[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
471 posts
211 upvotes

Cost of Diapers?

Hi

My first child is on the way and I am wondering what is a good price for diapers? what stores usually have the best deals (Superstore plus pc insiders, Costco, amazon plus prime)?

I don't have insiders or prime but I do have Costco membership (so I guess that would have to be factored into the price). I don't know much about quality of generic brands (like Kirkland) vs pampers.

Also does shoppers ever have good deals? I got quite a bit of PC points and wondering if I should save them for one of those bonus redemption dates?
26 replies
Aug 24, 2005
311 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 4 month old child and hopefully I can help you.
I noticed that having an Amazon Prime helps since you get a 20% off which goes to like .14 cents per diaper (or $27.30/198 counts for a size 1).
However, Costco's Huggies can be cheaper if they go on sale. Otherwise, they are expensive.
My friend also recommends to checkout Walmart's diaper brand called Little Rascals. They costs pretty cheap and their quality is comparable to other brand of diapers.
Since you have a child on the way, i recommend you logging in to pampers and Huggies website to get some freebies (you and your wife can sign up so you get few boxes of newborn diaper).

For NB diaper, you may not need a lot. It depends on your baby. My baby poops a lot when he was born. I was averaging around 15 to 17 diapers a day. Perhaps it was a rookie move since I changed his diaper every time I see a blue line mark.

For baby's wipes, that is another topic. I would not recommend you get the Kirkland brand cause it is too dry but that is one of the cheaper wipes around. The safest one would be the Huggies brand which Walmart has it on sale this week at $18.97. Not sure if it is still on stock though. The best wipes I have used is called Water Wipes and it has great reviews. Walmart sells it by 9 for $20 dollars I think.

At the end of the day, it really depends on the baby so don't stock up a lot until your baby tries it because some babies get reaction from certain brands. I am lucky that my son didn't have any reaction to any brands. I also prefer Huggies versus Pampers but that is just me.

PM me if you have further questions
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1024 upvotes
Congratulations on the little one.

With PC insider getting rid of 20% pc pts on diapers & formulas.

I believe Amazon S&S would be the next best thing aside from stores specific sale.

ATM I think there's a $20 or $25 off coupon on $75 grocery order at Walmart, might want to check that.

Don't know your location OP but in GTA there's a 10k pts for every $50 on huggies & pampers products.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2200 posts
197 upvotes
+1 for PC insiders. Buy baby formula/diapers when there's 20X pts events and then use points on bonus redemption days at shoppers. I bought 3 boxes of diapers before my son was born. He's 5 months old and i have spent another $ on diapers since.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1024 upvotes
@Wilmega
No more pts in formulas & diapers, they changed the program.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
471 posts
211 upvotes
KeiFeR123 wrote: I have a 4 month old child and hopefully I can help you.
I noticed that having an Amazon Prime helps since you get a 20% off which goes to like .14 cents per diaper (or $27.30/198 counts for a size 1).
However, Costco's Huggies can be cheaper if they go on sale. Otherwise, they are expensive.
My friend also recommends to checkout Walmart's diaper brand called Little Rascals. They costs pretty cheap and their quality is comparable to other brand of diapers.
Since you have a child on the way, i recommend you logging in to pampers and Huggies website to get some freebies (you and your wife can sign up so you get few boxes of newborn diaper).

For NB diaper, you may not need a lot. It depends on your baby. My baby poops a lot when he was born. I was averaging around 15 to 17 diapers a day. Perhaps it was a rookie move since I changed his diaper every time I see a blue line mark.

For baby's wipes, that is another topic. I would not recommend you get the Kirkland brand cause it is too dry but that is one of the cheaper wipes around. The safest one would be the Huggies brand which Walmart has it on sale this week at $18.97. Not sure if it is still on stock though. The best wipes I have used is called Water Wipes and it has great reviews. Walmart sells it by 9 for $20 dollars I think.

At the end of the day, it really depends on the baby so don't stock up a lot until your baby tries it because some babies get reaction from certain brands. I am lucky that my son didn't have any reaction to any brands. I also prefer Huggies versus Pampers but that is just me.

PM me if you have further questions
hmm, I hope I don't need as many per day or I will go broke very fast.

jay-em wrote: Congratulations on the little one.

With PC insider getting rid of 20% pc pts on diapers & formulas.

I believe Amazon S&S would be the next best thing aside from stores specific sale.

ATM I think there's a $20 or $25 off coupon on $75 grocery order at Walmart, might want to check that.

Don't know your location OP but in GTA there's a 10k pts for every $50 on huggies & pampers products.
I am out West,

Wilmega wrote: +1 for PC insiders. Buy baby formula/diapers when there's 20X pts events and then use points on bonus redemption days at shoppers. I bought 3 boxes of diapers before my son was born. He's 5 months old and i have spent another $ on diapers since.
jay-em wrote: @Wilmega
No more pts in formulas & diapers, they changed the program.
That sucks they got rid of that, so is amazon 20% make it cheaper than costco? Like I said I still have no clue what a regular price for a box costs and what is considered a great deal.

I guess then I might as well start using my pc points as it sounds like with out pc insiders there are not very good deals at Shoppers (I do barely any shopping there so unless they have some baby stuff at good deals I don't think I can ever do those redemption events they have like they got for Black Friday right now)
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2200 posts
197 upvotes
I still get 20x the points on baby formula and diapers when SDM has 20x pts events where you spend more than $50 or $75 in store.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2495 posts
1024 upvotes
Quebec
Costco all the way for me

We usually wait for the deal then buy3-6 box during special depending if we plan to make him switch size soon or not
Aug 6, 2008
148 posts
147 upvotes
Look into cloth diapers. We're using them and are very happy. THere are plenty of choices if you do a google search. There is an initial investment, and you will be doing laundry every other day, but it's cheaper in the long run, more environmentally friendly, and your baby will be potty trained a lot earlier too!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1932 posts
1323 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Congrats on the little.

It’s been a very long time since My kids needed diapers. There seemed to be more options now with amazon and all the points. We checked the flyers week. I found there wasn’t too much different between pampers and huggies (Kirkland is made by huggies). I did find pamper a little softer and we went through the rookie mistake with the first child of changing She fed#9, we were into 24 diapers a dials. She was literally pissing her college fund away. Second child we learned to change less frequently which meant if it stunk or if we lifted her up and could feel the difference.

Our tips were if there was a great (both Costco and superstore have them a couple of times a year) we stocked up for months, and took a guess at the sizing. We could usually use up the current case for day time diapers while moving up a size a night. We would exchange the unopened case for a larger size when needed. That was the cheapest way for us for diapers. We also used elimination communities for both our kids, so by 12-14 months, they were going on the toilet In the day ( best thing in the world but a lot of work). And only had them at night until about 2 years old. We were down to 2 diaper day. We spent under $1k for our second. We bought on sale, if we range out, which I don’t think we really did we then did Costco.

For wipes we used whatever, kirkland is the cheapest, We also made out own wipes for the second child. It was healthier, less chemicals, and cleaned better plus about 1/10 of the price. We only used store bought when travelling or while it for long periods of time. I recommend making your own wipes. My nanny who started her own day home still makes them and finds better.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2059 posts
1980 upvotes
jimbob12341 wrote: I don't know much about quality of generic brands (like Kirkland) vs pampers.
from what I know after 2 kids, you don't know what's best for you baby until you try it out.
my 1st, only used pampers, if she used different brand, she would have leaks.
my 2nd one only uses Huggies, we started out with Pampers thinking it's the best since our experience from 1st, but turns out Huggies fits her better....
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3510 posts
2174 upvotes
Pampers seems to be better than Huggies. You don't want to have red butt my friend.
Jan 20, 2012
773 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Just switched to size 4 diaper for my son as he is turning to 17 months old in a few days. We have used both Huggies and Pampers in the first couple months. I found Pampers newborn was better than Huggies while bigger size Huggies fit better than Pampers for my son. Loblaws/SuperStore had the best pricing when combined with manufacturer coupons, discount, bonus points and PC 20% points. I was able to get saving more 60% discounts after applying all points. But since they ended the 20% points for baby product, you may find similar pricing along Loblaws/Superstore/Walmart when they are on sale. On sale price is very close to Amazon’s subscription. So if you don’t have/need Prime member, I don’t see the need for Amazon subscription just for diapers. Costco is a good option for Huggies when they are on sale. Price/diapers is a little more than above stores/Amazon. $0.1785 vs $0.1735 per diaper for Huggies Little Mover size 3. But I found quality is better since they are the “Plus” version. They are able to hold more liquid than the same product line from other retailers.

