• May 2nd, 2021 9:47 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
42 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa

Cost of stones

My neighbor wants to put stones and steps between our two homes. Any advice about how much it will cost and any questions to ask from the contractor. As I am new to this kind of work and also how much is the reasonable cost per square feet for a pathway along the driveway in Ottawa. Any good contractors so that I can get quotes from myself. Thanks in advance for the advice.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9526 posts
2111 upvotes
Somewhere
Can you Google some pictures of what you're referring to and post them here?
:confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1640 posts
962 upvotes
Toronto
Someone in my neighborhood replaced the grass in the median between his house and the one on his side with stones. It looks terrible.

A lot of garden centers and Home Depot have online prices for stones.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4836 posts
3702 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: Someone in my neighborhood replaced the grass in the median between his house and the one on his side with stones. It looks terrible.
I agree. I don't think it's a good idea for many reason...e.g. weeds popping out but also it's better to have more green space than hard.

Also this is an easy DIY job if you don't want to spend $$ on a contractor. Not sure what kind of stones you're looking for but you may want to check on Kijiji sometimes people are giving away large quantities because they're getting rid of what you're trying to accomplish Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I personally think it's silly to pay for stones/rocks.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EDU1999 wrote: My neighbor wants to put stones and steps between our two homes. Any advice about how much it will cost and any questions to ask from the contractor. As I am new to this kind of work and also how much is the reasonable cost per square feet for a pathway along the driveway in Ottawa. Any good contractors so that I can get quotes from myself. Thanks in advance for the advice.
iEyeCaptain wrote: Can you Google some pictures of what you're referring to and post them here?
This

OP ... you say stones
Do you mean flat patio stones / pavers ... or river rocks

Cuz the look would be drastically different ... as well as the cost

EDIT / ADD - At a past home in a subdivision where the houses were fairly close together
And thereby little sun for anything to grow
We put in a patio stone pathway between the 2 houses
And edged it with about a foot on either side of river rock
The river rock ... although a hard surface was laid over the soil
So drainage was good / maintained
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1735 posts
1174 upvotes
Southern Ontario
So little information to go on... if you are talking about a large quantity, the hauling might be as much as the material.

Even patio stones are hard to work with, even with your own pickup truck.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9526 posts
2111 upvotes
Somewhere
Fellas, I want to do some renovations on my dwelling-home. How much will it cost?
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1324 posts
1257 upvotes
Clarington, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: Fellas, I want to do some renovations on my dwelling-home. How much will it cost?
One million dollars.
Images
  • EA4C812A-1878-4AED-863B-146415144490.jpeg
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: Fellas, I want to do some renovations on my dwelling-home. How much will it cost?
bout tree-fifty
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
42 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks everybody for your time and advice. I don’t want it but as a nice neighbor I have to share the cost with the other neighbor who is doing it. Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9789 posts
3336 upvotes
koffey wrote: bout tree-fifty
lol
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EDU1999 wrote: Thanks everybody for your time and advice. I don’t want it but as a nice neighbor I have to share the cost with the other neighbor who is doing it. Thanks again.
Listen, forget the smart aleck remarks in this thread.
They are being made ... cuz you didn’t provide enough info

See my Reply # 5

Tell us more about what it is that’s actually planned
And your fellow RFDers will happily give you a reference point as to cost
Be it DIY or hiring someone.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1265 posts
965 upvotes
EDU1999 wrote: Thanks everybody for your time and advice. I don’t want it but as a nice neighbor I have to share the cost with the other neighbor who is doing it. Thanks again.
If the neighbor wants it and is going to be spearheading the project, get them to get quotes and show you pictures of what they want.

From there you could ask us for opinions with that info. Also, from the sounds of it, its going to be a small job which is harder for us to provide unit rates for because it may come at a premium.

Anyways, once you get the costs in mind, then you can figure out if paying that half is worth it to you, from the perspective of what you get in landscaping but also in appeasing your good neighbour, which is something only you can evaluate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5823 posts
5338 upvotes
EDU1999 wrote: My neighbor wants to put stones and steps between our two homes. Any advice about how much it will cost and any questions to ask from the contractor. As I am new to this kind of work and also how much is the reasonable cost per square feet for a pathway along the driveway in Ottawa. Any good contractors so that I can get quotes from myself. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Without specifics, I can only tell you that you are going to get quotes all over the place, most of them being much higher than you anticipated.

If you are talking about interlocking, we're talking anywhere from $2000-$20000+

Or roughly $20-$50+ per square ft
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
Be super mindful about the water run off. You don't want to change the elevation and end up with a river in your basement. I'd leave it as grass and explain to the neighbor that it is not in your best interest to play with grading.

Just my 2 cents.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5839 posts
251 upvotes
GTA
crushed stone is about $40/yard plus delivery ($40-$60). I used small river rocks @ $45/yard. To calculate how much you need just take the square footage and divide by 108. This will tell you how many yards you will need to get 3 inches of stone.
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
42 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks a lot you solved my problem sir. I will contact you when I will get the quote from my neighbor. Thanks again
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12696 posts
9444 upvotes
GTA, ON
Whatever you do, just don't mess with grading or drainage. Consider one shared pathway in the middle and everything else bordered with stone. Don't change the grading slope.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5929 posts
4223 upvotes
This.

I really love those thread asking how much will it cost without any further infos. Area to cover? which ''stones''? DYI or done by professionals landscapers?

I am looking to replace my car. Heading to automotive forum to ask how much it will cost to replace my car...