are cordless vacuums worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 9:11 am
[OP]
May 2, 2014
458 posts
176 upvotes

are cordless vacuums worth it?

i have medium pile carpets in two bedrooms. it takes about 10-15 minutes to vacuum each of the two bedrooms.
i do not live in this place, a relative does and he cleans it. he is getting old so i am trying to ease his life with a less bulky, less heavy and plugless vacuum.
my budget is up to $500.....

so just wondering if it is worth it, or just move on an let bygones be bygones Smiling Face With Open Mouth

i am even contemplating a robot vacuum.
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1285 posts
1721 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I have a Dyson Big Ball Animal and a Dyson V11 Absolute.

If I could only have one, I would pick the Big Ball for sure. I think the sticks are great as secondary vacuums, but I don't like using them when I have to vacuum my whole house.

If you have a really small place like a condo, I could see a stick vacuum as being good enough.

If I'm going to vacuum for 10 - 15 minutes, I probably wouldn't use the stick. Stick is great for some things. Like if my kid spills his Cheerios, just grab the stick and clean it up without having to drag out the big vacuum.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
458 posts
176 upvotes
Yea. It’s for a condo. About 1200 in total but 700 is carpeted...in square feet. No pets.

I would ask you what you think of the cordless stick vacuum, but Your v11 seems to be the Ferrari of such vacuums and out of my price range lol
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11745 posts
6929 upvotes
Paris
Hoover makes some nice upright battery models in various price ranges. Have a look at them.
Sep 12, 2003
655 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
You can also try for the v10, should last about an hr and it’s pretty good!
Heatware: TheOneBarton
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1285 posts
1721 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
ausername wrote: Yea. It’s for a condo. About 1200 in total but 700 is carpeted...in square feet. No pets.

I would ask you what you think of the cordless stick vacuum, but Your v11 seems to be the Ferrari of such vacuums and out of my price range lol
ya, picked that up for $400 from Canadian Tire on black friday... got lucky to find one at that price... was a crazy day.

I also have a dog, 3 cats, and 2 kids... so we vacuum a lot. I wouldn't pay full price for the V11. I still like big ball canister better even though it's around half the price of the V11.

main reason I don't like the V11 too much is that it's not very comfortable for longer term use. If you're just doing a few minutes, it's great. Otherwise, pretty uncomfortable to use. And I'm a pretty fit guy in my 30s... I think especially older people would have a lot of trouble using this for extended periods.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
87 upvotes
TheOneBarton wrote: You can also try for the v10, should last about an hr and it’s pretty good!
Yeah, we have th v10 and the Dyson ball vacuum. Even though th ball is older, and heavier, I definitely prefer it for a proper cleaning. I find the stick doesn't clean the carpets as well as the ball.

That being said, when my parents (mid 70's) needed their vacuum replaced, I got them a canister vacuum rather than upright. The part they are moving around constantly, is light, but it still has the power of a full size vacuum.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6558 posts
3692 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on the person and what they want to use. I have a Dyson V10, and use it a lot, even without really meaning to. Sometimes I drop some crumbs and because it's so easy, I just grab the vacuum to get rid of them - and then because it's just a couple of minutes more, I do the whole room while I'm at it. With an upright or canister, I'd be thinking about carrying the thing around without not bashing into anything, finding somewhere to plug it in, pushing it around, stopping to move the cord around stuff, then carrying it back to wherever it's supposed to go and coiling the cord back around neatly - jokes, I meant just throwing the whole cord into the closet so it's even harder to start up next time. Forget that, I'd just kick the crumbs under the desk and call it a day.

Bottom line is, it doesn't really matter if the upright or canister cleans better than the cordless if I'm going to use the cordless ten times more often.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
458 posts
176 upvotes
Manatus wrote: I'd be thinking about carrying the thing around without not bashing into anything, finding somewhere to plug it in, pushing it around, stopping to move the cord around stuff, then carrying it back to wherever it's supposed to go and coiling the cord back around neatly - jokes, I meant just throwing the whole cord into the closet so it's even harder to start up next time.
thats exactly what i am trying to avoid with the cordless Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10073 posts
1943 upvotes
Toronto
Like someone said, if the user is an older person, weight is important. None of the Dyson cordless ones are light enough in my opinion. Even for me. having to carry the entire motor and parts in one hand while moving it around is not easy on the wrist.

I have two Dyson's, both cannister type. Ya, its a chore to plug it in, but after that, its light, even kids can do the vaccuming. With full power suction as well. I bought both from Dyson official refurbished from eBay. 10+yrs and still going strong. When they arrived, it looked brand new.
Dec 24, 2009
34 posts
6 upvotes
Nanaimo
I bought a Hoover Lynx a couple years ago and find that I now vacuum every couple of days as it is just so much quicker and easier. I rarely pull out the corded vacuum and never use the roomba anymore. I don't find vacuuming to be a chore anymore. It probably doesn't do as good of a job but I'm doing it more often so my floors are cleaner.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6115 posts
1956 upvotes
Mississauga
cordless stick vacuum will meet your needs...

i have no issues with the shark.... there are a few models so decide which you want

you don't need to pay for the overpriced dysons...
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10690 posts
3346 upvotes
we have a dyson stick and it does our whole house of 2400 feet. its really powerful.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11745 posts
6929 upvotes
Paris
jlb64 wrote: I bought a Hoover Lynx a couple years ago and find that I now vacuum every couple of days as it is just so much quicker and easier. I rarely pull out the corded vacuum and never use the roomba anymore. I don't find vacuuming to be a chore anymore. It probably doesn't do as good of a job but I'm doing it more often so my floors are cleaner.
I have a Lynx stick at home to augment the central vac (easy chore for kids) and a more robust upright at the cottage that’s some sort of Hoover. Both are great.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3291 posts
3278 upvotes
Montreal
From the reviews I've seen, people say that the Dyson v11 can replace an upright.

It is above your budget, but perhaps within your budget if bought used.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4500 posts
1716 upvotes
GTA
We recently purchased a highly rated yet affordable stick vacuum from Amazon to handle quick clean ups around the house when we don't feel like bringing out the upright. My wife and I agree that this was the best money we've spent recently. It's so handy and convenient for taking care of crumbs in the kitchen, dust on the stairs, etc. that we rarely use the upright any more.

Having said that, the upright does a better job scrubbing our carpets in the bedrooms though the stick does an adequate job.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3005 posts
1495 upvotes
Have had a Dyson V10 Absolute since the BF 2018 Deal.

Haven't touched our central vac system since.