• May 28th, 2019 7:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes

Cost To Repair One Leaking Water Shutoff Valve And One Burst Pipe

The pipe outdoor burst due to trickling from the leaking valve. How much should I expect for the repair? Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35254 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
Where did it exactly burst?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
britelzg wrote: The pipe outdoor burst due to trickling from the leaking valve. How much should I expect for the repair? Thanks
It really depends on what is involved in fixing it. Does the plumber need to remove drywall? Hard to access? Copper or PEX? The only person that can give you an accurate quote is a plumber who looks at the job. Get a few quotes and pick the person you like best.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
I'll take a stab at it with your terribly vague description without location.

From what you are saying, the pipe that supplies water to your home ruptured and it was because the shut off value on your lawn was leaking. You found this out because your front yard was flooded. In the GTA, you are looking at about $2500 for nominal 3/4", just as well to upgrade to full 1" if this is the case, it's sub $500. So say about $3000 to torpedo a new run from the city side to your water meter.

Anything inside the home is much less. If it is inside the home, do your own math. 1" is about $10/linear foot. Say $2 cheaper for 3/4". Find out where the leak is, the cost for a new ball valve is about $20. If you have to remove any drywall, that's about $15/sheet, excluding primer/paint/tap/mud. And the magic of labour, say a plumber is about $50/hour, but because they need to bust open holes, ect... say about $75/hr. Next is can they shut off the water or does the city have to do it? GTA costs money to shut off the city side, about a $100. So do some more math.

If this is on the city side, you're ok.

lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
I will send some pictures. Everything is exposed. I am thinking of DIY
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
It’s Toronto . The shutoff valve is in basement. That controls the pipe to a exterior faucet in backyard. There’s a burst in the section outside the wall.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
So this is a 60min DYI job for a newbie is what you are saying.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
Here are the pictures. The valve has been leaking for a few years. I should have repaired it before the pipe burst
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35254 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
britelzg wrote: Here are the pictures. The valve has been leaking for a few years. I should have repaired it before the pipe burst
The pipe is accessible from the outside...easy peasy!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3159 posts
523 upvotes
North Etobicoke
britelzg wrote: Here are the pictures. The valve has been leaking for a few years. I should have repaired it before the pipe burst
Unless you are very old or have arthritic fingers (or really busy and rich) now is a great time to learn how to do it yourself. It nice out and you already have a shut off valve. Watch some videos on youtube cut the part off and take to Home Depot. If you cannot fix after the third try. Call a plumber.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Does that shutoff valve have a waste bleeder?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Dec 18, 2017
302 posts
41 upvotes
Leaking ONLY when you try to open the tap or leaking even when closed as it is?
If leaking only when turning on, look out for a small knob. Mostly in winter if we forget to take all water by opening that knob, possible that bursts out and need to change whole tap
[OP]
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
It doesn’t have a small knob. Is that called bleeder? The water is still trickling no matter how tight I shut it off.
So the repairing is to take apart the valve and replace the seal? I know nothing about plumbing
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
britelzg wrote: It doesn’t have a small knob. Is that called bleeder? The water is still trickling no matter how tight I shut it off.
So the repairing is to take apart the valve and replace the seal? I know nothing about plumbing
That shutoff that is inside that controls the outdoor hosebib requires a bleeder valve in order to drain the line properly so that water isn’t sitting in the pipe, causing a burst when it freezes.
The only time an interior shutoff for an outdoor hose connection does not require a bleeder is for a “non freeze” hosebib. I typically install one anyway.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide