None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton

cost to fix ac on 1998 lexus gs300

I recently purchased a 1998 lexus gs300 and the seller told me the ac didn't work and it will need a new ac compressor. How much will labour plus parts cost to fix?

I really don't wanna spend more then 300 bucks because i don't value ac at more then that lol
38 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
When the ac compressor died on my 07 Caliber I was quoted $700-800 for parts and labour if I used an aftermarket compressor, and approx $1000 if I had a Dodge OEM part installed.

I initially had to wait as I didn't have those funds at that time, and eventually decided I could survive without it. Then finally last summer I cracked with an unusually hot start to Spring, and after weight pros and cons, I went out and bought a new car rather than repairing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
Wood0209 wrote: When the ac compressor died on my 07 Caliber I was quoted $700-800 for parts and labour if I used an aftermarket compressor, and approx $1000 if I had a Dodge OEM part installed.

I initially had to wait as I didn't have those funds at that time, and eventually decided I could survive without it. Then finally last summer I cracked with an unusually hot start to Spring, and after weight pros and cons, I went out and bought a new car rather than repairing it.
I heard the aftermarket/remanufactured ones don't blow as cold?

I could source a used compressor for around $70 bucks, a recharge will probably be 120, that leaves me with only about 100-200 for labour. If i can find a mechanic that would work for like 40 bucks an hour
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CalgaryExotics wrote: I heard the aftermarket/remanufactured ones don't blow as cold?

I could source a used compressor for around $70 bucks, a recharge will probably be 120, that leaves me with only about 100-200 for labour. If i can find a mechanic that would work for like 40 bucks an hour
good luck with that
Dec 15, 2014
373 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Check the relay first. I thought mine had died on my 08 accord, but it was just a relay
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
LuckBox wrote: Check the relay first. I thought mine had died on my 08 accord, but it was just a relay
The seller told me he took it to the lexus dealer and they told him the compressor needed to be replaced and they quoted him around 1100 or something. However, I looked on the forums and it says if the ac light is blinking the compressor needs to be replaced, however, mine is not blinking. I am now thinking maybe there is a leak, or it needs a recharge?
I really hate putting money into cars, because you never get any of it back..even if i wanted to get it checked out it'd cost be 200 bucks and I just don't wanna pay that.
Dec 9, 2008
423 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Buy the recharge kit from Canadian Tire and try it. My Solara was perfectly fine with this recharge.

Only needed one can I think 12 oz
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2012
1468 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
hmm yeah. I called 2 shop and they want 1100, and 1200 respectively to replace the compressor and get a recharge.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9019 posts
10320 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
CalgaryExotics wrote: I heard the aftermarket/remanufactured ones don't blow as cold?

C'mon man $40 an hour. Try harder maybe you can find one for minimum wage? Those dirty mechanics didn't learn a specialized skill set (that you need) to get paid decently. I'm sure when they hear you just can't deal with the hardship of no ac for your Lexus they will cut you a break.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6302 posts
3361 upvotes
Mississauga
It's an almost 20 year-old car. Why?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29220 posts
14993 upvotes
Toronto
I thought Lexus is virtually indestructible
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
booblehead wrote: I thought Lexus is virtually indestructible
Still starts and drives :p
Thats what defines reliability
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Your average tradesman wont get out of bed for less than 30/hour. Mechanics have 1000s of dollars in tools and a shop as overhead. The cheapest mechanic will start at 60/hour. That being said, because it isnt a safety item im sure you could find a mechanic on kijiji that will do a cash job. There will be no warranty or guarantee of work however
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
The car has run its course...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6807 upvotes
Brampton
The 98 GS300 was a Sexy looking car. I would consider getting it fixed assuming the rest of it is in good condition.

Be Prepared to shell $800. However I would get the RedTek kit from Canadian tire and see if it runs once recharged it means the compressor is ok but there's a leak (Don't chase the leak) I've seen more times than not people blame the compressor but really the LPS detects low pressure and shuts off the compressor.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1696 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
The mechanic who comes to my place to fix my cars charges $55 an hr. If youre interested then let me know and i will give you his contact. He is in calgary though.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
masarwar wrote: The mechanic who comes to my place to fix my cars charges $55 an hr. If youre interested then let me know and i will give you his contact. He is in calgary though.
Is that his personal rate for you for using your garage, tools etc? I would imagine there would be some limitation as to the work he could do without the equipment found in a mechanic's garage. Most mechanics are not mobile and will have significant overhead expenses.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1696 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
Wood0209 wrote: Is that his personal rate for you for using your garage, tools etc? I would imagine there would be some limitation as to the work he could do without the equipment found in a mechanic's garage. Most mechanics are not mobile and will have significant overhead expenses.
Hi,

I dont have a garage as i live in a basement apartment. He is happy to work for me on the driveway or like the time before that on a street as my slave cylinder had stopped working. He did say that for work that requires a lift out of the vehicle multiple times he would have me come to a shop that he hires by the hour and charges $55+$20 (for the shop) which i think is still pretty reasonable. I had him come by do a front struts change (left and right), all 4 disc brakes and rotors and the total labour was $175.