• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 11:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes

Corporate Tax Consultant

I was listening to the news this morning about how big corp "save" billions of taxes by setting up offshore company. I am sure those companies all have a team of tax experts helping them to do so. Just curious, what is the career path to get into this tax consultant field? Can I assume most of them go through the CPA path and then specialized in taxation ? I have heard someone who has non-accounting undergrad degree but then took the taxation master degree, and works as a tax consultant though. By the way, how much do they make ? Can I assume they in general make a lot more than typical accountants ? Someone told me that some tax experts' earning actually tie to a % of the taxes they can save for the corporations.

Thanks for sharing your information :)

Note: I feel kind of bored doing typical accounting/finance work for decades, but I guess it is too late and too old to switch the field. So, this is just my crazy thought going through my mind this morning Face With Tears Of Joy
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
Gee wrote: Did you hear about the Paradise Papers?
Yes, but I guess not all tax accountants/consultants are working on that. By the way, I am not interested in those typical tax department jobs like filing various corporate taxes. I guess there are tax consultants in big 4 & other consulting firms offering services to various big corporations to structure their companies for maximum savings. Thus, just want to learn more about this from people in that field :)
Sep 3, 2017
229 posts
111 upvotes
Only the partners goes home with all the money. There are really no "tax consultant" positions in the big 4 because tax is not grouped under "advisory" or "consulting" arm of the firms. Tax staff make a little more than audit staff, but that's about it.

One thing for sure is tax partners in general make more than audit partners. and partners in the consulting is unmatched with audit or tax.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Its called Tax Planning and my wife is in this field. The career path starts at Big 4 and you need to spend a few years there to get a good understanding on how multinational company tax works. You also need to know Canadian and international tax inside and out, understand the ever changing regulations etc. Having tax-in depth and Masters in Tax also helps.

I've seen the tax structures of multi-billion global companies and let me tell you...those need a 60 inch large format printer to print...in order for the text to be legible.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage