Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Cost estimation to build a 35,000 sqft building?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 6:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
130 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Cost estimation to build a 35,000 sqft building?

Hi folks,

I'm looking into the small possibility of opening a business. The first thing I would need would be a fairly large building, which I can't lease since there's nothing similar available that would fit my needs.

Before I go talk to an engineering company and get proper estimates I wanted to get round numbers from people here that have familiarity with this. This would help to either quit the plan completely or maybe have some hope that it is feasible.

Considering I already have the land, how much would it cost (and what is it included in that cost) to build a 35,000 sqft, 1 story building similar to these ones:

I'm assuming this would be the cheapest way to build (similar to warehouse)? Or is there a method?

Also consider a plain interior at first. Maybe 2 small rooms that can fit 30 people and that's it. The rest of the building would be used for expanding in the future
4 replies
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
130 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Also, in terms of construction, is it cheaper to cut the size by half and make it a 2 story building instead?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9813 posts
1286 upvotes
GTA
I think it will be more expensive to make it a 2 story building. There will have to be larger steel, higher costs for a 2nd floor space in general. If you have the room likely makes more sense to do it all on the ground floor with maybe just 2 story office in the front.

I don't know what current costs are but maybe you can talk to a real estate agent in your area or find a local construction company to get an idea.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Single story is less expensive.

As for cost/sf it really depends on a lot of things that you have not specified. It could be $1X or $2X+ depending on the warehouse finishes, ceiling height, % of the building that is office, office finishes, how many walls in the office, type of lighting, # of washrooms, type of fire protection, # of windows, # of docks and how many are ground level or truck level and the list goes on and on and on ad infinitum.
Jul 19, 2010
39 posts
11 upvotes
And in most cases it is probably worth investing in a real loading dock for trucks rather than a ground level garage, unless you are using it in a drive through layout of some kind. You might not need it now, but it'll be easier to deal with in the initial construction.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)