Cost to replace door and door frame

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 12:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
77 posts
16 upvotes

Cost to replace door and door frame

Had an incident. Some a-hole tried to break in. Didn't think anyone was home and took off when he realized he was wrong. The door, lock, and frame are mostly fine. Small cracks around the screw holes of the door plate. But if it was more severe, if I had to replace the door and door frame, how much would I be looking at?

What really bugs me had I confronted him and I stabbed or cut him cops would probably charge me and I still have to pay to fix my own door.
Putting that aside how much would a new door and door frame set me back?
Thanks
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10068 posts
5327 upvotes
Paris
daydreamer7 wrote: Had an incident. Some a-hole tried to break in. Didn't think anyone was home and took off when he realized he was wrong. The door, lock, and frame are mostly fine. Small cracks around the screw holes of the door plate. But if it was more severe, if I had to replace the door and door frame, how much would I be looking at?

What really bugs me had I confronted him and I stabbed or cut him cops would probably charge me and I still have to pay to fix my own door.
Putting that aside how much would a new door and door frame set me back?
Thanks
If it’s a single door I’d go Dorplex and it will be about $3300 installed plus tax. Add $2000 for each sidelite or rectangular transom.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
77 posts
16 upvotes
Jerico wrote: If it’s a single door I’d go Dorplex and it will be about $3300 installed plus tax. Add $2000 for each sidelite or rectangular transom.
Serious? $3300 for door and frame. And another few hundred for a lock. There should be laws for cost recuperation from criminals. Thanks.
Sep 1, 2014
491 posts
168 upvotes
Calgary
Insurance and pay the deductible
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16734 posts
6965 upvotes
daydreamer7 wrote: Serious? $3300 for door and frame. And another few hundred for a lock. There should be laws for cost recuperation from criminals. Thanks.
There are different grades of doors and you can find them for much cheaper. As expected, the quality of the door itself should be lower if you are paying 1/3 the price. You could find a basic steel door, installed, for $1000 or less with the frame and everything.

For example you can get an exterior door for $250: https://www.rona.ca/en/door-ph36lh-4-9-energy-star
(and yes you can get cheaper)

Edit: I would assume you could sue the criminals for the damage but being they are criminals they likely have nothing to repay you with. Can't really garnish their pawn shop and black market sale of stolen goods, which is their source of income.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10068 posts
5327 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: There are different grades of doors and you can find them for much cheaper. As expected, the quality of the door itself should be lower if you are paying 1/3 the price. You could find a basic steel door, installed, for $1000 or less with the frame and everything.

For example you can get an exterior door for $250: https://www.rona.ca/en/door-ph36lh-4-9-energy-star
(and yes you can get cheaper)
You wont find many dedicate window/door shops to even do that POS under $1000. Handyman maybe.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
77 posts
16 upvotes
I got a couple of questions that I'm sure will be dumb to some of you. Here goes anyway.

1. When you buy a door, does it come with a frame or is the frame a separate purchase? Just exploring my possible "what if" situations. If I need a set and it comes in a set great. If the frame survived can I just buy the door?

2. By any chance can this be a DIY watch a youtube video kind a thing or does replacing the frame require more advance contractor knowledge?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1032 posts
589 upvotes
London, On
Doors can be bought as just the door, or as a pre-hung kit. Whether you want to remove an entire door frame and replace it yourself depends on your DIY skill level. I might watch a youtube about it and say screw it, and call a door company, and you might watch it and pick up on it and figure it out as you go.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16734 posts
6965 upvotes
Jerico wrote: You wont find many dedicate window/door shops to even do that POS under $1000. Handyman maybe.
When you buy from a big box store they are affiliated with contractors to do this work and the big box store will back the work. It doesn't make a crappy door good, but you'll find big box stores doing the install for well under $1000. Around here you can get a simple pre-hung door installed for around $500-$750 via the big box stores.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10068 posts
5327 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: When you buy from a big box store they are affiliated with contractors to do this work and the big box store will back the work. It doesn't make a crappy door good, but you'll find big box stores doing the install for well under $1000. Around here you can get a simple pre-hung door installed for around $500-$750 via the big box stores.
As someone who has done work for big box stores, no box store out here will install that door because no contractor will touch them anymore.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10068 posts
5327 upvotes
Paris
daydreamer7 wrote: I got a couple of questions that I'm sure will be dumb to some of you. Here goes anyway.

1. When you buy a door, does it come with a frame or is the frame a separate purchase? Just exploring my possible "what if" situations. If I need a set and it comes in a set great. If the frame survived can I just buy the door?

2. By any chance can this be a DIY watch a youtube video kind a thing or does replacing the frame require more advance contractor knowledge?

Thanks
Doors come with the frame. I wouldnt personally touch a door in a big box store, I would special order one. Its not an impossible DIY. You are paying the pro for the last 20% of the installation... anyone can easily DIY something to 80%. You are also paying to have someone to call if it doesnt work right.

Personally, I hate installing doors. They are finicky. I do them sometimes for friends etc but only back doors, side doors, etc. The difference between me and the guys who do it everyday is the sealant lines, and knowing what to do if something just doesnt work out quite right.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11643 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
We got a new door and frame, the frame comes with a small window on top.
We paid under $2000 for 1 door including the frame, all included, ours aren't double door.

We hired a door and windows contractor not using the contractor from the big store. Lowes, Home Depot, etc.....

Price varies with the style of the window insert, etc...

If you are not a contractor yourself and never done one, I will suggest to pay a pro to get it done.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015