• Aug 22nd, 2022 4:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga

Cost for Safety Standard Certificate in Ontario

Does anyone know roughly how much they cost. Please recommend a shop too(west of Toronto) that is not CanadianTire.

I bought an out of province vehicle from Alberta and need to get a safety certificate to register it in Ontario. The car passed Alberta safety test at a Dealership.

The last time I did one was in 2009 and it cost about $60. I googled and found a shop in Brampton that charges $49.99 but I'm cautious as it is unusual for the cost of services to get cheaper, things usually get more expensive as the years go by. I just need a reputable shop that won't make up a list of things that need to be fixed
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
In 2016, the Ministry of Transportation introduced a more comprehensive set of vehicle safety standards in Ontario. There are more things to inspect, so it takes shops longer to do them and must charge more accordingly.

I had one done in 2017 at NAPA Auto Pro, and it was $125+tax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
derass wrote: In 2016, the Ministry of Transportation introduced a more comprehensive set of vehicle safety standards in Ontario. There are more things to inspect, so it takes shops longer to do them and must charge more accordingly.

I had one done in 2017 at NAPA Auto Pro, and it was $125+tax.
Thanks. Did you use a NAPA Auto Pro on the west end? They are franchised so I imagine service may vary.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
I used the one in Brampton at Dixie & North Park. I was happy with the service. I dropped in randomly on a weekday, and they squeezed me in before the end of the day.

I knew the car was in good condition, and they didn't try to upsell me on any repairs. I'd say that was pretty honest of them considering they had no previous relationship with me.
Jul 24, 2010
446 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
I had one done by Nello's Auto in Woodbridge in 2019 for $125. They didn't ask for any repairs or any shenanigans. Good experience.

Had another at Tess Auto in west end Toronto back in Dec 2016. It was $80. Also no repairs or shenanigans.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
derass wrote: I used the one in Brampton at Dixie & North Park. I was happy with the service. I dropped in randomly on a weekday, and they squeezed me in before the end of the day.

I knew the car was in good condition, and they didn't try to upsell me on any repairs. I'd say that was pretty honest of them considering they had no previous relationship with me.
That is the kind of experience I'm aiming for as I'l like to get the car fully registered before the long weekend. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
beaverdonut wrote: I had one done by Nello's Auto in Woodbridge in 2019 for $125. They didn't ask for any repairs or any shenanigans. Good experience.

Had another at Tess Auto in west end Toronto back in Dec 2016. It was $80. Also no repairs or shenanigans.
Both seems a bit of a drive for me. Thanks for the suggestion through.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2990 posts
1328 upvotes
GTA
If you don't like what a shop finds, you can always take it to another.....
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1172 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
I think shops are more likely to find things if you're selling, than if you bought the car already, because of liability. So, you could always play the "I bought this car and know what I'm doing card" and they may not be as thorough in their inspection.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7858 posts
4655 upvotes
West GTEH!
Most places will charge 1 hour Labour for a Safety Certificate.
😎
Nov 25, 2010
94 posts
91 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Paid $120 recently.

Prices ranged from $80-$150 when I called a couple of places.

I find this really stupid. Price should be standard across the board
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7858 posts
4655 upvotes
West GTEH!
lol_face3 wrote: Paid $120 recently.

Stupid? maybe. Every place has their own Hourly Labour rates, which varies.
😎
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56450 posts
21456 upvotes
Have shops raised their prices for safety inspection?

May need one done but not sure how much typical reputable shops charge now and how much a Toyota dealership will charge.
Apr 22, 2018
82 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Have shops raised their prices for safety inspection?
Was quoted 120, shop around Barrie, 2-3 weeks ago. Called on a Thu, programmed for Tu. Did not go, it was a prospective call, pending buying used car.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1450 posts
2099 upvotes
Toronto
lol_face3 wrote: Paid $120 recently.

Why? Is every car the same requiring the same inspection and time? Does a dealer in Timmins have the same costs as one in downtown Toronto?

Is the price for a can of coke the same everywhere?
Jun 8, 2022
75 posts
79 upvotes
Vaughan
bubuski wrote: Does anyone know roughly how much they cost. Please recommend a shop too(west of Toronto) that is not CanadianTire.

I bought an out of province vehicle from Alberta and need to get a safety certificate to register it in Ontario. The car passed Alberta safety test at a Dealership.

The last time I did one was in 2009 and it cost about $60. I googled and found a shop in Brampton that charges $49.99 but I'm cautious as it is unusual for the cost of services to get cheaper, things usually get more expensive as the years go by. I just need a reputable shop that won't make up a list of things that need to be fixed
See this thread, any of these should be able to do safety inspection.

Your text to link here...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3987 posts
3204 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What exactly goes on during a satefy test? Do they take the wheels off for brake check, or is it only visual inspection? I have to take my car for safety and need to know beforehand what to expect.
Jan 4, 2019
798 posts
869 upvotes
Just had it done. $120 for a standard car. Trucks were $150 if I recall correctly. Pretty standard prices when I called around from small shops to dealerships. Just went with whatever one got me in sooner since they were the same price. If anyone tries to charge more just go elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
Since my old thread got resurrected twice in the last 2 months, here is my update

Back in 2020 I used a place called ‘905 Auto care’ in Brampton. They have pretty good reviews on Google and Facebook, they charged $80+tax for the safety.
Dec 22, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
From recollection of having worked at a garage and getting my own vehicles certified (but could be more):

- tires must have sufficient tread; must not be damaged; is properly inflated
- brakes must have sufficient pad; must operate
- emergency brake must operate
- windows (no cracks)
- no (rust) holes through cabin such that exhaust could get in
- wipers must wipe clear; crazy example: if you have a leaf under the blade that causes it leave a streak, it will fail, so do the simple prep work yourself
- all lights and signals must operate
- speedometer must operate

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)