• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2021 8:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2014
89 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Cost to repair fence

My fence is pretty old. Seems cost to get a new one is crazy high these days (at least in GTA). So, thinking of getting it repaired. I have a 3-5 posts that are leaning and would probably need to be replaced. Some lattice is damaged and would have to be replaced. How much should I budget to do this? (e.g. X$ per post replacement and X$ per lattice replacement?)

Thanks a lot.
19 replies
Sep 28, 2012
107 posts
194 upvotes
It's not a big job. Are you able to try do the work yourself? If you do the labor, materials are not expensive (post+ concrete, etc).

I did a similar job last year and it wasn't hard. I just needed help to re-attach the sections after replacing the posts.

I used a reciprocating saw to remove the existing sections (cut thru the nails) and then a farm jack, this exact one that sells
for $54 - https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-ton-3 ... 0008760647 to remove the posts. You can
find videos in youtube for how to use.

I found my old posts were set at 2 ft, so I had to do some digging. but otherwise you can reuse the holes

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/anvil- ... 1000125927
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/garant ... 1001026204
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1888 posts
1607 upvotes
GTA
If you can just put some metal reinforcement into the ground for each post it will be cheap and get you through another few years.

If the posts come out easily you can probably get new posts for $150-200 a post, and then lattice would just be a minimum charge of whatever they feel like.

If the concrete bases are a pita to get out, you may have to decide between paying for labour to remove the concrete vs relocating the posts and paying for adjusting the length of each panel.
May 9, 2014
166 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sounds like it’s a small job so you’re better off getting a handyman then a fence/deck company. I’d suggest looking for handymen.

However if I were you I’d probably bite the bullet and just replace the whole thing.
forsaken11 wrote: My fence is pretty old. Seems cost to get a new one is crazy high these days (at least in GTA). So, thinking of getting it repaired. I have a 3-5 posts that are leaning and would probably need to be replaced. Some lattice is damaged and would have to be replaced. How much should I budget to do this? (e.g. X$ per post replacement and X$ per lattice replacement?)

Thanks a lot.
Jan 22, 2012
613 posts
238 upvotes
Bradford
Martyji wrote: Sounds like it’s a small job so you’re better off getting a handyman then a fence/deck company. I’d suggest looking for handymen.

However if I were you I’d probably bite the bullet and just replace the whole thing.
Given the price of pressure treated lumber, Replacing won’t be cheap!
[OP]
Dec 25, 2014
89 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone. I am being quoted $350 per post, and it seems like we will have to replace 2-3 posts. Is this a fair price?

The posts are in pretty bad shape and the fence is leaning heavily (it's separating my backyard with my neighbors and I don't want it falling). I am a total novice in this and hence, looking to get it done right.

Thanks again for all the inputs.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1291 posts
1215 upvotes
ON
I paid $500 cash to have two posts replaced and some damaged fence repaired. This was couple of years back.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto
The posts have degraded below the ground. As others have said, you need to replace the whole thing because the other posts are mostly degraded as well. Contractors will charge you a higher price per post because it's a small job to just replace a few posts and one section vs. replacing the whole thing. More economical would be to shore up the damaged posts with post menders like this: LINK, if the ground underneath is sound.

These post menders aren't perfect, aren't meant to be permanent and you may have to hammer them back in each year or add some soil to make the ground solid, but you can DIY for about $40 per post, until you have the budget to replace the entire fence and lumber prices go back to normal.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2014
89 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Holystone wrote: I paid $500 cash to have two posts replaced and some damaged fence repaired. This was couple of years back.
Seems I should get more quotes given I am being told $350 per post now in the GTA. Thanks for sharing your datapoint.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3248 posts
1803 upvotes
Mississauga
My neighbour found someone last year (October) for $200 per post to replace all the posts in his backyard. Our backyards share 4 spots so I split 50% with him for my side ($100 per post was my cost).Old posts were about 2-3ft so the cost involved digging to 4ft and disposal of the old posts.

This was the company
https://www.cottagecountrystone.com/fences
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1888 posts
1607 upvotes
GTA
forsaken11 wrote: Seems I should get more quotes given I am being told $350 per post now in the GTA. Thanks for sharing your datapoint.
About 5 years ago I paid $200 per post, and $100 of that was material cost.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2014
89 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bubuski wrote: My neighbour found someone last year (October) for $200 per post to replace all the posts in his backyard. Our backyards share 4 spots so I split 50% with him for my side ($100 per post was my cost).Old posts were about 2-3ft so the cost involved digging to 4ft and disposal of the old posts.

This was the company
https://www.cottagecountrystone.com/fences
Thanks a lot. I called them today and was quoted a reasonable price. Overall, were you satisfied with the quality of the work? I am thinking I will go with them, unless you tell me not to :)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3248 posts
1803 upvotes
Mississauga
forsaken11 wrote: Thanks a lot. I called them today and was quoted a reasonable price. Overall, were you satisfied with the quality of the work? I am thinking I will go with them, unless you tell me not to :)
For sure go with them.

My neighbor mentioned he was referred by a friend and I am happy with the quality of work that was done. The fence was worked on daily and and work area cleaned up after the work was done. Old wood, old concrete and tree branches that were leaning on the old fence were all taken away for disposal.
Aug 29, 2019
955 posts
433 upvotes
av10000 wrote: It's not a big job.
Slightly Frowning Face I thought it was a huge job. Digging out concrete is not fun, even with a jack.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23666 posts
12874 upvotes
Toronto
Lumber prices are nuts these days. It has been a long time since I built a fence but I still vividly recall paying a premium to get posts put in because there were a lot of buried services along the fence line of the corner lot. I had 15 posts put in, 12 requiring manual digging. Total cost was $500 cash deal which included material and labor.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Remember to use hot dip galvanized nails/screws/bolts if u choose pressure-treated lumber.
Jan 22, 2012
613 posts
238 upvotes
Bradford
When is it safe to install posts/sonotubes in southern Ontario? April?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1475 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
I paid $75 per post last year to have 3 of mine replaced.

I built all the fence myself originally, but I dont want to replace the poles myself. It is not difficult but it is hard work.

Digging a fresh hole by hand is already hard enough, digging up old concrete without messing up the hole is not fun. If you dont know what you are doing and you loosen all the soil around the hole you are going to have a big problem.

Having said that for sure I wont pay $350 per post.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4957 posts
4534 upvotes
GTA
csi123 wrote: I paid $75 per post last year to have 3 of mine replaced.

I built all the fence myself originally, but I dont want to replace the poles myself. It is not difficult but it is hard work.

Digging a fresh hole by hand is already hard enough, digging up old concrete without messing up the hole is not fun. If you dont know what you are doing and you loosen all the soil around the hole you are going to have a big problem.

Having said that for sure I wont pay $350 per post.
Loosen the soil around the hole? Didn't they build Dubai on sand? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1475 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
Tommy74 wrote: Loosen the soil around the hole? Didn't they build Dubai on sand? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
:-) pretty sure they dont have to worry about frost line.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)