• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 3:50 pm
[OP]
May 19, 2017
6 posts

Cost of concrete patio vs pavers

Hello,

I am from London On area.
I am having hard time deciding whether I should make my backyard patio with concrete or pavers.
My main concern is the cost.
The size is 12 x 20.
So far I got a quote for $ 3000 doing pavers.
The reason I am also thinking about concrete is I want to have concrete on one side of the house so when I push a lawn mower it moves easy and also grass on the side of the house gets neglected.
So if I'm going to call someone for that job I could just continue the concrete side walkway to patio.

Pavers would be beautiful but I wouldn't mind look of concrete either. My main concern is the overall cost. What's your suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
17 replies
Sep 24, 2004
827 posts
408 upvotes
Scarborough
A few things to keep in mind:

Pavers will need maintenance (stones moving, sealing) and can be redone a few years own the road (if you wish to), but with concrete once the concrete is poured its done.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16237 posts
17707 upvotes
Oakville
sudesingh wrote: A few things to keep in mind:

Pavers will need maintenance (stones moving, sealing) and can be redone a few years own the road (if you wish to), but with concrete once the concrete is poured its done.
Concrete can also crack, heave, etc. unless you're pouring a bunker.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5144 posts
1466 upvotes
Toronto
I'd vote for pavers. Much more choices and is fixable in the future, even if DIY with simple tools.
Concrete is boring looking unless it's in area you don't look at often IMO. And while it may last longer, once it does need fixing it'd be a huge job not very DIY-able at all.
Feb 28, 2015
577 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You need 3-4 meters of concrete, estimate $200/meter, $1000-$1500 to place and finish the concrete. Plus whatever preparation needs to be done.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1292 posts
545 upvotes
You can save a lot doing pavers on your own. Requires a bit of work though depending on your soil type. I did pavers front driveway and I had to dig deep enough, lay a special type of fabric(forgot name), fill with sand/gravel, pack it down with tamper, fill with sand, lay pavers, then put finishing sand to fill the space in between. No issues after going through a winter cycle here in Alberta.

After each layer you will have to also make sure to level everything.

Cost me around $300 incl tamper equipment and truck rental to do a 10ft x 1.5ft area.
Jul 8, 2014
341 posts
184 upvotes
AB
I was in the same situation as you earlier this year, where i had to choose between a paver patio or concrete for a ~300sqft area. I ended up going with the paver's and DIY'd most of it.

I was in a new build, so I didn't need to excavate since I was starting at rough grade.

here were my rough costs:

-5 yards of road crush for 4" base (~$400 including delivery)
-1.5 yards of masonary sand (~$150)
-Landscaping fabric ($40)
-paver's 0.80/each X 1450 (~1250 including delivery)
-Plate tamper rental (2 days) (~100)
-Poly sand (5 bags) ~ ($100)
-Pavers edge ($40)
-Misc tools (mallet, masonary blade for angle grinder, landscape stakes, string, dust mask, gloves etc) $50

overall i'm happy with the outcome, although it was a pretty labor intesive project. I would say I spend ~50 hours finishing it, A lot of time was spent wheel borrowing the materials, if you have access I would rent a bobcat.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6565 posts
1117 upvotes
Go for paver. Looks nicer, no cracking issue and can be repaired easier.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
when you say paver? what do u mean? pavement? as in ashphalt? never heard the term paver before. do they pave ashphalt down then cut it into squares or something?
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
810 upvotes
Waterloo
GoodFellaz wrote: when you say paver? what do u mean? pavement? as in ashphalt? never heard the term paver before. do they pave ashphalt down then cut it into squares or something?
^
Spelling Nazi alert
----
Pay it forward.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
who knew? all my life we called them interlock stones / interlock bricks.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5144 posts
1466 upvotes
Toronto
How about interlock brick pavers.

I guess you paver doesn't have to use interlock bricks and interlock bricks have other use aside from pavers... Something something etc
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16237 posts
17707 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: who knew? all my life we called them interlock stones / interlock bricks.
I've heard both, both typically use paver to refer to 2x2ft large stones, that you don't usually interlock.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
yeah larger stones is what my uncle calls them, he dose not use the word paver, cus my other uncle works for a paving company and uses the word paving
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2936 posts
605 upvotes
Ancaster
I wanted to do my driveway in asphalt with a stamped concrete border and stamped concrete for the sides and back patio.

My wife won out and we ended up with interlocking stone (Oaks pavers). It looks nice when it's new but there is so much maintenance to keep the weeds at bay....even using the polymeric sand.

And don't even get me going on the sand/grit that is always on the driveway/patio after a good rainfall. The only upside is that it is more easily relevelled or repaired that concrete.

It is going to be your priciest option as well.