• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 9:53 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
351 posts
176 upvotes

Cost of shocks/struts replacement?

How much is this repair including parts and labour? If it matters, I have a 2012 Civic.

Also, what brand is the best?
22 replies
Oct 3, 2017
952 posts
786 upvotes
Most independents these days use quick struts. Monroe and KYB are 2 brands I was looking at when I thought about changing mine.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
Rock Auto for parts, likely an hour per corner for labour is what places will quote.

You'll also need an alignment.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2535 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
Ummm your 2012 already need replace?
I am curious cuz I have 2013 so I need to prepare myself @.@
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1480 posts
1783 upvotes
Barrie, ON
killer007 wrote: Ummm your 2012 already need replace?
It's an 8 year old car with unknown mileage, you're surprised that it needs shocks/struts?
Jun 13, 2015
150 posts
69 upvotes
L'Assomption
Did you get them checked before? I have the same car with 190k km and only had to replace a loose ball joint and an alignment. Wasn’t told I needed to change anything else.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2535 posts
307 upvotes
Mississauga
mxthor3 wrote: It's an 8 year old car with unknown mileage, you're surprised that it needs shocks/struts?
Yeah cuz mine it's 2013 and has 140k km on it
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1480 posts
1783 upvotes
Barrie, ON
killer007 wrote: Yeah cuz mine it's 2013 and has 140k km on it
You're probably due in the very near future :)
Aug 30, 2020
872 posts
1297 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Depends on the roads you drive on and how wreckless you take entering / exiting plazas and speed bumps. I don't believe in "shocks need to be done at X KM / X age". Shocks are worn like brakes and tires, not necessarily by age like coolant / engine oil / belts / filters / spark plugs. My 2013 is nearing 160k km on original front brake pads because I don't accelerate towards red lights, gradually brake instead, and always try to coast to a stop when I can. My shocks also don't leak at all and car is stiff as the first day, because I always slow down for speed bumps and entering / exiting plazas. Also depends on how loaded your car is (Passengers or items) on a regular basis.
Last edited by CanadianConsumerYEG on Nov 1st, 2020 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35177 posts
4321 upvotes
Winnipeg
changed in my 2003 civic over a year ago, at that time it had around 180kkm.
Nov 14, 2007
359 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Around $1,000 plus wheel alignment
I replaced them with KYB at 310, 000KM (2012 Civic)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5587 posts
3158 upvotes
Ottawa
The vast majority people don't replace their shocks and struts as early as they "should" but since the car still performs okay, there isn't really a need to do so. I recently sold a 2008 SRX and a 2012 Cruze with 240k and 170k kms on original shocks and struts but if I had been keeping them, the SRX would have gotten new ones pronto. Good front struts will set the OP back a couple hundred a side for the parts and the rears will be substantially cheaper. I personally would avoid Monroe - the ones I've used in the past have been garbage and so I lean toward OEM. I have no idea how much labour is involved on a Civic but the cars I've done it's maybe 30 minutes for the rears and one to two hours for each of the fronts - depending on FWD, AWD, or RWD. And then you have to get a four wheel alignment. So, it's not cheap - perhaps explaining why people don't get this work done unless they really have to.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
351 posts
176 upvotes
I don't know what the expected timeline is for replacement. I am not the original owner, and the car now has nearly 104,000 km. It appears that they are worn out based on my own observation while driving and from inspecting them. I don't think it's urgent, but it's definitely a job coming up in the next 6 months or so.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5587 posts
3158 upvotes
Ottawa
KhetysTeachings wrote: I don't know what the expected timeline is for replacement. I am not the original owner, and the car now has nearly 104,000 km. It appears that they are worn out based on my own observation while driving and from inspecting them. I don't think it's urgent, but it's definitely a job coming up in the next 6 months or so.
Good on you for being in tune with your car's ride. In my experience, shocks and springs can start to show their age as early as the 80,000 kms point but if the car is driven very gently, they can work as new for a good deal longer. Bumpy roads, aggressive turning and braking will worsen things and if a shock starts to wear, so will the spring. And if these go, so can ball joints and bushings and tie rod ends and...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3911 posts
3082 upvotes
Ottawa
The front set is usually easier to work on than the rear and the front often needs replacement first.

KYB or Monroe are usually used by OEMs, Monroe rides a little softer than KYB, depending on the original manufacturer.

Labour wise, about 1 hr per side. Parts and labour from a shop can run quite high, I got a quote for $1400 (just front struts and alignment) from a local reputable general repair indie shop (not dedicated suspension shop) in Ottawa so I got it done in the US.

I replaced the front struts in my 2007 Camry in 2016 when I found a broken coil spring while doing an oil change at 113K. Got KYB Strut-Plus set from Rock Auto for $200/each, 3 hrs labour total (including sway bar links and outer tie rod ends as preventative maintenance) and $100 alignment. I wasn't familiar with the work so got it done at a shop. KYB drives a little stiffer than the original OEM for me but I like it with better handling. My car is 206K now.

When the left side started leaking oil 3 years later in 2019, got a replacement from Rock Auto and replaced it myself. I paid for the new one and shipping back ($40-$50) of the defective part and Rockauto reimbursed me for the full cost (including shipping) of the new one.

Found the broken front springs on the 2008 Avalon last year at 108K and ordered both front KYB sets from RA for $400 and installed them myself along with sway bar links in about 3 hours. I did not get an alignment after this and have found no difference in driving or tire wear.

If the coil springs did not break, I would not have replaced the struts because the shocks were still working fine. I found that the coil springs on Toyotas don't last long, with 3 broken ones on 2 cars not long after 100K. All of them have the same signature, about 3/4 of the turn at the bottom so they did not cause any other damage and allowing the car to continue driving. I wouldn't have known if I didn't find the broken piece hanging on a frame or during tire changeover inpsections.
Last edited by gumby on Nov 1st, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6441 posts
3460 upvotes
Mississauga
FWIW, I had a 2010 CTS-V and had to replace the rear struts after 7 years. Even though I did the work myself, each strut was about $400 from Rock Auto (lol at the stealership who wanted to charge me $900 apiece).

Magnetic ride was awesome but when it came time to fix things it was a spicy meatball.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5587 posts
3158 upvotes
Ottawa
RubiconX wrote: LOL so much talk and nobody answered the question for OP :facepalm:
I did the best I could in post #12:
Good front struts will set the OP back a couple hundred a side for the parts and the rears will be substantially cheaper...I have no idea how much labour is involved on a Civic but the cars I've done it's maybe 30 minutes for the rears and one to two hours for each of the fronts
I don't drive a 2012 Civic so I couldn't do any better than that. Sorry.
Aug 8, 2004
576 posts
331 upvotes
Ottawa
I changed the shocks and struts on my 2016 HRV @ 100,000km and it’s made a huge difference. The ride is so much better now.

It doesn’t have to be leaking to justify replacement.

Consider changing the sway bar bushings and end links at the same time since they’ll be in the vicinity.
Aug 8, 2004
576 posts
331 upvotes
Ottawa
I replaced with the Sachs brand which I see is also available for your 2012 civic on rock auto.