• Jan 1st, 2023 9:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2505 posts
755 upvotes
GTA

Corroded Bathroom sink P-trap?

Just noticed that my bathroom sink P-trap has a lot of rust coloured and white crust on the outside. However there is no water leaking out. What caused this (I used Liquid Plumbr to clear some hair clogs a few times) and should I get the P-trap replaced? I can't do this on my own - how much should it cost if the plumber would bring the part and also if he were to recaulk the faucet? If you know a good plumber in East GTA, would appreciate if you can please post here or PM me. I got 3 Homestar contacts but they all have bad reviews. Live in a condo but their recommended plumber is verrrry expensive.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
If you store bathroom cleaners under the sink, it can off gas into the space and corrode the metal finish. The chrome on those traps is paper thin. It might last for years, so it's not a panic situation, but you should replace it.
Can't help you with a plumber in your area.
Don't use chemicals to clear your drain. Get a mesh screen to keep the hair and debris out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5398 posts
3658 upvotes
If there is a white crust it is normally a sign of pinholes in the piping and they will eventually leak shortly if they are on the bottom.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
Toss a container under and check it every so often, or add a water sensor. It will eventually fail but no one knows when.