cost to install shower head ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 4:13 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes

cost to install shower head ?

so i just bought a place but oddly, one of the bathrooms have a bathtub, but no shower head (there is a separate shower, though). i prefer to take showers in the bathtub as it's more spacious; how much would it cost , on average , to hire a someone to break a hole and put in a shower head?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9941 posts
5233 upvotes
Paris
joyceetal wrote: so i just bought a place but oddly, one of the bathrooms have a bathtub, but no shower head (there is a separate shower, though). i prefer to take showers in the bathtub as it's more spacious; how much would it cost , on average , to hire a someone to break a hole and put in a shower head?
Tile or plastic tub surround? You would probably need to retile the whole tub surround.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4805 posts
715 upvotes
Burlington
Prob more than just a hole as you need a pipe from the handle to the head. Usually it's the builder tub where they skimp on the shower head...my bathroom was the same and we added a head when we did a reno even though we never use it.
Nov 21, 2016
3 posts
2 upvotes
What kind of access from the opposite side of the wall behind where the shower head will go?

If it’s just a basic wall with drywall up it would more than likely be easier to open up the drywall there and patch and paint that Vs pulling down tile or a tub surround

Cost shouldn’t be tooo badly, plumber with easy access should be in and out in an hour, 2 at most, and drywall isn’t expensive if you can do it yourself
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes
fordh8ter wrote: What kind of access from the opposite side of the wall behind where the shower head will go?

If it’s just a basic wall with drywall up it would more than likely be easier to open up the drywall there and patch and paint that Vs pulling down tile or a tub surround

Cost shouldn’t be tooo badly, plumber with easy access should be in and out in an hour, 2 at most, and drywall isn’t expensive if you can do it yourself
opposite side might be tricky as it's a closet and there's a pillar in the corner ...it's drywall
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes
Tha_Doggg wrote: Prob more than just a hole as you need a pipe from the handle to the head. Usually it's the builder tub where they skimp on the shower head...my bathroom was the same and we added a head when we did a reno even though we never use it.
quite annoying ..ah well
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5171 posts
2589 upvotes
Assuming your tub valve can accommodate a shower head you could have a slide bar shower head with wall 90 installed . This will broaden you options for access and cause less damage as you can essentially install the wall 90 (where the hose attaches in any location) so long as it reaches the slide bar. (The slide bar is installed wherever you want)

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6601 posts
2182 upvotes
GTA
joyceetal wrote: opposite side might be tricky as it's a closet and there's a pillar in the corner ...it's drywall
A closet is often ideal to work in-drywall repairs after aren't held to same standards as a bedroom wall. The "pillar in corner" probably contains a vent pipe going to roof?....unless that corner is lined up with the shower it won't matter