• Jun 25th, 2012 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts

Correctional Officer or Research Analyst

Hey everyone,

So I have come to a crossroads in my life and need some advice.

I have a tentative offer for a position as a Correctional Officer in Edmonton,the job provides great pay and stablility.

my other option is:

I was accepted to a post grad research analyst program (RAPP one year). While the resulting pay is not amazing until you have been in the role for approx five years, there is no such thing as shift work or an inmate trying to assualt/ throw urine at you.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly, as I am not sure what I want and both is not possible.
13 replies
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
danny841 wrote: Hey everyone,

So I have come to a crossroads in my life and need some advice.

I have a tentative offer for a position as a Correctional Officer in Edmonton, they job is great pay and stable. It caters to the side of me that has always wanted to further my career in law enforcement.
Unless you get to carry a cattle prod and can electrocute the prisoners, I would not think it is worth while. But since the whole of society is going down the drain and becoming degenerate or unhealthy, law enforcement is going to be one of the new hot industries along with bill collection/repossession and medicine.
Behold the King, the King of Kings.
On your knees dog.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
123 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Without knowing anything about RAPP, I see more upside and long-term longevity in Option 2. I think being a corrections officer will mess with your head.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Thanks for the replies. Any other thoughts anyone?

Crunch time is coming up within a week and I am still no closer to being 100% sure
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13833 posts
1337 upvotes
Correctional Anaylist. Barring that a Research Officer.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Aug 23, 2011
27 posts
2 upvotes
GLOUCESTER
It looks as if you are looking at two very different career possibilities: front line work vs more of the "back end" of things. To give you some insight, I am currently an analyst in a criminal justice directorate and I love it. I hold a Masters degree in Criminology and I find the research and policy work to be very rewarding. Working in an institution just doesn't appeal to me.
Are the offers federal or provincial? If they are federal, be wary that your position with corrections research could be affected.
Overall, you need to think about what YOU want to do and go for it!
Aug 23, 2011
27 posts
2 upvotes
GLOUCESTER
To clarify by affected I mean affected in terms of receiving a permanent contact in the future
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Thanks for the reply Crawsby,

Sorry I think I was not too clear.

The research analyst thing is a one year post grad program through humber,

http://www.humber.ca/research-analyst/program.html

Has placements, but due to my current experience and the internship I can probabally find work in the criminal justice system as an analyst, if no just go to market research.

The Correctional Officer position is for a provincial facility in Alberta,

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_a ... entre.aspx

To be honest both sides of the fence appeal to me. But I currently work shift work and I find it ruthless on my system. But one offers work and great money by september, the other offers some debts but full time work by May of 2013. I currently have a job but want to move on to something that is more of a "career".
Aug 23, 2011
27 posts
2 upvotes
GLOUCESTER
No problem. It makes more sense now that you've clarified.

If I were in your position, I would think about what you want to do long term. I know it's difficult to decipher what you may want to do (hence the predicament you are in) however, thinking about "career" goals as opposed to "job for money" goals may result in a more sound decision. Good luck!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
40 upvotes
Milton
Being a CO, you'll have great pay and flexibility with your schedule, I've been able to see much of the world, with alot of my corporate friends only being able to snag two weeks of vacation a year. Plus have you ever gone grocery shopping on a Tuesday morning? Haha

Two very different careers, I will say though, there is a gross misrepresentation by the public of what CO's do, but if you are serious to know then by all means PM me.
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!
Dec 10, 2011
112 posts
42 upvotes
NEPEAN
If you are genuinely interested in law enforcement and enjoy something physical rather than just sitting on your bum all day long office drudgery, it could be a worthwhile option to consider. I really value being physically fit so having a job where that is considered an important asset would be a big plus for me, but again everybody's different. Good luck and congratulations on your career success!
Aug 7, 2008
149 posts
43 upvotes
oshawa
As an ex-CO, I can say - RUN AWAY

Being a CO is like doing life on the installment plan. Check the stats for alcoholism, divorce, stress related deaths etc and CO's rank near the top, over cops even.

The pay and time off suck you in, but the job is a meat grinder.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
40 upvotes
Milton
bobus1964 wrote: As an ex-CO, I can say - RUN AWAY

Being a CO is like doing life on the installment plan. Check the stats for alcoholism, divorce, stress related deaths etc and CO's rank near the top, over cops even.

The pay and time off suck you in, but the job is a meat grinder.
That statement greatly depends on what Institution you work in, I've heard horror stories in some of the smaller ones, while where I am it is A LOT better

Also depends on how prone you are to taking the job home with you, it is not for everyone, if you take things to heart you won't last
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!