Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
185 posts
47 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

The cost of owning Audi, bmw, and benz?

So I was thinking of purchasing a used Audi A4. Since is so much cheaper to buy a used than buying a brand new car. I found one with a low mileage on it and is in pretty damn good condition. I want to buy one mainly because of its badge. Than I ask myself this question. Is it better to buy used Audi A4 or buy fully loaded vehicle for around the same price instead? Another question that also came to my mind was, is it true that the cost of owning an Audi, bmw, and Benz is more expensive than other cars lets says in compact sedan segment like corolloa, Camry, civic, fusion, mazda, Jetta, etc...

Since I would love to drive one of those cars, but at the same time I don't want to spend more money on owning one of those cars. Example high maintenance cost, high insurance, repairing cost, etc... But if its the case where is around the same price in comparison to the cars I listed above than I don't really mind owning it at all actually.

For those that driven or owned Audi, BMW, or Benz. I would love to hear your personal experience. Would really help with my decision.
16 replies
Apr 25, 2007
992 posts
95 upvotes
Markham
Luxurious (German) cars, it's more expensive to maintain than Japanese cars.

If you're not keen on it, I suggest you to look at other vehicles
RFD makes me poor =(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9968 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you only want a German because of the badge, I'd suggest looking at something else.

I own a German car and an old one at that (1999 A4) and while it doesn't have high mileage (around 150k), I won't lie it has cost me maintenance in the 6 years I've owned it (I got it around 70k 7 years ago); I've spent roughly $4000 in repairs and maintenance since owning it. I will however note that many items in the maintenance schedule tended to be longer lasting than my Nissan despite being more expensive so some of those balanced out (things like fluid flushes and whatnot). However, in the grand scheme of things I don't believe it's many times more expensive than others, especially non-Japanese cars. My friends who drive domestics (American) have spent similar amounts of money on cars and they're much younger than mine.

So short answer, yes it's more expensive. My notice is that it's more expensive in "bursts" whereas when I had my Japanese car, it was small amounts here and there that added up. How much more depends on how well you maintain and drive it. Like I said in the first sentence, if you only want the badge, you'll be disappointed;
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance is not higher. The cost of vehicle or repair cost doesn't affect the insurance so much. I did cross shop for various models from BMW and the least expensive to insure was 128 convertible but I ended up with 328i RWD. Both my vehicle's insurance cost is lower than previous Japanese vehicles. Reasons for this is better safety features on these vehicles (or luxury brands in general).

With these vehicles getting older, it's important to do some homework and understand common areas of issues. As long as engine and transmission stays healthy, most vehicles will last for a while and other stuff is minor in cost of repair, if needed.
Mar 11, 2007
179 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
U can go to each brand dealer website to see the service costs.

They list everything there. At least u can get a feeling. Of course u can get the jobs done elsewhere.
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
I wouldn't unless you can do your own work.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3560 posts
1798 upvotes
Mississauga
The biggest mistake you can make is buying a car for the badge. If it's of luxuary you want... Test drive a Q50, TLX... who knows you may like Em.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3113 posts
606 upvotes
Badges can be had on eBay for $10 or less. Buy yourself an Audi, bmw, and mercedes badge, stick it on your beige Corolla, and you're golden.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, they are not as reliable as Japanese cars though amongst the various older models, there were periods when reliability wasn't too shabby.

I say drive whatever your heart fancies really. Yes there may be more maintenance costs but you know this going in.

Having a trusted private mechanic who may also get good deal on parts or purchasing your own parts from Rockauto etc is good idea.

Euro cars may not be the most reliable but they have their attraction as exemplified by the number of people who buy them.

Some of these people possibly are not aware of reliablity issues(not really a problem on brand new cars with warranty) or don't care because that is the car they wish to drive.

Look for good deal on a low mileage car and drive it.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
Someone here hit the nail on the head a while back. German cars cost you more for little crap that you didn't figure would cost a lot. The glass alone for the side mirror on my car is $500, and that is more than the brake master cylinder.

You can't really buy an A4 for its badge either. Nobody cares about the car because is has been whored out for years on cheap leases so any fool can get one. Even the S4 is becoming like that. Either you can appreciate that you can hear a candy being unwarapped in the back seat while you are on the highway because the car is so quiet or not. If you can't, why bother?

It's like the d-bag at work with a new 335i. Thinks he cool and he makes half the money I do. Too many people do that and you'll get branded as being a d-bag for grabbing the low hanging fruit of luxury cars. You want respect, drive the next class up. They are truly a better car in all brands when you go to that category.

Driving a car to impress someone is the beginning of the end. What's next? A house you can barely afford?

And yes, care of the car is going to be a bit more expensive. But people like me pay for it because we like the environment inside the car and the precision of using such a vehicle. If I was cash strapped, a German car is a dumb idea, but so is a brand new Mazda 3 at that point.

Either actually like it, or leave it alone.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
AudiDude wrote: Someone here hit the nail on the head a while back. German cars cost you more for little crap that you didn't figure would cost a lot. The glass alone for the side mirror on my car is $500, and that is more than the brake master cylinder.

You can't really buy an A4 for its badge either. Nobody cares about the car because is has been whored out for years on cheap leases so any fool can get one. Even the S4 is becoming like that. Either you can appreciate that you can hear a candy being unwarapped in the back seat while you are on the highway because the car is so quiet or not. If you can't, why bother?

It's like the d-bag at work with a new 335i. Thinks he cool and he makes half the money I do. Too many people do that and you'll get branded as being a d-bag for grabbing the low hanging fruit of luxury cars. You want respect, drive the next class up. They are truly a better car in all brands when you go to that category.

Driving a car to impress someone is the beginning of the end. What's next? A house you can barely afford?

And yes, care of the car is going to be a bit more expensive. But people like me pay for it because we like the environment inside the car and the precision of using such a vehicle. If I was cash strapped, a German car is a dumb idea, but so is a brand new Mazda 3 at that point.

Either actually like it, or leave it alone.
He's a dbag cuz he drives a 335? LOL. Anyway, it's not exactly the entry-level trim.

Anyway, to OP, I didn't find it much more expensive. It really depends on the cars involved. If you really have to generalize, it's only slightly more expensive but the ride/handling is much better.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22336 posts
2980 upvotes
Worth it...

Some Japan cars are also expensive as heck to own / maintain too you know!!
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
Personally, I wouldn't buy a car just for its badge. If I am really rich and have lots of money to spend than yes sure I'd get something to please myself. I'd never buy something to impress others.

It's your life, your money, do whatever you want. If you are at a stage in your life where you let other dictate how you spend your money, then go with it. Be that guy. Get that luxury car, deal with the high maintenance costs, feel the novelty of owning a car that will impress others.

Maintenance costs, frequent repairs on German luxury will definitely be a lot higher than a Corolla.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Spyd3r wrote: Personally, I wouldn't buy a car just for its badge.
Truth. If you like the car and it happens to be Brand X, that's fine. If one only chases the Brand, then one is just a poser.
Feb 3, 2015
122 posts
29 upvotes
Windsor, ON
It also depends on what kind of condition car you want to drive.

If you want to do bare minimum and have a car that starts up and drives if will cost less to maintain than a car that drives like a brand new car.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
185 posts
47 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Thanks for the replied guys. Alot of great pts. I'll keep that in mind when purchasing my next car.