.
As a responsible parent , one should do everything.

- get the safest car you can afford
- save for their university cost
- buy a condo or house early for them
- plan how your family will live if you suddenly lose your income or life

First and foremost, look at your own budget and wealth and determine if you can afford having a child or not. And how many. Responsible planning
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2436 posts
1204 upvotes
Ottawa
rfdrfd wrote: As a responsible parent , one should do everything.

- get the safest car you can afford
- save for their university cost
- buy a condo or house early for them
- plan how your family will live if you suddenly lose your income or life

First and foremost, look at your own budget and wealth and determine if you can afford having a child or not. And how many. Responsible planning
Kids might prefer a sibling and work their own way through university. I mean we are all frugal to some extent or wouldn't be here but not everything is money (admittedly contradicting my first post to some extent)
Jan 18, 2012
141 posts
69 upvotes
Honestly, I would donate it to a public bank like we did. Statistically your child would not even need it and at least at a public bank it has a higher chance of being used compared to private banks which has a high chance of being discarded when somebody decides to stop paying for storage.

I know some people say that 100 bux is not a lot but that's just the storage fee. The initial cost by my standards I would not considered to be cheap what's the going rate now maybe close to 4K to start ? Probably not in the budget of millions of family for the initial cost. I guess just treat it like blood. Do you store blood exclusively to use for yourself??? dont think so........... unless have we become such a selfish society that only people with the means can have the chance of living a healthy life. It's like those rich bastards that want themselves frozen cuz they are afraid of death...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16932 posts
1780 upvotes
Thornhill
OP, do what you think may help your kid, and what you can afford. Look at how far science has evolved in a decade. There’s a chance it could help in the future, so why not? That’s what we did.

We went with Inception for cord blood and whatever the other thing was (sorry gotta look it up).

We did delayed clamping and there was enough cord blood for Inception.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11470 posts
3730 upvotes
Toronto
Reviving a 7 months old thread.

Come across this subject since our new born is on the way.

Wife and I both agree that it is a good thing to do.
If we know about this and we are financially capable, why not getting an extra insurance.

This insurance is not covering your car or financial loss, but health, which there is nothing else can replace.

My colleagues referred me to Insception Bank, but I found Progenics is slightly lower in cost.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015