• Jul 18th, 2015 10:18 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 28, 2012
38 posts
17 upvotes

Cost to change fuse box to breaker

We bought a house built in 1960 with a fuse box, 60 Amp service. Roughly, how much will it cost to upgrade to 100 Amp service and a breaker box? We may be renting it out to college students and don't want them to repeated trip the fuse box and burn the house down with all their electronics.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Have you tried calling an electrician who works in your area?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
348 upvotes
Thats assuming the wire from road is at least 100 amps and wire and conduit going to meter and panel is all 100 amp. You need new panel and breakers. New panel will be bigger than old panel and wires may not fit.

New panel and breaker is 150 bucks. Do it yourself if wire coming in is 100 amp. 60 amps should be adequate though .dryer and oven are the big loads.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6930 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
kalani13291 wrote: Thats assuming the wire from road is at least 100 amps and wire and conduit going to meter and panel is all 100 amp. You need new panel and breakers. New panel will be bigger than old panel and wires may not fit.

New panel and breaker is 150 bucks. Do it yourself if wire coming in is 100 amp. 60 amps should be adequate though .dryer and oven are the big loads.
This is horrific advice, a panel change is not a DIY job!!!

OP, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for the panel and an electrician to do the job.

Your local Hydro company will probably charge a fee to disconnect the meter during the change over, it's theoretically possible that a service upgrade may all need to happen (larger wire delivering the power to your house).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1185 upvotes
Make sure you get the job inspected .
May 29, 2012
556 posts
209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I just bought a house with 200 amp fuse box
I got a quote for $1600 for new box and breakers
It was part of a larger quote, but I know these boxes and breakers are not cheap
I feel like my quote was a little high but for the whole package price it was the lowest of 3
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4548 posts
4084 upvotes
Toronto
While getting quotes, you might as well see about getting 200 amps for just a few hundred more, especially if each student has their own computer, TV, etc. in their room.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2012
38 posts
17 upvotes
Yes, also considering upgrading to 200 Amp.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6930 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
kalani13291 wrote: Horrific in the sense it puts electricians out of work, maybe. Electrical is the easiest diy.
And that's why govt allows homeowners to do it themselves.
Just cause it's allowed doesn't mean you should nor does it mean everyone possess the skill to do it.

The fact that you mention wires being too short even makes me uneasy, the wires can be extended within the new breaker panel using marettes and #12 or #14 wire and be fully code compliant.

If a person has been doing DIY electrical for years (more than changing plugs and light switches) and are well versed in the electrical code, then sure, have at it. But to suggest to a person, without knowing their skill set, that it's a DIY job is dangerous.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
kalani13291 wrote: Horrific in the sense it puts electricians out of work, maybe. Electrical is the easiest diy.
And that's why govt allows homeowners to do it themselves.
I love homeowners that try to do it themselves to save some money. Keeps me busy fixing it at their expense ;) .
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
kalani13291 wrote: Impossible for homeowner to make mistake. Chimp could do it. Granted,homeowner might be slower if they have bad eye hand coordination. No homeowner would crowd panel w wingnut connections.
Please refrain from offering electrical advice. This sort of job is not DIY.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5039 posts
1425 upvotes
Kitchener
And not all provinces allow home owners to do their own electrical work
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2632 posts
561 upvotes
Burlington
kalani13291 wrote: Yeah, electrical union is powerful.
Yeah, so is 110v, 1A
Write the cheque.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
21643 posts
7158 upvotes
My old prof used to say of handling high voltage electrical sources (especially by lay people that have never done such work before and may accidentally electrocute themselves)...

"The electric chair is much more humane".

Do the wiring yourself but have a competent, registered electrician check and approve your work before applying power...
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
kalani13291 wrote: Impossible for homeowner to make mistake. Chimp could do it. Granted,homeowner might be slower if they have bad eye hand coordination. No homeowner would crowd panel w wingnut connections.
I always assumed the same thing; home electrical is so blindingly simple for me, that I couldn't imagine anyone ever screwing it up. However, I recently bought a home that proves that to be very wrong.

Literally, EVERY junction box that was ever touched since the original build of this home was full of scorch marks from "modifications" that were obviously done in a "connect arbitrarily until it works" method. Even the main electrical box was wired like someone was intentionally trying to set the house on fire.

Doing your own electrical box is a recipe for something really bad if you're not super comfortable with doing it; sure it's really simple, but so is changing the oil in your car, and my sister blew the engine in her new Mustang because she screwed it up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7268 posts
4237 upvotes
Mississauga
kalani13291 wrote: No homeowner would crowd panel w wingnut connections.
Never underestimate the stupidity of a homeowner especially if they're trying to save a buck.

I know enough about household wiring to replace outlets, switches and light fixtures. That's about it. A man's gotta know his limitations. :)
Nov 21, 2010
515 posts
107 upvotes
Ontario
kalani13291 wrote: Yeah, electrical union is powerful.
With all due respect I believe you are mistaken.
Residential electrical contractors generally are not unionized. The IBEW electricians work for the large contractors on big projects, not wiring peoples basements. The union would have nothing to gain by preventing homeowners from doing their own work.