• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 9:32 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
539 posts
11 upvotes

Cost to uninstall and re-install AC unit

Hi everyone,

We need to do some work in the back of the house to fix some foundation issues. There will be digging in the back yard and thus need to move the AC unit.

Anyone know the cost to do such work (Unhook, move, rehook in 2 weeks) and also any recommended people/companies?

Thanks.
18 replies
Aug 7, 2006
254 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I've received one quote for $600 to move my AC unit from the back of the house to the side. I haven't gotten any others but it sets a baseline at least.
Banned
Aug 1, 2017
19 posts
9 upvotes
the hammer
ct027 wrote: Hi everyone,

We need to do some work in the back of the house to fix some foundation issues. There will be digging in the back yard and thus need to move the AC unit.

Anyone know the cost to do such work (Unhook, move, rehook in 2 weeks) and also any recommended people/companies?

Thanks.
where are you located?
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Local Durham newspaper about AC bylaws mentioned $600 to move an AC from the side to back of the house.

But are you reconnecting the AC during those two weeks or leaving disconnected? I think they collect your refrigerant, cut and move line, then refill with what they collected. I don't know about storing refrigerant for two weeks.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
I got a price of $400 in Windsor from two different random companies to remove and reinstall at some later date, so I figure it's $200/visit (I'm doing foundation/drain tile work). They've likely got a considerable store of refrigerant anyways, so I wouldn't imagine they'd have any reason to charge a storage fee.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
539 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
I'm located in Scarborough.

One company I checked quoted $1,000 which I thought was substantial. Based on the responses so far it's definitely high but in the ballpark. Will have to make some more calls.

Any other suggestions welcome.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
539 posts
11 upvotes
No not using it for the 2 weeks.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1609 upvotes
Alliston, ON
When I got my a/c moved I was quoted $700-100. That was reusing the same lines.
To do it properly, it's pretty much like a new install when hooking it up. The lines should be flushed, pressure checked, then filled and tested.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4469 posts
26472 upvotes
I must be in the wrong business.. these guys make a killing doing this work.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Banned
Feb 13, 2017
951 posts
1275 upvotes
markopas wrote: I must be in the wrong business.. these guys make a killing doing this work.
haha seriously....frigin guys moving and re-connecting a AC unit charging $700 lol. How many hours can this possibly take? Ridiculous...

My dad once got a quote from an HVAC guy for something that would have taken 1.5 hours of labour (and my dad provides the part), and the guy wanted $500. My dad looked at him and asked if hes an HVAC guy or a brain surgeon...
Banned
Aug 1, 2017
19 posts
9 upvotes
the hammer
ct027 wrote: Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
I'm located in Scarborough.

One company I checked quoted $1,000 which I thought was substantial. Based on the responses so far it's definitely high but in the ballpark. Will have to make some more calls.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Climate change mechanical. they have a perfect review on homestars. I've used them 3 times. They are the best. Out of etobicoke. id check them out 416 554 1662
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11959 posts
7127 upvotes
Paris
schade wrote: When I got my a/c moved I was quoted $700-100. That was reusing the same lines.
To do it properly, it's pretty much like a new install when hooking it up. The lines should be flushed, pressure checked, then filled and tested.
Moved is 400% more work than disconnected and connected again. Bonus is that they should pressurize correctly and AC will work a little better. Was explained to me by our guy that the units ship pressurized and then the lines to/from unit make it drop a wee bit. When we bought our latest place I had furnace/AC/gas fireplaces all inspected and cleaned etc. They charged her up a wee.

$600-700 should probably get it done, maybe as low as $400. I have a fitter next door and my Dad knows 2 plus things are cheaper out here as rent is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
To be sure, you're simply asking about disconnecting and reconnecting in the exact same spot @ a later date, right? A lot of these comments are about moving it to another spot, which is considerably more labour than disconnect/reconnect.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
539 posts
11 upvotes
drinkinbeer wrote: Climate change mechanical. they have a perfect review on homestars. I've used them 3 times. They are the best. Out of etobicoke. id check them out 416 554 1662
Thanks will give em a call.
ChubChub wrote: To be sure, you're simply asking about disconnecting and reconnecting in the exact same spot @ a later date, right? A lot of these comments are about moving it to another spot, which is considerably more labour than disconnect/reconnect.
That's right. Need it temporarily uninstalled and then reinstalled at the very same spot.
Jul 20, 2012
747 posts
312 upvotes
Guelph
Shaidin wrote: Local Durham newspaper about AC bylaws mentioned $600 to move an AC from the side to back of the house.

But are you reconnecting the AC during those two weeks or leaving disconnected? I think they collect your refrigerant, cut and move line, then refill with what they collected. I don't know about storing refrigerant for two weeks.
The refrigerant is stored in the condensing unit (outdoor unit). The a/c person pumps the system down into the outdoor unit. They should also cap the lines off so no moisture gets into the system.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2733 upvotes
ON
What about plan B, moving it to wall mounted that stays in place through all the digging?
Saves the second service trip, which will have a min cost associated.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
539 posts
11 upvotes
aqnd wrote: What about plan B, moving it to wall mounted that stays in place through all the digging?
Saves the second service trip, which will have a min cost associated.
It's a good idea but don't really have the space. It's a townhouse and the back is mostly windows.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11959 posts
7127 upvotes
Paris
crocp8 wrote: haha seriously....frigin guys moving and re-connecting a AC unit charging $700 lol. How many hours can this possibly take? Ridiculous...
Minimum 2 hours on each end when you add in transit time, then paperwork at either end, licenses, insurance, WSIB... Funny how people want to make all kinds of money but then think anyone else trying to cover their overhead is a ripoff artist.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23253 posts
4691 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Hot damn these prices are crazy. I got mine done for $300 about 2 years ago. $150 for each visit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)