Always buy multiple when they are on sale. You don’t want to grab them when needed as you may not find sale price all time. Costco puts diapers on sale 3-4 times per year. It was about the same frequency for Loblaws/RCSS with heavier discounts. $8-$10 off vs $2 off monthly. I buy 1-2 boxes of next size up as well when on sale from Costco in case my son outgrown the size.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1350 posts
1126 upvotes
Ottawa
serjiang wrote: Look into cloth diapers. We're using them and are very happy. THere are plenty of choices if you do a google search. There is an initial investment, and you will be doing laundry every other day, but it's cheaper in the long run, more environmentally friendly, and your baby will be potty trained a lot earlier too!
We use cloth diapers too, and have since our 2.5 year old was born.

There's a learning curve. In particular, you really need to research and understand how to properly wash them. There's also an initial capital investment, and it can be pretty steep depending on how many you buy and if you buy all new and high quality cloth. We bought all new (we really like Canadian made Easy Peasies for the pockets and Canadian brands AMP and AppleCheeks for the inserts), and have ~30 pocket diapers and 5 overnights, which was good for ~3 days when our son was younger and 7 days (limited by the number of overnights, so we wash every 5 days) as a toddler. It's over $1k worth of cloth diapers. You'd pay a lot less for cheap made in China brands like Alva Baby.

But once you get the hang of it it's fantastic. I never need to remember to buy diapers, or to run out for an emergency re-stock.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3717 upvotes
Toronto
jimbob12341 wrote:

Also does shoppers ever have good deals? I got quite a bit of PC points and wondering if I should save them for one of those bonus redemption dates?
Yes, This is the best way to spend your PC Optimum points on at SDM.
As we all know, most stuff at SDM are more expensive, so not worth using your PC points to claim for other stuff.

Best deal is to use your PC point to redeem diapers. Personally, i have hard time to reach out to $65 purchase at SDM (to redeem 50k points), so buying diapers helps, even better if they have them on sale.

Also, those 20X at 50$ or $75 purchase helps.

We have Costco membership, but we find that buying diapers at sale price elsewhere or using the redemption at SDM is better choice to get diapers.

Amazon is not giving a huge deal even with the subscription.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1339 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
Make your life simple buy buying the Kirkland diapers from Costco. They are an OK price.

You can get diapers cheaper if you subscribe and save with Amazon or Walmart.

OR, you can get them even cheaper if you have PcPoints offers on diapers. I used to get PC points offers on diapers plus would double up on rewards when there are things like save 25 for every 250 spent at superstore. That would be the best deal you can get. To trigger getting pc points offers on diapers, just buy one box of diapers with you PC card at superstore or the like.

Congratulations!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3717 upvotes
Toronto
Base on the deals, rewards, coupons I used to purchase diapers,

In average, the NB and Size 1 diapers I bought are about 18c to 20c each.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 4, 2013
679 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
jimbob12341 wrote: Hi

My first child is on the way and I am wondering what is a good price for diapers? what stores usually have the best deals (Superstore plus pc insiders, Costco, amazon plus prime)?

I don't have insiders or prime but I do have Costco membership (so I guess that would have to be factored into the price). I don't know much about quality of generic brands (like Kirkland) vs pampers.

One advice I can give is DO NOT STOCK DIAPERS! Especially when your baby is about 1 to 6 months. They grow very quick. Only buy it when you are about to run out but don't get like 2 to 3 packs at once for the same size.