• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 10:01 am
[OP]
Jul 28, 2019
13 posts
7 upvotes

Cost for ATF change on 2009 Accord 2.4L 4 cyl

Hi.

Have never had to get one done since I've driven a manual all my life, actually the same car. But this is my wife's car and the previous owner said he did it at 100k. Car is at 170k now.

I had a mobile mechanic over to do a minor fix on my other car and he suggested I should get an ATF change on the Accord as it's gone 70k since. He said he could do it for $140 labour. Does that sound fair? I was actually thinking of doing it a couple months ago and so I asked him what he thought.

No time to learn and tackle it myself now. Too may things going on and doing tonnes of OT right now so spending the cash for the service ain't too bad right now.

Thanks for the replies.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2329 posts
1503 upvotes
Toronto
sparty123 wrote: Hi.

Have never had to get one done since I've driven a manual all my life, actually the same car. But this is my wife's car and the previous owner said he did it at 100k. Car is at 170k now.

I had a mobile mechanic over to do a minor fix on my other car and he suggested I should get an ATF change on the Accord as it's gone 70k since. He said he could do it for $140 labour. Does that sound fair? I was actually thinking of doing it a couple months ago and so I asked him what he thought.

No time to learn and tackle it myself now. Too may things going on and doing tonnes of OT right now so spending the cash for the service ain't too bad right now.

Thanks for the replies.
The dealership would probably do it around $200 using synthetic ATF. Not a bad deal for something you don't need to do too often.
Oct 15, 2005
190 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Honda parallel shaft AT are pretty simple to service the ATF. The procedure is just drain and refill, you'll get about 1/2 of the total fluid out when you drain it IMO it's good enough.
Some people repeat the procedure after driving it around to get more of the older fluid out.

I think $140 is fair if they include the fluid, its about 3 quarts, but make sure they only use Honda DW1 ATF.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18378 posts
2205 upvotes
Woodbridge
Family Honda was going to charge me $119 but then the whole Crack in the Casing happened. So the CVT was replaced under warranty and didn't have to pay a dime. LOL

I called a few shops and surprisingly they were the cheapest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2440 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
Call places and ask?

Even between dealers the prices vary sometimes greatly. No location also isn't helpful. $140 from a mobile mechanic sounds reasonable.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2716 posts
1952 upvotes
FYI, the tranny fluid is 12.50 a qt. My crv took 3.5qt. They say to do and re do 3x times for a proper (safe) flush. I wont do that myself but will change it every 25k.
Quite easy to do.

Clean drain pan. Drain out. Put in a clear large container (just buy a large jug of distilled water and empty). Mark where it fills up to on the jug and replace with the same amount of fresh fluid.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8063 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
Just had our Odyssey done at the dealer, $119.
Oct 21, 2006
501 posts
292 upvotes
That's a good price, ATF flush cost me $220 at the DEALERSHIP for my 2011 Camry :(
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3757 posts
1042 upvotes
I paid $130 labour only to drop the pan, replace the filter, and fill with new fluid for my 2009 Ford Fusion - so sounds reasonable enough to me. If your transmission has a drain bolt and you don't want to actually drop the pan and replace the filter, then might be a touch steep.

Bought my own fluid and filter because I wanted the Mazda fluid the transmission was designed for, as opposed to the generic multi-vehicle stuff or Mercon V that Ford has since retrospeced the transmission for. Strongly recommend everyone do the same when getting transmission fluid changed, if only to ensure the proper OEM fluid or a satisfactory substitute is used.
Last edited by CorSter on Oct 14th, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2003
506 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
Get it done at the dealership. I got it done at my dealer for honda accord 2011 (same car as yours) for 104+ tax.