Coronavirus: refund from Expedia

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2020 9:22 am
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
156 posts
152 upvotes

Coronavirus: refund from Expedia

Anybody cancelled through expedia and got their money after 8 weeks? If yes, which airline was it?
Looking for someone who have experience cancelling flights through Expedia.

My case:
3 tickets for my family going through Paris was for March 8, 2020- Bought on expedia, travelling by Air France
Cancelled it on March 6, 2020 as Paris was getting worse by the hour then. Air France policies were changing every couple of hours. I called to get a partial refund (they were going to charge me $350 cancellation fee on a $1350 ticket). But finally they said Air France would give full refund.

I got an email from expedia that confirms the cancellation and full refund and said the refund woud take 6-8 weeks. We are on the 7th week today and I feel I might have to call next week to enquire again. They noted the following in the email:
We have requested your refund through the airline that collected your payment when you booked your flight. It generally takes about 6-8 weeks before your billing statement reflects the refund. The timing depends upon how long it takes the airline and your bank to process.

Anybody cancelled through expedia and got their money after 8 weeks? If yes, which airline was it?

Thank you :)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1387 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
Expedia for TD has issued a credit for an Air Canada booked flight. I'm going to try for a refund as Air Canada cancelled the flight.
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Even if refund issued, it may not actually show up until you get the statement. Got a refund, and it was done as a reversal of the original transaction, instead of a normal refund. It didn't show up in the credit card website during the month, only on the monthly statement as a credit, with transaction date being the original purchase date.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
156 posts
152 upvotes
jflex wrote: Even if refund issued, it may not actually show up until you get the statement. Got a refund, and it was done as a reversal of the original transaction, instead of a normal refund. It didn't show up in the credit card website during the month, only on the monthly statement as a credit, with transaction date being the original purchase date.
thank you :)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3650 posts
2521 upvotes
Toronto
lpin14 wrote: Expedia for TD has issued a credit for an Air Canada booked flight. I'm going to try for a refund as Air Canada cancelled the flight.
The airlines are not budging. I booked with Expedia for TD as well and was told by the airlines to deal with Expedia. It's really annoying, the credit with Expedia for TD is only until Feb 2021 for me even though the airlines are offering 24 months. Hopefully they adjust it as I got another email saying they were working with the airlines to figure out the credit situation.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1790 posts
563 upvotes
My expedia for td flight with ANA refund got posted on Monday. My statement isn't for another 2 weeks so I'm not sure if this is gonna get changed (I had used 300$ of td rewards originally) but for now it's on my CC account as a credit and I have asked them to send me a cheque for the account since i don't have a bank account with them.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1825 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
Got my EVA flight refunded booked via Expedia. The Expedia self service online portal only offered a voucher that must be used by Nov 2020, however EVA policy stated full refunds (but must go through travel agency if not booked by EVA directly).

When I called Expedia within 72 hrs of my departure date, they agreed to follow the airline policy but needed a waiver code. Once they obtained it, I received the refund back on my credit card in 3 business days, including some premium seat upgrades I purchased separately.

Lessons learned for future travel:
1. Remember which airlines offered no trouble refunds during this pandemic and favour them for future trips
2. Book directly with airlines, avoid middleman.
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!