Health & Wellness

Cost of wisdom teeth removal in Toronto?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 7:50 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 23, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Cost of wisdom teeth removal in Toronto?

Hey all,

I have three wisdom teeth to be removed. One has fully grown out and the other two are partially impacted. One of the partially impacted teeth is causing my gum swollen so I am hoping to have these teeth removed asap.

However, the quote I received from the office is around $1850 under general anaesthesia. Because my insurance for this financial year has been used up, I really have to pay everything from my own pocket.

Do you guys think this price is reasonable or should I consult other surgeons? What are the recommendations for surgeons in Toronto area?

Thanks so much for the inputs!
13 replies
Jr. Member
Jan 25, 2011
143 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
My brother had his wisdom teeth removed and they didn't charge him for anaesthetic. It was a simple removal so it was cheap (covered by insurance). Maybe you can go and get a quote there. Bite Dental: http://dentalclinicintoronto.ca/.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
just go with Novocaine being injected into your gums, the impacted one will require some incision into your gum and getting it stitched up later. 1850 is just taking you to the dry cleaners while half is more reasonable.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
4881 posts
3183 upvotes
Was put to sleep and all 4 wisdom teeth were taken out at the University of Toronto dental school over 2 years ago. Had the most beautiful blonde assisting with the dental surgery and that is why I remember it like it was yesterday. LOL

Don't have time to look for the bill right now, so i can't tell you the exact cost. However, I can tell you it was under $600 taxes in that much I know.

http://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/patien ... clinic-faq
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 23, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Mr_Fanta wrote: Was put to sleep and all 4 wisdom teeth were taken out at the University of Toronto dental school over 2 years ago. Had the most beautiful blonde assisting with the dental surgery and that is why I remember it like it was yesterday. LOL

Don't have time to look for the bill right now, so i can't tell you the exact cost. However, I can tell you it was under $600 taxes in that much I know.

http://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/patien ... clinic-faq
Just called this afternoon..since all students are gone atm, I have to wait 'till this September
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 23, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Were his teeth impacted too?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
253 upvotes
Well, to people thinking that $1800 is a lot, consider that if this is an OMFS doing this, he most likely went to an undergrad for 4 years, followed by 4 years of dentistry, another 2-4 years of medicine (depending on the school as some schools recognize the first 2 years of dental school as they are 2 years of medicine in conjunction with dental teachings), then another 3-4 years as an OMFS resident. Why shouldn't he command that sort of fee?

And if you think you can remove them cheaper elsewhere, would you look for the cheapest surgeon to perform any other form of surgery?

That said, the cost of GA is roughly $500 give or take, so the OMFS isn't pocketing the entire $1800. And I don't see anyone complaining that an anesthesiologist charges $500 for sitting around, watching a monitor for an hour or so.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
Sibica wrote: Well, to people thinking that $1800 is a lot, consider that if this is an OMFS doing this, he most likely went to an undergrad for 4 years, followed by 4 years of dentistry, another 2-4 years of medicine (depending on the school as some schools recognize the first 2 years of dental school as they are 2 years of medicine in conjunction with dental teachings), then another 3-4 years as an OMFS resident. Why shouldn't he command that sort of fee?

And if you think you can remove them cheaper elsewhere, would you look for the cheapest surgeon to perform any other form of surgery?

That said, the cost of GA is roughly $500 give or take, so the OMFS isn't pocketing the entire $1800. And I don't see anyone complaining that an anesthesiologist charges $500 for sitting around, watching a monitor for an hour or so.
OP was asking if 1850 was reasonable so other members chimed in on their own experiences and prices paid.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
253 upvotes
nomdesplumes wrote: OP was asking if 1850 was reasonable so other members chimed in on their own experiences and prices paid.
It's RFD. People are cheap. Point being? Don't let your cheapness dictate your choice in surgeon.

Thought that was pretty self-explanatory.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
Sibica wrote: It's RFD. People are cheap. Point being? Don't let your cheapness dictate your choice in surgeon.

Thought that was pretty self-explanatory.
Yes it is rfd where all the cheap people lurk, unfortunately it is because of cheapness where the choice will be made. Too bad there are not any backyard surgeons on kijiji to remove wisdom teeth. Otherwise that guy will be reaping in the money because it is cheapness.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1038 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
I paid around $1100 to remove three wisdom teeth. This was performed by two dentists (DDS), not an OMFS.

They gave me an anaesthetic through the IV, it was one step below being knocked out completely.

If you are seeing an OMFS, they might charge more. And it also depends on the complication of the teeth you are removing. Depending on where the teeth are and whether they are close to a nerve, you might want to opt for the experience of the OMFS over a regular dentist. Two of my teeth were removed in a pretty straightforward manner but there was one that was out and that cost me twice as much to remove (200 x 2 + 400 + 250 for anaesthetic).

Seeing as your case looks to have some complications it doesn't sound like the price they are charging is outrageous.
Jr. Member
Feb 12, 2015
116 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I need to pull my 4 wisdom teeth and was wondering if anyone has done it recently ... what are the prices like now?
Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2007
454 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
The prices for wisdom teeth removal have not changed much from what others have posted here from years ago! But I think it really depends on how complicated your wisdom teeth are positioned.

I had recently done mine and it came up to around $1600 for 4 teeth - insurance covered most of it. However, I did not get IV sedation that would have cost extra, don't remember the exact number. But I did get the optional PRF treatment which I feel helped with the recovery because I was back to normal within a week.

This is the place I went to in downtown Toronto after some researching - they do explain their pricing for wisdom teeth removal on their website: Dentistry on King https://dentistryonking.net/wisdom-teeth-removal/
Last edited by ali88 on Feb 1st, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telus - RBC Business Offer ~$37/line
>>> Message Me <<<
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2011
1031 posts
546 upvotes
I don't know much about the pricing as mine was covered under insurance at the time I got it done about 10 years ago (two bottom ones removed). What I will say is do your research on the surgeon or clinic and don't cheap out. After I got mine removed my Jaw has never been the same, I cannot open it as wide as I use to, there is pain in the morning and my jaw makes a clicking/popping sound when I move it. I felt immense pressure when the surgeon was taking out my teeth, it was like he was pressing down with all his might on my jaw (I was given needles to numb the pain I wasn't put under). This has definitely affected my life on a daily basis since then.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)