The cost of euthanizing a 19 year old cat

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2021 1:59 am
Tags:
Apr 9, 2004
359 posts
91 upvotes
London
I paid ~$400ish in London, including private cremation and an urn.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25432 posts
4565 upvotes
My 90 lb dog, with private cremation and ceramic paw print was about $500.

$900 is pure insanity. I would definitely call them and let them know how unhappy you are with their prices and you won't be back in the future with other animals.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: My 90 lb dog, with private cremation and ceramic paw print was about $500.

$900 is pure insanity. I would definitely call them and let them know how unhappy you are with their prices and you won't be back in the future with other animals.
I agree $900 is too high - even in Toronto. But I have a feeling that there is something we do not know. And the OP has not posted re the itemized bill. $400 - $500 is typical using Gateway.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1916 posts
305 upvotes
Canada
sorry for your loss
you can't take back the 900
but what you can do
is adopt and save another life.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
299 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
It has been a while since we lost our Rocky cat. I'm still getting used to being without our little guy and I wonder if this a good time to start looking for another kitty. I need an animal to take care of. Can't see my grand kids at this time and I simply long to have furry little body in the house. Can't even cuddle the dogs I've known since they were puppies! Pets enrich our lives in so many ways. It feels good when you sit down and a cat or dog snuggles next to you. That's what I miss.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
You will always miss Rocky, I can tell you the exact dates and times that we lost our pets. But you can find a kitty without too much difficulty - the problem becomes if you can see the kitty first. Much more difficult than it was - not to mention going to the vet which these days is hard (we also live in Toronto). But it is much easier than adopting a senior dog. Since you mentioned grandchildren I would suggest an older cat rather than a kitten (we too are "older"). I don't mean a 12 year old cat (but that works!) but one that depending on your age you would feel comfortable in adopting.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
299 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 I'm in my late seventies. I worked until June and then I finally said I had enough. At this point in my life, not going out, and all that is going on in the world, a pet is precious. Now there are plants on the window sill instead of a cat sitting in the sun. One thing I remember, as my son and I got in the car and I sat in the passenger seat, kitty in the carrier in my lap. I had my hand on my little guys' back. Not a sound from him. Arriving at the vets door and handing the carrier to the assistant. And we are standing on the street until they called us in and Rocky had already been injected. On the table a liflless iittle body. We spent few minutes in there, then walked out.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
sserbianbelle - I am so sorry for your loss. We had to have our elderly dog put to sleep in April 2020 - and we couldn't be with him. Rules of our vet clinic, but at least they were open with limited hours and our guy knew and loved them all. And he had a sedative before the final shot. Even for euthanasia the rules could not be broken. Of course we had an elderly dog that no one thought would ever die. He looked much younger than almost 17 and until a few days before acted it - a puppy to the end.

You are a bit older than we are but only by a few years. Some people with grandchildren are 50 or they are older. I would recommend an older cat for you and there are many out there looking for homes. And you know I am sure how the cute kittens get adopted first - before they get into that awkward stage. So much depends on your family and if someone will definitely take on your cat should you pass. That is our major concern.

We do not have anyone that we would leave our dog to and the fact that pets are considered chattels is horrific to us. People can take the money and drop off the pet at the closest shelter and many do. Rehoming is definitely not an option for us. Unfortunately, we do not want a cat at this time, but a senior dog. It would be easier if we did want a cat - and we have had both cats and dogs living in complete harmony. Other cats that we would see on our walks with our dogs (always on a leash) were not as well tolerated because they were not our dogs' cats.

I hope that you are able to find a suitable kitty and that you are given a chance to meet him/her. I need to have a dog or a cat pick me. I have found that it really makes a difference.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
299 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 I still remember being in the animal shelter and looking around and I took Rocky (a name he came with) and put him on the floor, and he walked around and looked at me and brushed against my leg and in general was very pleasant. That's when I decided to take him home with me. My sons and grand kids are animal lovers and enjoy taking care of pets.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5686 posts
1868 upvotes
Space
Too high is an understatement. You were ripped off, plain and simple. We paid 200$ and that was at a vet that came on call in the middle of the night. Unless there is something we don’t know about, a simple euthanasia does not cost 900. Even WITH private cremation that’s double what it should cost. I’d definitely call them.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14757 posts
4245 upvotes
Montréal
There's nothing worse than ppl that take advantage of others in times of tragedy. I wish bad karma upon those ppl. There are good vets but then there are some really crappy and disgusting ones.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
serbianbelle wrote: Blanche123 I still remember being in the animal shelter and looking around and I took Rocky (a name he came with) and put him on the floor, and he walked around and looked at me and brushed against my leg and in general was very pleasant. That's when I decided to take him home with me. My sons and grand kids are animal lovers and enjoy taking care of pets.
Allowing the pet to choose you is wonderful. These days you can't always see the pet or are limited to one pet if you are lucky. We have had both - both ones that picked us and others that we took as a favour - but always with one that had picked us - we had a lot of dogs and cats. We of course did not treat one pet differently from the other. I know I said I didn't want another cat, but I came close. Our former vet clinic used to put kittens and adult cats in a crate in the lobby. One day there was a cat that I was very taken with at the vet's and vs. versa. He was an adult and very affectionate. I was trying to decide what to do as we took our dog to the groomer's behind our vet clinic (same entrance) when the UPS fellow delivered an order and said he and his wife would love the cat. Our vet had a 100% success rate with the cats. The UPS guy was allowed in by the dogs waiting to be seen because he delivered food! The mailman, well it depended.

It sounds as if you really bonded with Rocky and it is great that your sons and grandchildren love pets - then you needn't worry. But time is not on either of our sides in this so maybe you should start looking at cats - but definitely read the fine print and look for major health issues by carefully reading the fine print - and I don't mean the normal health issues, I mean the real deal breakers. If it were any other time I would suggest you start with your vet clinic but now it is an issue. I hope you can find a cat. The new cat will never replace Rocky, but you will have different adventures together.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
299 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 This is the clinic we had taken our cats to for a long time. It was recommended to me by a friend who told me their prices were reasonable. I was using their services for quite a few years. It was only when our last cat had to be euthanized that the cost was beyond expectation. I don't know if the owners of the clinic changed but when I get another kitty I will certainly look for vet services that won't cost as much. They used to call to let me know when our cat was due for a check up and vaccinations.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
299 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123Disappointed But Relieved Face If you have a pet living with you for 12 years, of course you love them and take care of them. It still makes me smile as I recall visiting a neighbour and Rocky was in the garden, he would follow me and try to bring me back into our yard. There were dogs in that house and kitty was worried about me.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
serbianbelle - I love that Rocky was worried about you and the dogs!

It is very possible that your vet clinic was taken over by corporations that own a lot of vet practices. Corporations are (were?) buying up existing vet clinics and imposing their own rules etc. - as in the level of care changed a lot. And you never know when it will happen, but you sure should be able to tell when it does. Not perhaps (hopefully) at the first visit because there could be a lot of people waiting and the vets could be rushed, but by the second or third visit, you would probably be asking the staff - whether or not they would tell you the truth is another matter.

We went to our clinic for 38 years and it is still operated by the same 2 partners (with 2 associate vets). We sure wouldn't have gone to them for 38 years had they not taken such good care of our pets. I do check from time to time though to make certain everyone is still there - including the 2 vet techs and the office manager.

During the pandemic I expect (but what do I know) that takeovers have been reduced or corporations are offering a lot less money for many clinics.

I hope that you are able to find a new kitty. It is just the meeting part that is currently a major issue. Bonding is wonderful and I would hate for you to miss out on that. That isn't to say that you would not bond with a kitty that is "assigned" to you or you go by a picture, but meeting in person helps a lot. I would take a senior dog unseen as recommended by our previous vet though, but it helps that she knows us.

Please let me know if you find a new kitty to love!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6100 posts
2698 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Look at euthanization fee like it was the vet charging you what furnace and hot water rental outfits in Ontario charge for terminating a lease.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10053 posts
2011 upvotes
Victoria
I think I paid around $500 when our cat got cancer 2 years ago. This was at an emergency clinic though. I imagine it might of been a little cheaper had we been using a regular vet? At that point we'd already spend thousands on trying to diagnose him, only to find out he had cancer, sigh..

We now sock away extra money every month for our new cats in case they have crazy vet bills.

The sad thing is pets have access to better health care than people :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7414 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: serbianbelle - I love that Rocky was worried about you and the dogs!

It is very possible that your vet clinic was taken over by corporations that own a lot of vet practices. Corporations are (were?) buying up existing vet clinics and imposing their own rules etc. - as in the level of care changed a lot. And you never know when it will happen, but you sure should be able to tell when it does. Not perhaps (hopefully) at the first visit because there could be a lot of people waiting and the vets could be rushed, but by the second or third visit, you would probably be asking the staff - whether or not they would tell you the truth is another matter.
Earlier this year I learned that my vet's clinic is owned by the people that make Mars Bars. In retrospect, I should have realized something was up when they said they were concerned about my cat's chocolate levels.
Dec 13, 2008
115 posts
60 upvotes
Hamilton
It is always tough to say good bye to your pet that gives you love and affection daily, unquestioned.

I would strongly recommend getting another pet. The new one is not a replacement of course, but will provide comfort and happiness you never expected.

I try to support my local Human Society and offered them a donation on top of their fees for this service. The people working care as much as your vet.

My local Human Society picked up my escaped and lost dog on New Years Eve! I went to them very late that night and found they were closed. As I was about to leave I saw a Society Van returning and followed them. They let me in and I found they had my dog. I was told to come back the next day as they were now closed. A compassionate employee called their Supervisor and and arranged a release. A very joyful New Year ending. Moral is $$$$$ to do not = more caring.

I still donate to them every New Year as a thank you and reminder of my dog that has since passed.

Think about this.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3444 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher - Ha! I got the joke about your cat and his chocolate levels. But I am aware that Mars Candy owns many vet clinics - as do other food companies. People think that I am wrong - I'm not. I am just glad that our vet clinic is/was still independent - well that and excellent.